Any Weber fans?

Jezh

Re: Any Weber fans?

Post by Jezh »

I use this

Lit with these

Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
mik

Post by mik »

You light it with tagliatelle?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They’re straw dipped in wax, good firelighters and not nasty like those white petroleum based cubes. I use a ferro rod with them because it’s fecking cool 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

mik wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:18 pm You light it with tagliatelle?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Best firelighter I ever used was a pine cone. We were on honeymoon and had forgotten firelighters when out shopping. I tried using fecking all sorts to get the BBQ going (balled up paper, an old rag). Then I realised the villa was set on a hillside which was covered in pine trees and there were cones everywhere. Got to be worth a try thought I.

Holy crap! :shock: It worked possibly a little too well. Had to stand well out of the way for 5 minutes as it was a bit lively. :lol:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:24 pm Best firelighter I ever used was a pine cone. We were on honeymoon and had forgotten firelighters when out shopping. I tried using fecking all sorts to get the BBQ going (balled up paper, an old rag). Then I realised the villa was set on a hillside which was covered in pine trees and there were cones everywhere. Got to be worth a try thought I.

Holy crap! :shock: It worked possibly a little too well. Had to stand well out of the way for 5 minutes as it was a bit lively. :lol:
I’m going to remember that, can get a decent supply from the parents!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Birch bark is also very flammable and peels like paper. It’s also the only wood that burns clean when freshly cut. Various pines and larches are lovely to work with as they don’t have many knots and are flammable due to the turpentine. The forestry commission hate anything non broad leaf though and even offer grants to replace them but it’s not worth the effort.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Tortillas and Birch Bark can also be used...

Edit - refreshed and saw Mito’s Post... :oops: :D
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:29 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:24 pm Best firelighter I ever used was a pine cone. We were on honeymoon and had forgotten firelighters when out shopping. I tried using fecking all sorts to get the BBQ going (balled up paper, an old rag). Then I realised the villa was set on a hillside which was covered in pine trees and there were cones everywhere. Got to be worth a try thought I.

Just make sure you have plenty of charcoal! It burned white hot for a long time. Felt like I was looking at the centre of the sun!
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Just make sure you have plenty of charcoal! It burned white hot for a long time. Felt like I was looking at the centre of the sun!
Good! :D
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:13 pm I recently bought one of these :

because I wanted to have more control over the temperature and intensity of the heat - The Coals can be raised or lowered as needed. I still have a few Webbers (a 47CM Kettle and a Go-Anywhere for camping) but I haven't used them since I got this.

Jacks right about National Trust and Charocal but if you can't get anything like thas, Homebase stock this stuff and it's half decent - good large lumps that burn for ages - recognisable bits of trees and branches etc.

We bought the double version of this last year, very nice to cook on and has been used about 15 times at a guess for up to 25 people.

We got a load of Weber charcoal briquettes but after 2 hours the heat was minimal, not that impressed to be honest. It was on offer at Go-Outdoors.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I was tempted Dave... :) but we don’t cook for that many people that often and it’s a lot of space to heat if you’re roasting a Joint for 3...

Still not sure why pretty much the same unit is available all over the place but called different names...mine is a “Franklin Charcoal” but my mates is identical but called a ”Landmann Grill”

Because China I suppose

Edit - I’ve decided to fire it up tonight to cook 1 piece of steak...😂 Charcoal is in the chimney as we speak

Edit Edit - fuck me that was lush!!! Hickory wood chips and rosemary twigs for smoke... 🙂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Richard

Post by Richard »

Some charred cauliflower on the BBQ is a great new thing I’ve started doing this year. Cut into florets, add flavour, then char. Delicious
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

No.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Every time Richard makes a recommendation on any subject I look at his avatar and go "yeah I'll pass mate cheers" :lol:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I remember my dad had one fitted to our MK2 Golf to replace the factory fit Pierburg, what a transformation!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Roast chicken in the bbq came out well today. Lidl charcoal seems good. Staying hot for ages.
Left over crest; tightens.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

JonMad wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:15 pm Roast chicken in the bbq came out well today. Lidl charcoal seems good. Staying hot for ages.
On the bone ?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

JonMad wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:15 pm Roast chicken in the bbq came out well today. Lidl charcoal seems good. Staying hot for ages.
Have you got a meat thermometer? And doesn't BBQ chicken stay way more juicy than when done in the oven!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Carlos wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:26 pm
On the bone ?
Whole bird. Yes, it was pretty good. Tried with it sat on a beer can but it fell over so more beer into the juices. This was the recipe https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/beer-can-chicken

Just bubbling up the carcass now for some stock.
Left over crest; tightens.