Any golfers on here?

ShockDiamonds

Any golfers on here?

Post by ShockDiamonds »

So I appear to have taken this up. Again. I've had a few attempts at it down the years, but for whatever reason the idea appeals a little more strongly now. Bought some clubs a while back, full set, bag etc so been using those. Been using the local club's driving range, played a couple of 18 holers, not terribly successfully but have received a little tuition and now looking forward to a full round this coming Sunday.

Any tips or thoughts? I'm not fussed about establishing a handicap then trying to bring it down. I think it's more the challenge and resultant exercise which appeals over anything else.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: Any golfers on here?

Post by 240PP »

Get some proper lessons before you develop any bad habits.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Don't make any videos on it.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

😂
Cheers,

Ian
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If my dog sees your ball, he is going to have it!!

Dave!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

240PP wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:57 pm Get some proper lessons before you develop any bad habits.
Yes the lessons have definitely helped. I now feel 'locked' for want of a better description, when swinging (funnar funnar). I have a very strong core. Apparently.
mik

Post by mik »

Other than putting, I have never hit a golf ball (or therefore played a round of golf) in my life.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’d normally take this piss out of golf, but me and the family did a round of pitch and putt on a course in Cornwall last year that was bigger than your average p&p but smaller than a full course. It was brilliant and we made it most of the way round before the boys started to try and kill each other with the clubs, which normally happens after about 2 holes of crazy golf.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Played off and in my whole life. Play to a good 13 or 14 handicap these days. Wish I was a better putter

79 on a par 72 gross is my record.

To play the game once is to become addicted and will then condemn you to a life fruitlessly chasing perfection...

...someone once said. Very true
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I'm confused, I thought 18 holes was a full round?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Got some cheap clubs a couple of years back as I was on an early finish type job with a keen golfer and another novice like me, so over the summer we would go round after work.

Haven't touched them since. Maybe one day I'll get some lessons and take it up properly, but I don't know where I'm going to find the time from.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 pm I'm confused, I thought 18 holes was a full round?
It is. Are you referring to Dinny's post? The total shots required to get around that particular 18 hole course in par is 72, and he shot 79.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:51 pmplayed a couple of 18 holers, not terribly successfully but have received a little tuition and now looking forward to a full round this coming Sunday.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Ah I see. 18 holer, full round. Same thing.
Beany

Post by Beany »

If you want a good walk ruined, just stuff your wallet full of cash and let me know when you're going to go for a wander on an evening. I've got to get that shiny new exhaust for the car somehow.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I used to play every Sunday. Usually it was a hard slog . To be good you need to have no job. My clubs were in the boot of the CTR when it got stolen :(
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Broccers wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:22 pm I used to play every Sunday. Usually it was a hard slog . To be good you need to have no job. My clubs were in the boot of the CTR when it got stolen :(
Or make it your job, bloke a couple of doors down was semi pro and now teaches at local course. Must make good money as he has tasty cars
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:40 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:22 pm I used to play every Sunday. Usually it was a hard slog . To be good you need to have no job. My clubs were in the boot of the CTR when it got stolen :(
Or make it your job, bloke a couple of doors down was semi pro and now teaches at local course. Must make good money as he has tasty cars
I follow Poulter on the Gram which is great if you like his lovein with a certain car dealer :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:21 pm I’d normally take this piss out of golf, but me and the family did a round of pitch and putt on a course in Cornwall last year that was bigger than your average p&p but smaller than a full course. It was brilliant and we made it most of the way round before the boys started to try and kill each other with the clubs, which normally happens after about 2 holes of crazy golf.
Love a bit of Pitch and Putt

Easy enough that any idiot can play, but feels a bit more like real golf
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

So two weeks ago the driver was bad and the irons were good. Yesterday, the exact opposite. Hateful game.

Playing this Saturday though of course, although that's because my daughter came along yesterday, drove the buggy and loved it so will be driving me around this weekend too :)