Your fleet running reports

Explosive Newt

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:45 pm The one in my 996 will depend on the conditions - based on the temperature and how recently the car ran the dash gives a countdown of how long you need to wait.

Fully warmed up then left overnight so it’s stone cold should = most accurate reading.

Still warm and/or only started briefly then the oil hasn’t had time to drain down completely.
I’ve noticed it is when it does a longer countdown it says all is well, if that means anything. My drive at home is an incline, which people inside the Internet seem to think makes a difference.

It may well be easiest just to add a small top up and see what it says after, although I worry about over-filling.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:34 pm My drive at home is an incline, which people inside the Internet seem to think makes a difference.
Probably, but people in internet are not to be trusted ;)

Do you drive it to work - is the parking there level ? Or maybe park it facing the opposite way to normal at home and see if it makes a difference ? I'd be wary of just chucking more oil in.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Don't they have a dipstick? I think if so, that might be the easiest way to check the level of the oil inside of the engine device. 👍
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:48 pm Don't they have a dipstick? I think if so, that might be the easiest way to check the level of the oil inside of the engine device. 👍
They don’t. Presumably the good people at Porsche thought the average Porker Punter wouldn’t want to get their hands dirty.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:47 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:34 pm My drive at home is an incline, which people inside the Internet seem to think makes a difference.
Probably, but people in internet are not to be trusted ;)

Do you drive it to work - is the parking there level ? Or maybe park it facing the opposite way to normal at home and see if it makes a difference ? I'd be wary of just chucking more oil in.
Both sensible ideas but I live 5 minutes’ walk from work and the John Radcliffe hospital car parks aren’t level anyway. And the gymnastics involved in getting the car up the steep driveway without scraping the bumper means it can only go in one way.

I think the next opportunity for a level surface will be when I visit the Mrs next weekend. Ely is almost famous for how flat it is.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Nic wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:52 pm The Touareg doesn’t leak, Q7 however :roll:
Ah, of course, they're fundamentally the same underneath aren't they ? When I did the front wishbones on mine (the Touareg), the special alignment bolts were cheaper from Audi than VW despite being *exactly* the same item.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:57 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:48 pm Don't they have a dipstick? I think if so, that might be the easiest way to check the level of the oil inside of the engine device. 👍
They don’t. Presumably the good people at Porsche thought the average Porker Punter wouldn’t want to get their hands dirty.
Is yours a 987 then? I had 986 3.2S in my mind.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:07 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:57 pm
Is yours a 987 then? I had 986 3.2S in my mind.
Correct 👍
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:04 pm
Ah, of course, they're fundamentally the same underneath aren't they ? When I did the front wishbones on mine (the Touareg), the special alignment bolts were cheaper from Audi than VW despite being *exactly* the same item.

TPS ftw (if you have one nearby of course).
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:05 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:45 pmHOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE
THE ALIGNMENT TOOL! I NEVER KNEW!

Stars or planets? :shock:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:07 pm TPS ftw (if you have one nearby of course).
They’re just trade aren’t they ?

Nearest is Reading which is a least an hours’s round trip compared to my local ECP which is more like 15 mins if there’s not a queue of numpties wanting advice.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:26 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:07 pm TPS ftw (if you have one nearby of course).
They’re just trade aren’t they ?

Nearest is Reading which is a least an hours’s round trip compared to my local ECP which is more like 15 mins if there’s not a queue of numpties wanting advice.

Ish, always worth asking though, ime people can make things happen if you're not an arse. Likewise at ECP, but I was commenting on dealer only parts.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mito passed its Mot.

Should hope so too being the newest car I've owned by 12 years :lol:

Tester was somewhat surprised to see me in something not only not a BMW, but not even German!
Cheers, Harry
Nic

Post by Nic »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:04 pm
My X5 was the worst for it, would come back to it lopsided.

Q7 just sits lower on all round after a few days of being parked up. There’s a lot of similarities, but they are very different to drive, the Touareg feels much smaller, more like a large Golf with very light steering. Q7 feels bigger, wider and more planted when driving. While having the Touareg cleaned yesterday I found it had a tyre inflator plumbed in to the air system under the passenger seat, which reminded me that my brothers Cayenne had the same system, I recall the Cayenne having much heavier/more weighted steering.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Stepwagon did the best part of 1000 miles around Wales, 6-up (including 2 kids in massive seats) and all our stuff fitted in fine. Enjoying having it around.

I'd put in an insurance claim for the rear damage after getting a couple of quotes. Insurer wanted me to take it to their approved place, who sucked their teeth and reckoned it needed a new tailgate. Insurance company rang me to say that as it would be 10+ weeks for parts, they'd rather just pay me that quote minus my excess and I sort it out. Just found one being broken with a good tailgate (albeit in a different colour). This could work out quite well.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:45 pm
HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE

A2s could have a false floor;

with one thus equipped you could have;

The compressor and toolkit is under the flap you see under the wheel, unless you had Bose fitted when the (sub)woofer was there so the toolkit etc was in the hollow under the driver's carpet.

evo, the thrill of not getting stuck with a puncture :oops:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

simon_g wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 pm This could work out quite well.
8-)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The Volvo was a pretty ideal car for a trip to the Scottish islands and Edinburgh. Saw quite a few V90s including a number of CCs so it's definitely their stamping ground. Managed 32mpg on the way up and 29.something on the way back, so not as terrible economy as it was before it was run in. The journey back included 300 miles of M74/M6 in driving rain pretty much the whole way and the radar cruise control worked really well when it was hard to see the car in front; it slowed me down earlier than I could react if the cars in front slowed. I'd previously found it a bit annoying (you can switch modes to normal cruise though) but now I've seen the benefits in crappy conditions I'm sold.

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I find adaptive cruse control quite annoying tbh, sometimes you need to let the car in front 'know you're there' to get it to move :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:55 am I find adaptive cruse control quite annoying tbh, sometimes you need to let the car in front 'know you're there' to get it to move :lol:
I love the Adaptive Cruise in the Golf, it’s probably the thing I’ll miss the most. To get the car in front to move, you just use the accelerator to sit up their arse then let ACC take over again when they’re gone. Simple.
Middle-aged Dirtbag