The Music Thread

ZedLeg

Re: The Music Thread

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve never listened to any tool. I might check that out though, people seem to be very excited about it.

Some stuff I’ve been listening to recently.

Venom Prison

Ithaca

Lizzo

New Tyler the Creator

An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:56 pm This is probably my favourite track - I nearly stopped dead at first listen, but I was doing 70 on a d/c at the time

Can I say that's a bit like Aenima but not as good?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

RobYob wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:33 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:56 pm This is probably my favourite track - I nearly stopped dead at first listen, but I was doing 70 on a d/c at the time

No, you can't. Go away and listen to it again until you realise how wrong you are.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:42 pm I’ve never listened to any tool. I might check that out though, people seem to be very excited about it
If you like music, and by that I mean proper crafted compositions rather than just tracks, you really owe it to yourself. You have to let it wash over you, the sort you could listen to for years and still find something new every time.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:11 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:42 pm I’ve never listened to any tool. I might check that out though, people seem to be very excited about it
If you like music, and by that I mean proper crafted compositions rather than just tracks, you really owe it to yourself. You have to let it wash over you, the sort you could listen to for years and still find something new every time.
I was late to the party but 10,000 Days is a regular on my playlists. Proper music.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:03 pm
RobYob wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:33 pm

No, you can't. Go away and listen to it again until you realise how wrong you are.

Overly long, self indulgent wankfest. I found it a little irritating 😂

I know everything isn't for everyone. Now where's my Taylor Swift collection 🤣🤣
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's definitely not for those with a short attention span ;)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:58 pm It's definitely not for those with a short attention span ;)
😂 That'll be me then.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

My music taste probably isn't cool enough for you guys, but I'm loving Snow Patrol's new Reworked EPs, mostly new versions of old songs but with a few new ones too.

SOAK is my favourite artist that I've discovered this year

Probably been listening to Springsteen more than anything else this year

Springsteen on Broadway is epic, I've watched it twice, powerful storytelling and raw songs.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve been listening to Springsteen on Broadway a lot.

It’s more like an audiobook than an album.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:01 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:58 pm It's definitely not for those with a short attention span ;)
😂 That'll be me then.
To be fair, their tracks have got longer with each successive album. If you're even remotely inclined to rock/metal you'd probably find the likes of 46&2 and The Pot a little easier going at c6 min ea :P This is the first album where every meaningful track has been over 10mins.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:56 am
McSwede wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:01 pm
😂 That'll be me then.
To be fair, their tracks have got longer with each successive album. If you're even remotely inclined to rock/metal you'd probably find the likes of 46&2 and The Pot a little easier going at c6 min ea :P This is the first album where every meaningful track has been over 10mins.
I shall give it a whirl. 👍
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ages since anyone posted here.

The new Deftones is a bit good.

Also new Svalbard.

An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Deftones' Ohms is a stunning return to form imo. I found Gore far too much of a Chino self-indulgence and it bores the keks off me. Can definitely tell Steph was given the reins for Ohms. 8-)

Looking forward to the release of Black Stallion later this year - DJ Shadow reworking of White Pony. All this talk surrounding the 20yr White Pony anniversary completely overlooks the 10yr anniversary of Diamond Eyes as well though - they're my 2 favourite Deftones albums and each equally important and seminal imo.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

White Pony and Deftones for me. This album is a definite return to that sound, maybe not so aggressive but it's got that meaty rhythm section. I didn't mind the more experimental stuff but this is definitely more up my street.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:47 am Ages since anyone posted here.

The new Deftones is a bit good.
I am liking that a lot. I had often heard the name but never dived into the music.

Aussie Band Karnivool are similar in style at times and I'm a big fan of them.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They’re a great band. I’d thoroughly recommend diving into their back catalogue
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:46 am They’re a great band. I’d thoroughly recommend diving into their back catalogue
Yep, this.

Also, love a bit of Karnivool - more Tool inspired I'd say than Deftones. The latter are very heavily '80s infleunced, and known for their covers of Cure, Japan and others.

Another great Aussie outfit, Cog, have had a few new tracks released over the last 12-18mo.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:48 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:46 am They’re a great band. I’d thoroughly recommend diving into their back catalogue
Yep, this.

Also, love a bit of Karnivool - more Tool inspired I'd say than Deftones. The latter are very heavily '80s infleunced, and known for their covers of Cure, Japan and others.

Another great Aussie outfit, Cog, have had a few new tracks released over the last 12-18mo.
Plenty of influence from both.
The Refusal could easily be on that new Deftones album back to back with "Error"

And Change PT2 is waaaaaay off somewhere else :lol:

Cog I haven't really listened to since Sharing Space and of those tracks I only have time for Bird of Feather, I didn't know they had anything new.

On the theme of the slightly incestuous Aussie metal/prog/rock scene. Both Karnivool and Cog member crossover into Floating Me, which is a resurection of a band from the 90s called Scarymother. Great stuff if you like your metal spaced out.

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Yeah I love Floating Me's release. Shame it looks like that might be it for them.

Deadman is possibly my favourite Karnivool track of all - incredible in the journey it weaves, and that's where I think they're more akin to Tool tbh. They clearly are influenced by Deftones as well, but then those two always surface in the same breath! I wasn't sure about Asymmetry, felt a bit over-indulgent for me and directionless but Sound Awake is brilliant.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.