Arthritis

Zonda_

Arthritis

Post by Zonda_ »

Christ it's painful, my thumb joint has been getting steadily worse over the past couple of years, steroid injections mask it but when they wear off it's always worse. Doesn't help it's my mouse driving thumb either!
Carlos

Re: Arthritis

Post by Carlos »

My 70yr old dad who worked in heavy industry all his life reckons our generation are wearing out the NHS with moans like that.

Fanny's. If it isn't green, black or dropping off get on with it lol
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Crikey you seem a bit young for arthritis, doesn’t that happen to really really really old people?
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Carlos wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:49 pm My 70yr old dad who worked in heavy industry all his life reckons our generation are wearing out the NHS with moans like that.

Fanny's. If it isn't green, black or dropping off get on with it lol
Ah well my 78 year old dad has had one thumb joint replaced and another one due next month!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:02 pm Crikey you seem a bit young for arthritis, doesn’t that happen to really really really old people?
It would appear to be hereditary just accelerated by modern practices, mice, texting etc.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m in the toughen up buttercup camp :P

Lots of pro-active work helps. I used to get very painful hands, elbows and knees. If I had long days of heavy work, especially grip work I’d wake up with claws for hands and had to prise my fingers open and start to get them moving.

Now I’m pretty good, I take cod liver oil every day or joint care, I have regular warm baths, if my hand is starting to ache I try and limit heavy work with it if possible. One of my colleagues was injecting painkillers each day on one job :shock: . Now he doesn’t need to. It’s also a massive benefit to stay hydrated, it helps with muscle and tendon flexibility.

Listen to your body and give it time to rest. I go to the gym and lift heavy when I’m home, it helps a lot to stretch.

Plus to any budding mechanics, never hit spanner’s or anything with your palm, you get scar tissue eventually and it destroys your hands.

Anyway, a bit of pain is good for the soul.

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I don't think any of that applies to arthritis. You seem to have just posted again about how tough you are and your routine at the gym :lol:
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

:lol:

Toughen up buttercup by taking cod liver oil every day, having regular warm baths and limiting heavy work. Then you’ll be a sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Is Dave’s paw maintenance programme directly applicable to human hands? :?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It has helped my friend Glenn out with his massively. Yep still his advice which helped the pain out with me. I’m not saying it’s a cure for chalky arthritic bones by any stretch but there are lots of ways to help.

This doesn’t apply to Gav as he isn’t fat but my MIL who had 2 knee operations and was always complaining lost a load of weight and because she spends hours painting in her retirement now doesn’t complain of any flare ups at all.

At a guess I’d say nearly everyone over 50 in my job has joint problems of some sort.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Ok, it made no difference :roll:

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Next you’ll be suggesting that my chiropractor mate has actually helped people. :roll:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Dave clearly has never had gout.

Hopefully he does tho and realises crystals in joints aren't that nice
mik

Post by mik »

Gout is quite amazingly painful :shock:
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:16 pm Doesn't help it's my mouse driving thumb either!
Learn to drive with the other hand?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

unzippy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:14 am
Zonda_ wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:16 pm Doesn't help it's my mouse driving thumb either!
The hand that I put an angle grinder through? Yeah, that's not gonna happen.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:12 am
unzippy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:14 am
The hand that I put an angle grinder through? Yeah, that's not gonna happen.
Call it free rehab👍
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:16 pm Christ it's painful, my thumb joint has been getting steadily worse over the past couple of years, steroid injections mask it but when they wear off it's always worse. Doesn't help it's my mouse driving thumb either!
Have you looked into orthotics? Can be useful, especially if the joint has worn due to it subluxing or something inborn. Not for everyone, though, especially as I have yet to see one that looks... ah... subtle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27496985 before people ask for evidence
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:41 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:16 pm Christ it's painful, my thumb joint has been getting steadily worse over the past couple of years, steroid injections mask it but when they wear off it's always worse. Doesn't help it's my mouse driving thumb either!
Have you looked into orthotics? Can be useful, especially if the joint has worn due to it subluxing or something inborn. Not for everyone, though, especially as I have yet to see one that looks... ah... subtle.

I have one that does help a bit but renders the thumb nearly useless. My dad’s consultant who has rebuilt one of his thumb joints and is going to do the other soon has told him to tell me to “get myself referred to him” I’m not entirely sure how I go about that.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:52 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:41 pm

I have one that does help a bit but renders the thumb nearly useless. My dad’s consultant who has rebuilt one of his thumb joints and is going to do the other soon has told him to tell me to “get myself referred to him” I’m not entirely sure how I go about that.
Go and see your doctor, give them the details of the consultant, tell them he's offered to help and your doctor should be able to refer you.
Middle-aged Dirtbag