The Watches Thread

mik

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by mik »

Pete_ wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:20 pm
mik wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:21 pm I nearly lost my much-loved Chris Ward C11 when a screw fell out whilst visiting the Postojna caves. 😳

Whilst that isn’t a euphemism, I do like now to ensure I have several good tight screws every few weeks.
What screw?
This one. Does that help? :?

Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

You should get a NATO ;)
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Those screws are mangled like hell.
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

When Pete makes a demand you don’t waste time doing a screw detail Alex. (If you know what’s good for you).
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Pete_ wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 pm You should get a NATO ;)
Pete is correct.
No screws to mangle and fall out, no pin/collar to make you hammer your watch into dust.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:56 pm
Pete_ wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:13 pm You should get a NATO ;)
Pete is correct.
No screws to mangle and fall out, no pin/collar to make you hammer your watch into dust.
But YLLATAUC. :?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

MIC 😂
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I do, but can we talk about the watch strap please?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Any recommendations for good metal straps/bracelets? Hirsch leather strap is proving to be poor quality, falling apart after less than two years.

Something fairly chunky to fit a 52mm watch with 26mm lug size. Don't want a shiny one, has to be matte.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

Good selection here but you'll obv need to pay for international postage: https://shop.hodinkee.com/collections/straps
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

GG. wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:40 pm Good selection here but you'll obv need to pay for international postage: https://shop.hodinkee.com/collections/straps
They don't do metal straps though.
---
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sorry - skim read your post - thought you wanted a replacement for the hirsch. What is the watch? There are some aged canvas straps which look cool and should. E more durable than leather. Or NATOs obviously...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Invicta 4903. I want a metal band this time.
---
mik

Post by mik »

He wants a metal bracelet and you are recommending anything but a metal bracelet? :?
mik

Post by mik »

I think I just used Amazon for my SuperEngII
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I victor watches come with a metal bracelet don’t they?
I suspect buying a whole new watch+bracelet would actually cost less than just a bracelet.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:35 pm I victor watches come with a metal bracelet don’t they?
I suspect buying a whole new watch+bracelet would actually cost less than just a bracelet.
Depends on the model. The 4903 is one of the dearer models and is far better quality than some of the cheaper ones. But yes, you can get a new one for the price of a decent band.
---
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Just looking for a strap replacement for my seiko sportura (yeah I know it only a cheap watch), uk £98 (I only paid about £125 for the watch in the jl clearance), eBay from the us £26, both oem seiko straps, mental.
Not really the sort of watch I’d get a generic replacement for as it’s rose gold finish on both casing and buckle which I like.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Not sure I posted on here at the time, however, I managed to crack the crystal on my Tag Carrera a few months ago by dropping it onto the tiled bathroom floor :? I didn't rush to repair it as frankly, its accuracy has always been poor and I fancied something new anyway...

I spent a while (well, several months!) looking at various options and concluded that the stuff I'd really like I'm not willing to splash out on right at this point in time for various reasons so I parked the purchase of something uber tasty until later (likely next year or perhaps even the year after if I go completely beserk). Focus then moved on to something more reasonable for the time being and I decided on a Longines Avigation Big Eye. Stock pic below.

It's been on pretty heavy discount (25%) at Ernest Jones recently and they are generous enough to also let you use the first time customer 10% offer on top which sealed the deal - £1395 for a watch that's retailing for over £2,000 everywhere else. Its an ETA movement rather than in house (completely to be expected at the price) but modified for Longines to replace the cam operated system for the chronograph with a column wheel, which I believe is exclusive to them.

Supposedly arrives into store on Saturday so will post some pics when I get it. Will be junking the standard strap immediately as its not fantastic and they seem to look great on a variety of non-standard options. I'm tempted to put it on a Nato just to annoy a few of you on here :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

That’s a nice looking watch. What diameter is it?
Middle-aged Dirtbag