Bye Bye Boris!

Broccers

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Broccers »

Beany wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:44 pm Go on BrocStar, give us your considered thoughts on the situation 8-)
A complete disaster.
Beany

Post by Beany »

ohno.jpeg
ohno.jpeg (65.74 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:10 pm Ahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Another fucking bridge.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Because his history with them is just so, so exceptionally good.
It's hardly "exclusive" news - there's been talk of it for some years, and he was quizzed on it in July whilst over in NI. Sturgeon also commented in the positive on the idea (well as positive as she could on anything that's not Indyref).

In fact "In February 2018, The Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Simon Coveney, publicly called for a feasibility study into the bridge during an address at Chatham House following a meeting with Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, suggesting it was a means of nurturing the relations between the United Kingdom and Ireland, despite the challenges presented."

And since then there's been growing support in both NI and Scotland for a link, to the extent that concepts have been developed. All this well before Johnson was tasked with pursuing the idea further.

Just another shit bit of journalism from C4 News.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Perhaps they could build some sort of big causeway? A giant one.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Obviously a project to build a bridge between Scotland and NI would not end up like HS2. Nope, would never happen...
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

It's more the fact that Boris's history with bridges is....shall we say, not exactly exemplary.

That, and you know, it's a fucking stupid idea.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Some more on that stupid idea:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

So a tunnel, then? With one part blasting itself?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

Perogation unlawful click
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

That'd work. Although someone did suggest on twitter than floating, anchored pontoons would solve the problem.

Presumably someone who has literally never seen the sea.

Anyway, this is a bit more interesting:
Boris Johnsons suspension of Parliament deemed illegal

If you're wondering what that sound is, it's what an immovable air moving device gets struck by an unstoppable amount of faecal matter.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It goes to the High Court on Tuesday. No shit-hitting until then at the soonest.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:29 am It goes to the High Court on Tuesday. No shit-hitting until then at the soonest.
Oh let me have my fun.

The Scottish Judiciary website has wholly collapsed under the load, which is at least moderately entertaining for me. :)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:16 am Some more on that stupid idea:
Which has also be responded to by the guy that's actually been the one promoting the idea (not Boris) Prof Alan Duncan of Liverpool Uni.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am
Which has also be responded to by the guy that's actually been the one promoting the idea (not Boris) Prof Alan Duncan of Liverpool Uni.
Link? Curious to see what he responds with. I'm no engineer, but to me that reads like formidable obstacles.
---
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:46 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am
Link? Curious to see what he responds with. I'm no engineer, but to me that reads like formidable obstacles.
EFA - Prof Alan Dunlop, not Duncan

Wiki about it all here: NI-Scotland Bridge

Since 2010 sections quoted as follows:

"he idea for a Scotland to Northern Ireland Bridge, sometimes branded in the press as the Celtic Crossing or Irish Sea Bridge, was revived in 2018, by Professor Alan Dunlop at the University of Liverpool.[22] He proposed a combined road and rail crossing between Portpatrick, in Dumfries and Galloway, and Larne in Northern Ireland, stating that "the coastline between each country is more sheltered and the waterway better protected" than the English Channel, where Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson had recently proposed a bridge. He suggested that this would create a 'Celtic powerhouse' due to the potential for an increase in trade between the two countries, and the increase in investment from the construction of the project which he put at between £15 billion and £20 billion (a fraction of the £120 billion cost of the proposed bridge over the English Channel).[23][21]

Proposals to overcome the problems presented by the Beaufort's Dyke Trench, if it could not be cleared, include floating the bridge on 500m deep connecting sea orbs connected to the seabed with tension cables, similar to those used on bridges in Norway.[24] Professor Dunlop also suggested that the construction processes used for the Øresund Bridge be looked at as a model for the proposed bridge.[22] The Øresund bridge had by 2018 provided an £10bn return on its initial investment (But it has 3 million people living within 25 miles from either end of the bridge, and North Channel does not have this population).[25] The National (a Scottish newspaper) suggested the idea "would be a huge boost to the economies of both countries, opening up trade and putting the otherwise neglected far South West of Scotland in the centre of a major route". It did however also state that "There would have to be massive investment in infrastructure to upgrade the road and rail connections, especially on the Scottish side. The main roads leading to Stranraer are narrow, twisting, and unsuited for the amount of traffic that they currently have, never mind the increased traffic that would be generated by a fixed link. The single rail line from Ayr to Stranraer would have to be upgraded and electrified, and the rail link from Stranraer to Dumfries reinstated".[26]

It has also been suggested that such a bridge would be able to link up with the High Speed Rail project between Glasgow and Edinburgh, set to open in 2024, as well as the UKs wider High Speed Rail 2 project, and a possible Belfast to Dublin high speed rail line mooted in 2017.[27][28] A 2007 paper by the Centre for Cross Border Studies had previously suggested that with track upgrades trains would be able to reach in excess of 200 mph (320 km/h).[29]

Further support has come from the fact that this part of Scotland has a large number of established ports and harbours, meaning it could form an epicenter for trade to America, Canada, the Caribbean and Scandinavia for both Scotland and Northern Ireland, as well as the UK, Ireland and Europe more generally. Commentators in the i newspaper also suggested that such a bridge would have the potential to create a "tourism corridor" between Northern Ireland and Scotland.[30] Professor Dunlop has also noted the similarities between such a bridge and the Norwegian Coastal Highway, which forms a 680 mile route crossing 20 fjords between Kristiansand and Trondheim, with 9 ferries but suggested to be using floating bridges and tunnels at a cost of around £30bn.[31] Senior economist Esmond Birnie at the University of Ulster claimed that "Recent economic theory has emphasised the advantages of "agglomeration" arising from faster, cheaper transport: bigger and better labour markets and increased networking between firms" and put the annual benefit from the bridge in the hundreds of millions.[32]

The project was first endorsed in late February 2018 by Scottish Brexit Minister Michael Russell MSP, who when addressing the Republic of Ireland's Seanad joint committee on European Union affairs stated that "I think it’s a great idea, it would open up my constituency and that’s a good headline to see. There is a lot of talking to be done about that but I think it is important that talking starts. I know recent coverage indicates that it should happen".[33] In February 2018, The Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Simon Coveney, publicly called for a feasibility study into the bridge during an address at Chatham House following a meeting with Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, suggesting it was a means of nurturing the relations between the United Kingdom and Ireland, despite the challenges presented.[34]

By March 2018 the idea appeared to have the full support of the Scottish government, with a spokesman telling the BBC that it intended to "initiate discussions" on the bridge with both parties in Belfast, and the government of Ireland.[35] and that Transport Scotland officials would be conducting talks with their counterparts in Northern Ireland.[36] Mike Russell MSP said he had been in touch with Professor Alan Dunlop to discuss the bridge, claiming that "A bridge, together with better road links to the central belt, would open up Argyll in a dramatic new way" and that he was "keen to see public bodies investigate the feasibility of such a link". He went on to claim that Highlands and Islands Enterprise and Transport Scotland were willing to contribute funds towards a feasibility study.[37]

By April 2018 the Mayor of Mid and East Antrim had extended an invitation, on behalf of the council, to the relevant bodies in the government to further explore Larne as the possible end site for the bridge. The Mayor cited the short distance to Belfast, as well as the county's extensive film, tourism and leisure industries as reasons for consideration.[38] On 25 April 2018 Ards and North Down Borough Council voted to write to the Scottish government, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, and the Department for Infrastructure requesting the east coast of the Borough also be considered as a possible end site for the bridge. The councils official opposition had objected to the request, claiming that the council should instead support the claim of neighboring county Mid and East Antrim, as they believe the infrastructure already exists in Larne, while Donaghadee would be unprepared for the impact of such a bridge.[39] The Belfast Telegraph suggested that this was reminiscent of ancient rivalries between the local ports.[40] A spokesman for the Scottish government suggested that speculation on possible impacts on specific sites was premature as the project, including the design for the crossing, was still in its early stages.[41] A spokesman for the Scottish government had previously stated that “Given the scale of any such fixed link, it is important that all options are fully considered”.[42] In July, Arlene Foster, leader of the DUP, conceded that there appeared to be a growing support for the bridge.[43]

In August 2018 Jane Morrice, former Deputy Speaker to the Northern Irish Assembly, suggested that funding possibilities for the bridge were "vast", with private investors seeking infrastructure projects and investment from China. She also suggested funding could be raised from "EU sources [which] could include the cross-border INTERREG programme, the European Investment Bank, the TransEuropean Network and HORIZON 2020. The EU PEACE programme could be another valuable source because the bridge would still respect the Good Friday Agreement by promoting peace and prosperity in the region." She claimed that "The political and symbolic importance of such a link can't be underestimated, and the economic, social and cultural advantages could be significant".[44] The Glasgow Urban Laboratory had published a report suggesting that a high-speed rail link connecting Edinburgh to Dublin via Glasgow and Belfast would be "transformative" for the economies of both Scotland and Ireland saying,[45] "fast-track rail links, both within Scotland and linking to other countries, and an updated road system, are priorities".[46] At the Urbanism at Borders Conference in Aberdeen, Professor Dunlop pitched the idea of the bridge at a keynote speech to an audience of international academics, architects, and engineers at Robert Gordon University.[47]

By October 2018 the first images of the proposed bridge had been released.[31] MP Paul Girvan, transport spokesman for the DUP wrote an article in support of the bridge, stating that the munitions dumped in Beaufort's Dyke after world war two, often cited as a hurdle for the bridge project, are already washing up on beaches in Ireland and the UK and so a cleanup operation was already necessary regardless of whether the bridge was going to be built.[48] Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Karen Bradley responding to questions in parliament indicated the government was aware of the issues regarding the seabed in this area, and also suggested that the bridge was being discussed by the cabinet.[49]

By 2019 Nicola Sturgeon spoke out in favour of the bridge, stating that "Whether it's around a bridge or in other ways strengthening the relationship between Scotland, the north of Ireland and the Republic of Ireland is a big priority for my government."[50] It was also suggested that depending on the relationship of Scotland and Northern Ireland with the EU after Brexit the EU could use the port at Cockenzie and the Scotland-Ireland bridge as a means of transporting EU goods to Ireland via the Netherlands.[51] As part of his campaign for the 2019 Conservative Party leadership election Boris Johnson suggested that he supported the construction of the bridge, describing himself as "an enthusiast for that idea", and adding that he believed it would be best "championed by local people with local consent and interest, backed by local business".[52]"
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:34 am Obviously a project to build a bridge between Scotland and NI would not end up like HS2. Nope, would never happen...
That, I don't have much faith that a large scale civil engineering project would be sensibly managed here at the moment.

The ongoing Edinburgh trams fiasco is another good example :lol:.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mind, I'm not sure how far the Prof's expertise extends given he's an architect. I haven't delved that far.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The technical section seems a bit light on detail, but that could equally be me not having the depth of understanding to join the dots.

Either way I think it is at best a distraction (by Boris).
---
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

This made me laugh this morning...

The Comment piece on how Brexiteers view of the Irish as Drunken oafs is totally wrong... is followed by an article about how Cut Price Booze is on the way back!!!

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:40 am The technical section seems a bit light on detail, but that could equally be me not having the depth of understanding to join the dots.

Either way I think it is at best a distraction (by Boris).
He hasn't said anything on it since July though AFAIK. It was a crappy piece by Cathy Newman for C4 that was trying to claim an exclusive on something that was already out in the open, with her article completely pitched on the basis that it's all Boris' idea (demonstrably untrue). They even had the Lib Dem MP Carmichael on to hurl some abuse Boris' way about it being a distraction. Now all the MSM outlets are reporting it.