Bye Bye Boris!

Beany

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Beany »

Yellowhammer!

It's hilarious. They can't even guarantee that water treatment could keep up, due to relying on imports.

Fucking amazing..

NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Can't wait for electricity to go up "substantially" and 2 oil refineries closing amid strikes affecting fuel supplies (that's the redacted bit, in case you were wondering)
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ha, I did see that earlier and wonder where that was in Goodall's summary!
Attachments
Screenshot_20190911_220132.jpg
Screenshot_20190911_220132.jpg (315.46 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
Beany

Post by Beany »

But hey, let's just be positive about it, our Blitz Spirit will see us right :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

'Project fear mk2' etc. :roll: Time to roast some gammon...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

Listened to that earlier and it was fantastic.
Beany

Post by Beany »

And before anyone bangs on about it being "worst case"...

Well, no. It's the base scenario.

They just changed the name
Screenshot_20190911_224558.jpg
Screenshot_20190911_224558.jpg (195.32 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:40 am The technical section seems a bit light on detail, but that could equally be me not having the depth of understanding to join the dots.

Either way I think it is at best a distraction (by Boris).
Finally, after more than a decade, you guys stumble upon the topic that I am qualified to comment on as a marine civil engineer... never expected it to be this thread! :D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:51 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:40 am The technical section seems a bit light on detail, but that could equally be me not having the depth of understanding to join the dots.

Finally, after more than a decade, you guys stumble upon the topic that I am qualified to comment on as a marine civil engineer... never expected it to be this thread! :D
Talk to us then. What's your professional opinion on the feasibility of the bridge as per the two quotes?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Isn't it absolutely incredible that throughout this entire clusterfuck of incompetence, lying, cheating, shouting and general chicanery that has split the country in two and made us the laughing stock of the international community, the Brexitards still think it's totally worth it without really knowing what "it" is.

I like to think the referendum was simply a covert way of establishing those with inadequate IQ so they can be quietly chemically castrated. But I know this is unlikely to be correct, sadly.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:29 am
duncs500 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:51 am

Talk to us then. What's your professional opinion on the feasibility of the bridge as per the two quotes?
As you say, technical details are scant. What I can say without really looking into it is that the cost would be huge, and technical challenges would be immense, but those are the most interesting projects! Few things are impossible with enough money, so I wouldn't go that far, but I don't think it will get far off the ground.

The first guy seems to know what he's talking about. I wouldn't know about the weather in terms of operational restrictions (this could presumably be manipulated in the design anyway to some degree), but during construction the weather up there will definitely make it a slow and painful pursuit. Modern cranes and safety regs are very sensitive to high winds, and although you can manipulate the method to use them less they will still be integral (so expect some very large and expensive marine plant to be sat in port for long periods doing nothing).

I've done a fair bit of work with unexploded ordinance, including offshore, but in that volume and at that depth I don't know whether clearing it even in isolated areas would be feasible. I need to read up on this floating bridge in Norway, but I have been to a lecture on putting together big floating wind turbines in Scotland and that was quite an undertaking to do just one. How that translates into a series of floating piers that stay stable enough to be connected and support highway (let alone railway) would be interesting.

In summary, if it happens, I want in... but in the real world, with real money, I can't see it. :)
Richard

Post by Richard »

Beany wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:47 pm Yellowhammer!

It's hilarious. They can't even guarantee that water treatment could keep up, due to relying on imports.

Fucking amazing..

They’re expecting that we could only have 40% of the meds we need.

Blue passports though, ammirite

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Thanks! Very helpful. So it is a distraction by BoZo.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:16 am Thanks! Very helpful. So it is a distraction by BoZo.
Oh of course. The same as the big spending plan, and the 'exciting' post prorogation announcement of grand plans. I'm sure everything he says and does are halfwitted tactics related to Brexit in some way. Even if some generate real benefits that will be secondary in their conception and probably more out of luck than judgement.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 am I like to think the referendum was simply a covert way of establishing those with inadequate IQ so they can be quietly chemically castrated.
If they could successfully segregate based on IQ, do you really think it would be the dumb, manipulable ones they'd off? ;)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ah - yeah, good point I guess. Shite - theory blown.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I haven't read this thread since Tuesday, but I just know 'Project Fear' will be mentioned by Broccers again.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 am I've done a fair bit of work with unexploded ordinance, including offshore.
:shock: I think we need a "fun stories on the job" thread. Have you read "This is not a drill" by Paul Carter?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

:lol:

Re the drugs thing even though I don't take any for t2 diabetes at the moment they send emails through. This is where they are with planning
https://blogs.diabetes.org.uk/?p=11050

Doesnt seem to be so deathly to me but then I'm an optimist :D