Your fleet running reports

drcarlos

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by drcarlos »

Navara has survived another trip to the Vendee, although it may need a new alternator clutch before I sell it.

Weekend will see the old headunit re-installed and the upgraded speakers removed (I'll keep them for the next truck to keep the spend down) plus a few bits of tidying up ready to move it on.

I think the money spent on it has prevented it ever letting us down, so would appear to be money well spent even if it was more than any other vehicle has ever cost me. I won't be sad to see it go as it seemed to be a never ending cycle of big bills.

I think I'll be going back to Mitsubishi for an L200 because as much as I like Hi-lux's they are like hens teeth used (in the spec I want) and very expensive. If I keep on top of the L200 maintenance wise it should hopefully be a better ownership proposition.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Why not just lease a L200 for £200 odd per month ?

You haven't had much luck with used ones and they do have a hard life.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

New driveshafts received, these ones don't fit either :roll:

Another set ordered. Third time lucky ??
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Carlos wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:15 pm Why not just lease a L200 for £200 odd per month ?

You haven't had much luck with used ones and they do have a hard life.
Don't want to go down that route at the moment, I'm going to look for low mileage privately owned ones this time. The Nav was a high miles but seemingly well maintained (bar the obvious deception that had gone on) ex company vehicle when I bought it, privately owned and maintained with low miles maybe more expensive but I'll pay the premium this time I think.

We may want to go down the lease route for my wifes business though for something 100% EV though as it will get used a lot more heavily.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

New rear shocks on the Passat - MOT looming and the n/s was leaking. Driving it loaded up on holiday recently it felt a bit wallowy; that must have just finished it off. Six years / 60k miles seems a bit poor for OEM shocks. The car’s not had a hard life.

New fuel filters on the Touareg while I wait for the new driveshafts. It’s an incredibly engineered engine and as part of that the filters sit in a nice easily-accessible housing on top of the engine along with the oil filter. No crawling around underneath getting diesel in your face !
Attachments
8723EA55-D4BE-4586-9973-1A4594D6C875.jpeg
8723EA55-D4BE-4586-9973-1A4594D6C875.jpeg (146.91 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Driveshafts received and fitted. Apart from one of the halfshafts popping out and being very reluctant to go back in it all went together very easily. Everything seems to be working. Yay.

Oil change done too, 12 litres of special oil because the internet says it’s ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to use the right oil. It had had an oil change before I bought it last year, but I don’t know what was used, and seeing as it was significantly over-filled I’ve assumed they didn’t know what they were doing and how UTTERLY CRUCIAL it is to get it right. I’m hoping - although I realise it’s futile - that it had the wrong oil and that’s the reason for the leak. Years ago I had a Calibra and one time decided to treat it to some nice 0w fully synthetic. It pi$$ed out all over the place. Changed back to ordinary stuff and it was fine again.

Went for a test drive. Nothing exploded. I had a tense few minutes though, with a police car behind me for a couple of miles - no MOT and a dodgy numberplate should have seen me locked up for good but I guess I got lucky :D

I’m towing one of the club trailers out to Shere tomorrow to help set up for Shere Hillclimb on Sunday. The hillclimb is a nice day out, if anyone’s bored this Sunday then pop along ! It’s a truly eclectic mix of cars (and bikes).

www.sherehillclimb.co.uk/run-order
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Shame it is Sunday not Saturday, otherwise I’d take my little boy to it!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Galaxy blew yet another dipped beam bulb on the way home today. Digging out a spare I thought I would just change it quickly when I got back. In the dark. Not the best idea I've ever had as I obviously dropped one of the screws into the engine bay and heard it land on the shield, out of sight. Sigh.

After much grasping about blindly as far down as I could get my arm into the engine bay I found it! Rest was a doddle as always.

From memory that will be the sixth bulb in just over two years/30k miles. Seems a lot. As I had a spare I've ordered two pairs of Osram Night Breakers so I can finally see what all the fuss is about.

In other news it has been recalled due to the engine cooling issue with the 1.6 Ecoboost. Googling about a bit there are quite a few stories with cars going up in flames, so probably best it is done. Apparently they'll fit a sensor and some software to ensure that if the coolant level is low there will be a visual and audible alarm. It is apparently a two day job, so they've kindly offered us to pay £20/day to borrow a Ka/Fiesta/small box.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 pm ...dropped one of the screws into the engine bay and heard it land on the shield, out of sight. Sigh.

After much grasping about blindly as far down as I could get my arm into the engine bay I found it!
Get one of those telescopic magnet-on-a-stick things. They are so, so useful.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:25 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 pm ...dropped one of the screws into the engine bay and heard it land on the shield, out of sight. Sigh.

After much grasping about blindly as far down as I could get my arm into the engine bay I found it!
Get one of those telescopic magnet-on-a-stick things. They are so, so useful.
Yup. But that didn't help two hours ago :D
---
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

But if you buy one now, it’ll be very helpful next time !

SJ Top Top - Buy tools you don’t need right now, so that you have them ready when you do need them. I know it sounds perverse but it often pays dividends.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I gorilla glued a whiteboard magnet to an old telescoping RC antenna a few years ago after dropping a screw - it’s been an invaluable tool ever since.
How about not having a sig at all?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:44 pm But if you buy one now, it’ll be very helpful next time !

SJ Top Top - Buy tools you don’t need right now, so that you have them ready when you do need them. I know it sounds perverse but it often pays dividends.
Amen brother 👍🏼
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:44 pm But if you buy one now, it’ll be very helpful next time !

Not perverse at all. Sound planning (within reason, I'm not putting a deposit on a tunnel boring machine just yet)!
---
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Get it ordered Alex :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:53 pm Get it ordered Alex :lol:
The magnet majiggy or the TBM?
---
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

TBM, obvs.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I have a boroscope with a detachable magnet end (also a hook etc) that is really good in situations like this. The wire is rigid enough to be folded into shape and stay, and of course the end lights up so you can see where it's going too. £30 or so. Bargain.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:07 pmTBM, obvs.
Hmmmm...
https://www.mascus.co.uk/construction/u ... onlpc.html
---
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Simon wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:22 pm I have a boroscope with a detachable magnet end (also a hook etc) that is really good in situations like this. The wire is rigid enough to be folded into shape and stay, and of course the end lights up so you can see where it's going too. £30 or so. Bargain.
Funnily enough I ordered one of these this week:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133109074989

It’ll be useful at some point :)