No F1 thread?

duncs500

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by duncs500 »

LOL
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So none of the cars respected the minimum time. We might get a bit of a reverse grid tomorrow as the whole thing is under investigation 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rain, mixed up grid, unusually fast Renaults. Should be fun tomorrow.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I just want Hamilton to win again so all the Tifosi suck eggs once more. They’re such poor losers that they were still booing him post qualifying :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Hilarious tactic fail! Has vettels time been cancelled?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:35 pm Hilarious tactic fail! Has vettels time been cancelled?
Nope. Chris Harris retweeted a clear picture of it clearly off the track yet it wasn’t even investigated. Utter bullshit once again.

Edit - I’m also pretty certain the red flag came out before Bottas crosses the finish line but his time got allowed after a while. Bloody weird.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Apparently was investigated - total bullshit result though!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cras ... ment%3famp
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:03 pm Dumb red flag at that point, everyone would have been past Kimi's car before the red flag came out, so you might as well let everyone finish their hot lap and then bring it out surely?
Haven’t seen it but if there’s a good enough reason to call a red flag then that’s it, end of racing, safety of the drivers is seriously compromised. Leaving it for “people to finish their hot lap” is completely against the point of a red flag. If you need to control just a section of the track then that’s what yellows are for, but if someone is in immediate danger then it’s a red.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I do prefer the immediate red flags and calls for safety cars. I feel like during the Whiting era these calls usually took too long and it really felt like it was done so to give a certain team an advantage. Now it’s pretty immediate so it’s just a matter of actual luck on how they affect drivers.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Orange Cola wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:57 pm
duncs500 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:03 pm Dumb red flag at that point, everyone would have been past Kimi's car before the red flag came out, so you might as well let everyone finish their hot lap and then bring it out surely?
Haven’t seen it but if there’s a good enough reason to call a red flag then that’s it, end of racing, safety of the drivers is seriously compromised. Leaving it for “people to finish their hot lap” is completely against the point of a red flag. If you need to control just a section of the track then that’s what yellows are for, but if someone is in immediate danger then it’s a red.
There was no cars near the incident, if they wait 5 seconds everyone gets a laptime, and there's still no cars near the incident. It's just common sense. There was nobody in immediate danger. If you haven't seen it then why disagree?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Because he's the self-appointed motorsport regulation guru 👍🏼
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 am Because he's the self-appointed motorsport regulation guru 👍🏼
Who, Duncs, who thinks he knows better than the FIA (who are perhaps being a little teensy bit safety conscious, what with having 1 dead driver a week earlier and another barrel rolling into the catch fencing at high speed this weekend), or OC?

The red flag procedure isn’t: Crash -> Let’s have a quick look at the driver tracker -> figure out who’s on a hot lap or not -> decide that those last few cars *probably* won’t crash in the same place -> stick the flags out
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

:D

If they had put the red flag out right away I might agree with you, but they dallied around for a bit then did it just after 50% of the drivers crossed the line.

I don't think I know better than the FIA, just a different opinion. I'm sure you've never had one of those Rev. ;)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I have to agree with the “red flag means stop” crew on this one, even though I get what Duncs says too. The problem with interpretation and supposed common sense type judgments is those making them don’t necessarily have all the facts.

Finishing a hot lap on the “safe” part of a circuit under reds might be fine unless someone else has decided that the red flag means it’s safe to bring a Marshall out or stop on a blind bend, etc...

Simple rules are far easier.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:52 am :D

If they had put the red flag out right away I might agree with you, but they dallied around for a bit then did it just after 50% of the drivers crossed the line.

I don't think I know better than the FIA, just a different opinion. I'm sure you've never had one of those Rev. ;)
But everyone behind the incident would have seen double waved yellows so would’ve had a compromised lap anyway. Hamilton was immediately behind Raikonnen and Bottas behind Hamilton. Hamilton passed him whilst he was still having his crash. I think Bottas was borderline. Everyone else will have to demonstrate that they lifted.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Seb to retire this year?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

He’s definitely just not fully committed, is he?

Fantastic drive from Leclerc. Definitely a future champion.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 pm Seb to retire this year?
I suspect he already has but still goes for a Sunday drive.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Vettel is definitely related to the bastard I was following last week in a 458 who drove at a solid 45-50 mph on a lovely B road. Sunday driver in the true word :lol:

It’s hard to predict who will be a future champion, it’s more about being at the right team at the right time - see Ricciardo or Verstappen!

It’s interesting how the teams have gone about the regs this year, Red Bull as always seem to be the fastest on high downforce and pretty bad at every other track. Ferrari seemingly only optimised the car for low downforce which only consists of 3 tracks on the calendar (lets be honest they just want to win Monza to get the Italian press to give them a break) and Mercedes has gone from having the most power to the best chassis on most circuits. I can only guess that before the hybrid era teams could change their wheelbase on a race by race basis but due to cost cutting measures we will never see a car dominate on all 3 circuit styles.

Also anyone noticed how we haven’t seen new lap records on the high speed circuits? The cars seem about 30kph down on last year.
Surprising that this years regs which promote following closer cause so much more drag - should surely be the opposite?

All the engines are becoming pretty similar now as they were towards the ends of the V8 era, so we’re due for the 2021 rule change to give us a new team to win 5 titles back to back.