Porsche Taycan first drive - Fully Charged

simon_g

Re: Porsche Taycan first drive - Fully Charged

Post by simon_g »

More impressive for the EV nerds tbh. For context, the typical 50kw DC rapid chargers you see today at the motorway services can do about 100 miles of charge in 30 minutes, so to get over 2000 miles worth you'd be spending over 10 hours stopped charging.

Some cars also hit cooling issues with motorway speeds and repeated rapid charging - high discharge and rapid charging both create heat, which has to be managed properly, and if the car can't dissipate the heat then it has to limit charging rates. It can be worse if the weather is really hot. By the sounds of it Porsche has put a lot of work into ensuring that won't ever happen on the Taycan, despite the performance and extra quick charging rates.
Last edited by simon_g on Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Just to be clear I'm not looking to criticise the Taycan and its performance relative to an ICE, simply it would help in the article if there were more context to the test. They could even have included any similar attempts in other hybrid/fully electric vehicles, or simply just a breakdown of the length/mileage of the runs, and the time spent charging.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:50 am Just to be clear I'm not looking to criticise the Taycan and its performance relative to an ICE, simply it would help in the article if there were more context to the test. They could even have included any similar attempts in other hybrid/fully electric vehicles, or simply just a breakdown of the length/mileage of the runs, and the time spent charging.
Yeah, that is a bit annoying. that said, has anyone else publicised their BEV stats at Nardo over 24 hours? It's interesting, but not terribly valuable, in isolation.
Simon

Post by Simon »

A few weeks ago I thought of a new name for a Porsche BEV that would be the first of it's kind from the manufacturer, but it was Taycan.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:34 pm I sort of agree with Mito, the industry does need a shake up. Customer service is awful, customers just want something that’s easy to buy and should it go wrong a pleasant experience where the car is given back fixed, once. The whole sucking air through the teeth and giving it the TADTS attitude is just BS now.
This. And the interesting thing here for me is the context in which we're discussing it i.e. the Taycan.

My experience probably isn't typical, but my car (hybrid Panamera, and yes I know the Taycan is full EV but it's made, sold and maintained by the same people, full stop) has been a lovely car to drive but frith on a stick, it's been unreliable, and the dealers are bullshitters of the first order. They're disingenuous in the extreme, even more so than BMW dealers (as they're the other group being discussed here) and come out with all sorts of crap in order to try and shut you up.

Porsche still have endless problems with battery tech in their cars. And tech in general. Numerous models are getting recalled for PCM and/or air-con or other issues (hybrids having their max oil quantity reduced by 1/4 litre for example because they dump petrol into the sump!), ex-copper now Porsche delivery drivers tell me they don't buy them and prefer to run BMWs and as a customer I'd really rather they concentrate on making the stuff they already produce more reliable before launching something else. Bottom line is that Porsche trades on the badge, and the drive. Which is very good. But the ownership experience is utter shite and the sooner people wake up and realise that Porsche is not the pinnacle it markets itself as, the better.

I predict endless recalls for the Taycan, all covered up by the dealers throwing endless Silverstone visits and small, regular, compo payments at the owners. And all helped by the journos, who don't generally spend that much time with them and not in enough quantity so that long term tests are of any real value, gushing about how wonderful they are around some picturesque roads in Spain or wherever. Live with one for two years. Get stranded all the fucking time, be told by Porsche GB that it's just the way it is, that I shouldn't complain because it's "...all under warranty and we always provide loan cars...", be told by HPI that the market has reacted to the latest recall work by knocking another two grand off the trade-in and you may see things differently.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Sounds pretty typical to me, my dad knows many people with 911s and has said he’ll never buy a Porsche because of all the problems they have. Then he got pissed off by BMW dealers and started buying American.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:44 pm
My experience probably isn't typical, but my car (hybrid Panamera, and yes I know the Taycan is full EV but it's made, sold and maintained by the same people, full stop) has been a lovely car to drive but frith on a stick, it's been unreliable, and the dealers are bullshitters of the first order. They're disingenuous in the extreme, even more so than BMW dealers (as they're the other group being discussed here) and come out with all sorts of crap in order to try and shut you up.
Do you mind me asking which dealer you bought from and which is handling the aftersales ??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Frith on a stick?!!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:34 pm I sort of agree with Mito, the industry does need a shake up. Customer service is awful, customers just want something that’s easy to buy and should it go wrong a pleasant experience where the car is given back fixed, once. The whole sucking air through the teeth and giving it the TADTS attitude is just BS now.
This. And the interesting thing here for me is the context in which we're discussing it i.e. the Taycan.

My experience probably isn't typical, but my car ... it's been unreliable, and the dealers are bullshitters of the first order. They're disingenuous in the extreme.
Being in the manufacturing side it's alwasy baffled/enraged/amused the bizarre factory-dealer-customer relationship in the car industry.

Manufacturers are happy flogging bulk cars to dealers (not to customers) and apparently tolerate the sometimes horrific customer perception of "The Brand" in exchanged for not having to deal directly with customers and the awkward conversations about warranty and quality.

Dealers are a financial and social buffer between factory and customer. Of course like any middle man they're there to maximise their take by playing one or both sides. Bullshitting customers, bullshitting the factory and there seems to be little incentive not to do so as long as you can shift new stock out the door. Dealers often seem to have little interest in fixing problems than they do attributing blame to the factory (or customer) and maximising their "book value" repairs.

There is even further BS though, I've seen the "book value" ie. what the dealer is allowed to charge the factory, of a "premium manufacturer" of two hours labour for a turbo replacement. I imagine even a skilled dealer tech will be in a hurry to get that done in time and anyone less than careful will simply lob it in from several yards back and rattle-gun everything back together.

I'm sure there's a factory-dealer relationship somewhere that is more collaborative than combative, somewhere...
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:43 pm
Do you mind me asking which dealer you bought from and which is handling the aftersales ??
It came from Leeds. Where I would never, ever go back to. It's been serviced and repaired by Swindon since then. My comments about dealers are mostly directly at Leeds, who were utter shite, awful communication and more. Swindon, for the most part, have been ok, although they too have their moments.
Beany

Post by Beany »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:27 pm
dinny_g wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:43 pm
It came from Leeds. Where I would never, ever go back to.
Oh, come on, at least it's not Bradford.
Oh, you meant the dealer.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

:)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Bought from JCT600
Serviced by Dick Lovett
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

7:42 around the Nordschleife.

Full onboard:

simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Not bad really in context, given it's a 4-door, 4-seat car.

Simon

Post by Simon »

So it's a second and a half quicker than a Civic.

Gotchya.

;)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

And about a minute and a half quicker than a Model S 😂
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Meh.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Simon

Post by Simon »

Brannen wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:41 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAX74HkmvHU

I think that's impressive 🧐
'As it got Turbo?