No F1 thread?

NotoriousREV

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:11 pm All the engines are becoming pretty similar now as they were towards the ends of the V8 era, so we’re due for the 2021 rule change to give us a new team to win 5 titles back to back.
Given that it’s Ross Brawn in charge of the new rules, and Rob Smedley is working as a consultant, would it be paranoid of me to suggest that the rules changes just might favour Ferrari?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

:lol:
One thing is for sure, it will make F1 “cheaper” on paper yet cost many billions to develop, increase the gap between the manufacturer teams and the independents and bring the F1 engine in ever closer alignment with the 1.6 litre lump found in a Renault Clio making fans happier.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Class job by Leclerc, I think many suspected it wouldn't take long before he started making Vettel look like the ordinary driver he is and so it has come to pass.

I don't know how I feel about the stewards' apparent leniency on Leclerc. It was good racing, and I don't want to stop that, but is that consistent stewarding with previous races? I'm not sure it was. Difficult one.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I don’t think what Leclerc did to Hamilton is any worse that what happened to Albon.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

LeClerc is fortunate that he’s up against Hamilton who is fighting for the championship. If he doesn’t leave a space or swerves against someone more feisty like Verstappen he’ll get what what he deserves!
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, definitely a bit naughty, but at least we got to see another x laps of fighting.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Good for next year though - 3 superb drivers in 3 different top teams.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:33 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 am Because he's the self-appointed motorsport regulation guru 👍🏼
Who, Duncs, who thinks he knows better than the FIA (who are perhaps being a little teensy bit safety conscious, what with having 1 dead driver a week earlier and another barrel rolling into the catch fencing at high speed this weekend), or OC?

The red flag procedure isn’t: Crash -> Let’s have a quick look at the driver tracker -> figure out who’s on a hot lap or not -> decide that those last few cars *probably* won’t crash in the same place -> stick the flags out
At least I’ve worked as part of that team/organisation for ten years covering all levels of motorsport :)
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:11 pm All the engines are becoming pretty similar now as they were towards the ends of the V8 era, so we’re due for the 2021 rule change to give us a new team to win 5 titles back to back.
Given that it’s Ross Brawn in charge of the new rules, and Rob Smedley is working as a consultant, would it be paranoid of me to suggest that the rules changes just might favour Ferrari?
No I don't think so, Ross had his own successful team and Rob followed Massa to Williams, I don't see why they would suddenly go back and support Ferarri.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:42 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 pm
No I don't think so, Ross had his own successful team and Rob followed Massa to Williams, I don't see why they would suddenly go back and support Ferarri.
Well Ross was ousted from Mercedes in an unpleasant way...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I know way back in the 50s or 60s (cannot remember exactly) that the FIA changed the regs to allow Ferrari to bring in a new engine size that they had developed and was really rather good, as at the time they were being pasted by the opposition.

I am not sure whether it would be so easy to predict what specific reg would suit a specific team nowadays though as the cars are so complicated.

I also think that Smedley and Brawn have more integrity.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I'm not really suggesting that they'll consciously favour Ferrari, but given they've both spent a significant amount of their careers there, they possibly work in a very Ferrari way and have a Ferrari way of thinking.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

It’s officially over, finally
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

“We’ve had a public bust up, made shit loads of cash and now we’re off. Cheers for the ride!”
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I can’t see how anyone’s made a shit load of money out of it?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I can see how a load of investors have lost a load of money, but I expect Haas are probably very short of funds and now without a major sponsor and RE are still probably kidding themselves they have money.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 am I can’t see how anyone’s made a shit load of money out of it?
I wasn’t referring to them having made shit loads in the obvious fashion, it’s always been a bit fishy on the RE side...
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Haas retaining their driver line up. I must admit I expected somebody to pinch Grosjean's seat as he has been pretty inconsistent and moany the last couple of seasons. I would have taken Hulk over him but perhaps Kevin was less keen to have him on the team :)

Wonder if that is Hulk out of F1 as there cannot be too many decent seats left.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

As a former sauber driver I wonder if they would consider him over at Alfa if there’s no Ferrari academy driver seen as being ready to take over giovanazzi, that’s assuming they’re not on drugs and decide to keep him :roll: He also has history at Williams so perhaps that could be an option instead of kubica. I would say he has most history with racing force India point but can’t see daddy stroll kicking out baby stroll
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gavin wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 am Haas retaining their driver line up. I must admit I expected somebody to pinch Grosjean's seat as he has been pretty inconsistent and moany the last couple of seasons. I would have taken Hulk over him but perhaps Kevin was less keen to have him on the team :)

Wonder if that is Hulk out of F1 as there cannot be too many decent seats left.
Ferrari will need him when Vettel takes his ball and goes home