Your fleet running reports

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:31 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:11 pm

On the puma that was caused by a flaky rocker cover gasket (and was horrible to clean out), but I'm not sure if that's relatable to the E90 330 lump.

Clean it up - decently - take a picture, and next time you do an oil top up, see if the oil has returned. It genuinely could be just a spill.
Definitely valve cover gasket.
Yeah it occurred to me when I took it for a spin around the block that this was the likely cause. I had the sump gasket done last year in a bid to chase down a suspected leak - it's looking like it was the rocker cover all along. Looks like a fiddly twat of a job to do as well, not like the ones I've done in the past.
Mike, get it done at a main dealer - they’ll just charge you the book price. An indie will charge more because it’ll take longer than the book says and they’ll have to replace any other old bits they break in the process.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:19 am Mike, get it done at a main dealer - they’ll just charge you the book price. An indie will charge more because it’ll take longer than the book says and they’ll have to replace any other old bits they break in the process.
Thankfully not my indie. They charge based on the quoted job time as a maximum or less if they do it quicker. 8-) They made a point of telling me as much when they did my fuel tank breather hose last year, after it took them ages... :lol:

I'm back to hoping it might have been clumsy topping up actually, as I completely forgot that I also found some oil in one of the recesses above the plugs but below the filler, some way above the gasket. I shall monitor
Nic

Post by Nic »

Tried to buy a couple of ML420 CDI’s with air and for various reasons it just didn’t work out. Me being tight is probably the most consistent reason. While searching the usual suspects of ML, Touareg and X5 a Touareg Altitude v6 diesel with air came up for sale on eBay, 1 previous owner, full history and 106,000 miles so I headed down to look at it this morning. It was up for £4500 and I’d asked the trader who was selling it if it had a towbar to which he replied no. While looking at it I opened one of the side compartments in the boot and saw a tow bar key, quick look under the boot floor to check for damage and I could see what I thought was a tow bar hidden under the towing eye etc. Didn’t want to mention it and haggled hard with him, at one point he walked back in to his house. £3750 later and I’m home with it.

Winning.
mik

Post by mik »

:lol: sneaky
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That’s a shame, although in the ML I think the 420 isn’t a great paring. The Touraeg has a better interior imo too. A lot of car for the money!!

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

What I wanna know is how that spare tyre works? Looks really odd!
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It unfolds as it's inflated. Think Porsche have used the same sort of thing for decades.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well my mind is blown.
Money shot from 45 seconds

HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:41 pm It unfolds as it's inflated. Think Porsche have used the same sort of thing for decades.
Correct. My 1991 Porky 944S2 had one.

Good luck deflating and returning it to its original location. (Never had to try personally - thank
Goodness)
Nic

Post by Nic »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:04 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:41 pm It unfolds as it's inflated. Think Porsche have used the same sort of thing for decades.
Correct. My 1991 Porky 944S2 had one.

Good luck deflating and returning it to its original location. (Never had to try personally - thank
Goodness)
Had to use the one in the Q7 a while back, I think the correct pump will also deflate it so it’s fits back in.
Nic

Post by Nic »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:30 pm That’s a shame, although in the ML I think the 420 isn’t a great paring. The Touraeg has a better interior imo too. A lot of car for the money!!

Dave!
I’m fussy but generally will buy what ever I get for a bargain than being stuck on a certain model. ML420 next time hopefully.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:45 pm HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE
I had one on the Merc. Never seen on before that either.

Except, if you use it, on the SLK the boots too small to put a fat 19" wheel in. So I guess the passenger has to carry it. Or you just leave it behind for the alloy wombles.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Nic wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:46 pm ...Touareg Altitude v6 diesel with air...
Does the suspension leak ? Mine does :( Not noticeable day-to-day but if it's left for a week or so you feel it lift up when you start the engine.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That's totally normal for air-sprung cars isn't it? I'd imagine safety says they can't have a fully sealed system, so to speak.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I can see the sense in having safety valve(s) to release excess pressure, but I'm not sure they're meant to leak down on their own.

Passat Update

It threw up a whole raft of errors last week for ABS, traction control, steering, parking brake and tyre monitor. Error codes pointed to a duff nsr wheel speed sensor. I changed the sensor and now it's fine again. The end.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Getting rid of the car cover now as I think it has put one or two tiny scratches in the paintwork and the car now appears to be waterproof at last.

Is the Boxster’s electronic oil level sensor thingumty just incredibly inaccurate? Sometimes it reads bang on the middle and others it reads low. I am not sure which to believe.

Otherwise it put in flawless service on some exceptionally narrow roads in Gloucester this weekend.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

The one in my 996 will depend on the conditions - based on the temperature and how recently the car ran the dash gives a countdown of how long you need to wait.

Fully warmed up then left overnight so it’s stone cold should = most accurate reading.

Still warm and/or only started briefly then the oil hasn’t had time to drain down completely.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:48 pm
Nic wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:46 pm ...Touareg Altitude v6 diesel with air...
Does the suspension leak ? Mine does :( Not noticeable day-to-day but if it's left for a week or so you feel it lift up when you start the engine.
The Touareg doesn’t leak, Q7 however :roll:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Nic wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:46 pm Image
that really doesn’t look like a sub £4K car - it looks damn smart!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:45 pmHOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE
THE ALIGNMENT TOOL! I NEVER KNEW!
Middle-aged Dirtbag