No F1 thread?

jamcg

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by jamcg »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:37 pm
jamcg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:41 pm Gotta love the engine penalty rules, because Gasly has used his allowance that stays with the car and Albon will start his first race with red bull from the back of the grid
As Coulthard says, it’s fucking stupid, they need a rethink. Why should the driver be punished and fans disappointed in this case? There needs to be another way of penalising the team I.e. docking constructors points.
I’m not sure that would be a fair way to do it either, how would you differentiate between engine manufacturer works teams and customer teams, as they just buy their engines in. It’s a tough one really, the current scheme is complete bullshit though
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Albon looked good in FP1. Early days but within a tenth of Max (albeit with the new Honda spec 4 motor)
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

jamcg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 pm
jamcg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:41 pm Gotta love the engine penalty rules, because Gasly has used his allowance that stays with the car and Albon will start his first race with red bull from the back of the grid
As Coulthard says, it’s fucking stupid, they need a rethink. Why should the driver be punished and fans disappointed in this case? There needs to be another way of penalising the team I.e. docking constructors points.
I’m not sure that would be a fair way to do it either, how would you differentiate between engine manufacturer works teams and customer teams, as they just buy their engines in. It’s a tough one really, the current scheme is complete bullshit though
You don't need to, just dock points from the team whose engine is replaced. If customer teams keep getting caught out by it they can change to a more reliable engine supplier.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Pete_ wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:09 pm
jamcg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 pm

You don't need to, just dock points from the team whose engine is replaced. If customer teams keep getting caught out by it they can change to a more reliable engine supplier.
No you eventually end up with Renault as they’re the only manufacturer willing to give engines out to other teams. And if you already have a shonky Renault engine tough luck.
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Bit of a Ferarri resurgence. I still think Vettel will retire at the end of the year, he won't like being upstaged.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

F2 just had a nightmare Billy Monger style crash.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

What did Leclerc have for breakfast? 3/4 of a second faster than everyone else.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:18 pm What did Leclerc have for breakfast? 3/4 of a second faster than everyone else.
Laxatives?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Antoine Hubert killed during f2 race- from footage looks like he’s had a solo incident, hit wall and come back into racing line at top of eu rouge and got t-boned by correa, died later of his injuries. RIP.

FIA statement:

The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) regrets to advise that a serious incident involving cars #12, #19 and #20 occurred at 17:07 on 31/08/19 as a part of the FIA Formula 2 Sprint Race at Spa-Francorchamps, round 17 of the season.

The scene was immediately attended by emergency and medical crews, and all drivers were taken to the medical centre.

As a result of the incident, the FIA regrets to inform that the driver of car #19, Anthoine Hubert (FRA), succumbed to his injuries, and passed away at 18:35.

The driver of car #12, Juan-Manuel Correa (USA), is in a stable condition and is being treated at the CHU Liège hospital. More information on his condition will be provided when it becomes available.

The driver of car #20 Giuliano Alesi (FRA) was checked and declared fit at the medical centre.

The FIA is providing support to the event organisers and the relevant authorities, and has commenced an investigation into the incident.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Having been through it myself I have to sympathise with everyone involved, such a horrible day.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Fucking terrible, been watching F2 for the past 2 years and I enjoyed his character.

FIA need to fix the tracks, if the runoff was gravel the other car wouldn’t have been going flat out 20 feet off the track limits... We have drivers in all categories going off track and driving at racing speed trying to minimise damage because it’s all tarmac.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Have seen reports on correa’s conition this morning- fractured both legs and a minor spinal injury- he’s in intensive care after surgery in a stable condition
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:04 pm Fucking terrible, been watching F2 for the past 2 years and I enjoyed his character.

FIA need to fix the tracks, if the runoff was gravel the other car wouldn’t have been going flat out 20 feet off the track limits... We have drivers in all categories going off track and driving at racing speed trying to minimise damage because it’s all tarmac.
I think the problem is the car being able to bounce back into the track in a particularly fast and unsighted section. They’ll be looking at all circuits after this and seeing what can done. I think at Spa the first thing they’ll look to do is move the barrier right back and add to the tyre wall (it’s only a single or double layer deep)
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I don't want to look at the footage and I am assuming it was all over very very fast but I did wonder of from now, if any G sensor is tripped on any car, a virtual safety car could be thrown immediately probably automatically. It could always be cancelled a few corners later of all is fine.

Even if it would not have saved anyone this time, like the halo and Bianchi, it may save someone in the future.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Gavin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:41 pm I don't want to look at the footage and I am assuming it was all over very very fast but I did wonder of from now, if any G sensor is tripped on any car, a virtual safety car could be thrown immediately probably automatically. It could always be cancelled a few corners later of all is fine.

Even if it would not have saved anyone this time, like the halo and Bianchi, it may save someone in the future.
It was a spin and hit within a couple of seconds, Hubert’s impact with the barriers wouldn't have been enough to trigger a g sensor, and apparently carrea was travelling at 170mph so not sure any action could have stopped it happening. It’s been a terribly unfortunate series of events
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gavin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:41 pm I don't want to look at the footage and I am assuming it was all over very very fast but I did wonder of from now, if any G sensor is tripped on any car, a virtual safety car could be thrown immediately probably automatically. It could always be cancelled a few corners later of all is fine.

It might work in certain situations but not ones likes this where it happened in seconds.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Orange Cola wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:19 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:04 pm
I think the problem is the car being able to bounce back into the track in a particularly fast and unsighted section. They’ll be looking at all circuits after this and seeing what can done. I think at Spa the first thing they’ll look to do is move the barrier right back and add to the tyre wall (it’s only a single or double layer deep)
I’ve watched the Indy 500 the last 2 years just because it’s been shown on Sky - the ‘Safer’ barriers do an incredible job and the car usually sticks to them. Just checked on wiki and it’s used on a few of the high speed F1 tracks where it’s narrow with not much run off but not at Spa!

Edit - I’ve fucked the quoting - sorry.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:04 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:19 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:04 pm
I’ve watched the Indy 500 the last 2 years just because it’s been shown on Sky - the ‘Safer’ barriers do an incredible job and the car usually sticks to them. Just checked on wiki and it’s used on a few of the high speed F1 tracks where it’s narrow with not much run off but not at Spa!

Edit - I’ve fucked the quoting - sorry.
Looking at that section of the track properly it seems to be left as is because it’s a ‘historic’ circuit much like Monaco. And that does hack me off, the new dedicated circuits have to comply with all the safety regs at great expense to be even considered for an F1 race yet if it’s a brand new city course then they’ll happily waive the various safety elements needed to make sure the race happens :?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep I had a look on Apple maps and was surprised to see that they have acres and acres of space there to push back the wall - it’s just a wooded area. What’s even more surprising is that they cut a 20 yard width of trees along the side of the track the accident happened but then replanted them as seen by the lighter green of the younger trees.

Anyway - odds on Ferrari ruining their own race today?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was just getting ready to type my usual Leclerk Denied post but he just pulled through there.