Windows 3.11

Beany

Re: Windows 3.11

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:10 pm
Beany wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:56 pm Oh, my one was an 486 SX25, not A DX - must have missed that typo :oops:

Also had Tseng Labs ET600* SVGA graphics, which were pretty fucking terrible.

*May be 6000? I can never find info about it on the internet even these days
That's pretty much my first PC's specs. 4 MB ram, 200 MB hard drive, 3.5" floppy and later a used pro audio spectrum sound card and a single speed CD-ROM drive with a proprietary ISA "SCSI" controller.
Ah, I got a CDROM and a sound card in a bundle. I was deeply unimpressed by the 160x140 'multimedia experience' it offered in Windows 3.1

Good for Doom and Doom II though. From blip bloop bleep to BOOM *clucliclack*
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I remember the first test of a new processor upgrade back in the day was to see how quickly it would load Word....

I had one of those massive Elonex towers, was an absolute POS. Funnily enough, once I started to work in a computer shop building and repairing PCs, my home rig benefited from many and regular upgrades.

Its amazing how things have changed even since those days - I remember the ball ache of playing about with the load order of config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up enough base memory to get X Wing to load.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:37 am I remember the first test of a new processor upgrade back in the day was to see how quickly it would load Word....

I had one of those massive Elonex towers, was an absolute POS. Funnily enough, once I started to work in a computer shop building and repairing PCs, my home rig benefited from many and regular upgrades.

Its amazing how things have changed even since those days - I remember the ball ache of playing about with the load order of config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up enough base memory to get X Wing to load.
Yeah, I had an autoexec setup for games, and for loading Windows 3.11 for Workgroups.

Then I realised I only really played a few games and did very little in DOS, so I gave them individual autoexec entries with their own settings.

Ah, back in the day.

It was fucking shit, wasn't it?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yep, utter shite. Everything is immeasurably better now.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Ascender wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:37 am playing about with the load order of config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up enough base memory to get anything to load.
ah, god yes.
Left over crest; tightens.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ascender wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:37 am config.sys and autoexec.bat
<sigh>

Happy days eh? ;)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:53 am Yep, utter shite. Everything is immeasurably better now.
So much this. In a world where most things are getting worse due to the environment and cost cutting, electronics remain the exception.
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I remember the days of having to set the IRQ settings to make the sound work on games, I got one game that didn’t tell you them and I had to guess.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It was realising how bloody brilliant windows ten was and you could just chuck a drive in any computer and it was working within a few minutes which convinced me to get back into pc gaming.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:13 pm I remember the days of having to set the IRQ settings to make the sound work on games, I got one game that didn’t tell you them and I had to guess.
That's literally what got me into computers.

Mate was trying to get Duke Nukem 3D to work, but the sound was all garbled.

By the time his dad had broken out the yellow pages, we had the sound off, found the sound card IRQ jumper and had fixed it - printer was on IRQ7, was conflicting with the printer.

From beyond that point, my attitude has always been 'how hard can it be?' when it comes to this stuff. I mean, it's all based on pretty simple logic once you get low enough in the stack....
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Bloody kids!

Amstrad PCW 8256 or 8512 with a 3" 'compact floppy' drive running Locoscript for word processing and Head Over Heels for fun.

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division