Nordschleife Regular

revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Nordschleife Regular

Post by revsRus »

Hi all, just back from, I think, my 7th or 8th trip to the nurburgring and I thought I’d share my thoughts and experiences with anyone that might be thinking of going.

Since this was my 4th visit this year in the GT4, after the 3rd trip I’d decided to leave the car at the nurburgring to make the visit easier than driving all the way from Glasgow. I’ll do a summary of costs below.

In my opinion, there’s no better place to drive than on the nordschleife. The combination of the duration of the lap, the variety of corners, the varience of conditions and traffic and the learning and progress you can make in driving ability and laptime make the place utterly beguiling. I’d highly recommend it to anyone willing to challenge themselves who isn’t afraid to give themselves a bit of a fright.

Since my first visit in the gt4 in May this year I realised a sub 8 minute lap bridge to gantry was within reach for me and over the past 4 trips I chipped away at this time, managing a best of 8:00.6 on my last trip in July (8 minutes and six tenths of a second) which was both highly exhilarating and incredibly frustrating. Last weekend however I got a best time of 7:56.2 after battling away on Friday evening, all day Saturday and eventually Sunday morning at 8:30am. The satisfaction from finally achieving this was immense.

Summary of a weekend’s costs below:

Flights Edinburgh to Luxembourg: £75
Hire car 4 days: £80
Hotels: £300
Tyre wear: £300 approx
Brake wear: £300 approx
Petrol: £250 approx
Laps, 30 euro each: £500 approx
Car storage Ring Garage: £120 euro/month

So all in a weekend costs about £2200 plus food and drink.
Richard

Re: Nordschleife Regular

Post by Richard »

Excellent!
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Here’s onboard footage of me amd my friend in his gt3, not the sub 8 lap but close enough. I’d like to take this opportunity to dsitance myself from all americanisms used, especially “what’s up yutoob” to begin :roll:

https://youtu.be/q3xQwXN-KaE
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Awesome. 8-)

120 Euros per month for car storage is very reasonable too!
scotta

Post by scotta »

revsRus wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:01 pm Here’s onboard footage of me amd my friend in his gt3, not the sub 8 lap but close enough. I’d like to take this opportunity to dsitance myself from all americanisms used, especially “what’s up yutoob” to begin :roll:

https://youtu.be/q3xQwXN-KaE
:lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Awesome commitment to the Ring revsRus!!!

My memory isn’t what it once was but we’re you the guy who had the m3 issue there before??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:46 pm Awesome commitment to the Ring revsRus!!!

My memory isn’t what it once was but we’re you the guy who had the m3 issue there before??
Yeah my little brother blew the engine up on my m3 there about 4/5 years ago, he over revved on a 4th-3rd downshift. Hasn’t stopped me returning....
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

And yet you still do this... 8-)

You Sir, are winning at Life!!
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Cool to break the 8min mark (with traffic to contest with). 😎
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

mik wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:26 pm Cool to break the 8min mark (with traffic to contest with). 😎
This. Isn’t the fastest Porsche have done only 7:40?
Cheers,

Ian
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Another factor worth mentioning re leaving the car at the nurburgring is the limited mileage accrued. A trip to to and around the nurburgring as I was partaking previously would subject this “collector :| “ car to 2k miles deavluation. Now on a nurburgring weekend I’ll typically add just 250 miles to the clock. There’s great satisfaction to be had from knowing I’m getting the absolute best experience this car has to offer whilst ripping the absolute piss out of the bullshit ‘high mileage’ value perception
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

IanF wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:28 pm
mik wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:26 pm Cool to break the 8min mark (with traffic to contest with). 😎
This. Isn’t the fastest Porsche have done only 7:40?
Ah, that’s a full lap to equivalent to about 7:20 i think. Let’s not get too overexcited
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

And thus the whole mileage vs value things becomes the stupid. Those 1700 road miles probably only create a tiny fraction of the stresses and wear of those 250 track miles, yet done several times a year would have a massive knock on effect on the resale value.
Cheers, Harry