Toyota Land Cruiser

JLv3.0

Toyota Land Cruiser

Post by JLv3.0 »

Holding post, and no, not mine, but there are rumours circulating that Toyota won't be making a new LC when they finally put the current one out to pasture. Apparently it's an archaic formula nowadays.

There's just no way that can be true, can it? Ignore the soccer mums and all that - Africa, the Middle East and Australasia need these bad boys to get around!! Nissan must be rubbing their hands with glee.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser

Post by Rich B »

I saw a full size one in Ascot the other day - a proper rarity over here.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

They are, definitely. They're over-engineered, outdated, heavy, thirsty and expensive. But that's why they're so awesome! I just can't imagine a world without Land Cruisers in it. I guess my younger years and now older years being surrounded by them or inside of one has made me emotional but trust me - when you're in the absolute arse-end of nowhere, it's a great feeling knowing it just won't go wrong.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

How many body-on-frame cars are there now, that aren't just bodied versions of pickup trucks? Are they really necessary any more?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Not in the UK, no. But in undeveloped or developing countries I'd wager they're essential.
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

That'll be sad. They (and the hilux) even had a war named after themselves.
At the rate the rav4 has been growing with each new generation it'll be bigger than the megacruiser soon, maybe the needed to free up some space.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'm an unashamed fanboy but there can't be many cars made that are designed to not need any major mechanical work for the first 25 years of service. And you've heard me wibble on about the 1FZ-FE engine's one-million-km design life too many times. They're exceptional machines.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Meh! Chinese have tarmac’d all the roads now anyway.
Cheers,

Ian
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Eh?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I thought it had died years ago!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

They do a SWB commercial Land Cruiser now which I think is available in the UK ?

The V8 diesel 70 series which is popular in Australia is a lovely model but I don’t think it’s available elsewhere, they missed a trick there.

The late 90s model which J.L. has is pretty awesome, the 4.5 petrol is excellent and just enjoys abuse. I completely get the appeal. I prefer the Patrol just for looks, I’d be happier being driven around in remote places in either.

I don’t see many anymore though, it’s all wanky Amaroks, that hateful Mercedes pick-up and Mitsubishi’s now. Even the Red Cross seem to be mainly in Pathfinders and some big Mitsubishi’s now.

The only ones I see locally are some chintzy ones or Lexus badged ones with gold tat all over. I don’t think I’ve seen a Vanilla one in a long time.

African warlords are all in X5s and GLs

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

IanF wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:55 am Meh! Chinese have tarmac’d all the roads now anyway.
It’s ok, the roads don’t last long :lol:

Dave!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Wifes cousin in Australia has a full fat brand new V8 Diesel one. Fully off roaded with chunky mud & sand/snow tyres and the bull bar on the front replacing the bumper $140k worth. Epic machine though. He offered me a go but i didnt fancy bending it on third party insurance.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:36 pm They do a SWB commercial Land Cruiser now which I think is available in the UK ?

The V8 diesel 70 series which is popular in Australia is a lovely model but I don’t think it’s available elsewhere, they missed a trick there.

The late 90s model which J.L. has is pretty awesome, the 4.5 petrol is excellent and just enjoys abuse. I completely get the appeal. I prefer the Patrol just for looks, I’d be happier being driven around in remote places in either.

I don’t see many anymore though, it’s all wanky Amaroks, that hateful Mercedes pick-up and Mitsubishi’s now. Even the Red Cross seem to be mainly in Pathfinders and some big Mitsubishi’s now.

The only ones I see locally are some chintzy ones or Lexus badged ones with gold tat all over. I don’t think I’ve seen a Vanilla one in a long time.

African warlords are all in X5s and GLs

Dave!
Drove behind a JL's-vintage maroon diesel one in Cumbria. Does look the business. No nonsense, just go.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I know JL hates Land Rover but I think they’re targeting a few customer groups mentioned in this thread already...

Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

There’s a maroon J100 version near my parents’. It’s a single lane road and it takes up about 1.5 lanes! 😂 Not sure why someone would buy one in the UK tbh.
Cheers,

Ian
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I only hate Land Rover and Land Rovers because they're badly made. It's just unacceptable for a vehicle that's supposed to go anywhere and do anything. I like the concept of them, just not the reality.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Which is fair enough and apart from lack of advertising it’s the next biggest thing which holds them back.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:36 pm They do a SWB commercial Land Cruiser now which I think is available in the UK ?
A Prado basically. Not a real LC.