Any Weber fans?

Orange Cola

Any Weber fans?

Post by Orange Cola »

I’ve got one on the way, last years models are on a decent discount at the moment and I couldn’t resist. What do you lot cook?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Re: Any Weber fans?

Post by NotoriousREV »

I'm considering one. I currently use an old B&Q gas BBQ which is now essentially a gas-powered pile of rust flakes but is really convenient for just lighting, cooking and enjoying. The gas bottle ran out yesterday so I think that's the sign to replace the whole thing (I really can't emphasise enough how rusty the thing is, it's literally falling apart) and I'm trying to decide between the smallest Weber (we don't do big BBQ parties, it's usually just a few things we cook at a time so no need for anything bigger) or another gasser. Gas is obviously way more convenient but food does taste better over proper coals.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

A family member is big into BBQ’ing and he gave me a decent talk through on my parents newly bought Weber, hence buying this one. I was amazed at how quick you can get one going using the starter chimney (15-20 minutes), I was equally amazed at how bad off brand non Weber lighters and charcoal was at getting lit, keeping its heat and tainting the food taste with paraffin. We cooked for quite a few people and I also found out I could get one going on a part heat for doing smaller cooks for just a few of us. I’m hoping to do things like pizza as well as her usual sausage, bacon and chicken.

I bought mine from wow BBQ, they have an offer on last years model with a cover. Worth checking out their offers.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Weber charcoal is certainly good quality - gets to temp quickly and doesn't disintegrate after 5mins either. I just wish I could find a decent supplier of locally produced charcoal tbh.
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

I nearly bought a Weber but got this instead https://thebbqshop.co.uk/BBQs/napoleon- ... 22ck-c-bbq

Having gone from cheap charcoal BBQ's to gas then back to this I can't fault it, this style just seems to work best. As you say lighting with the chimney is bloody quick and this one also has a couple of charcoal baskets so you can move the heat to where you want it and use one if you are only cooking for small numbers or both for larger feasts. The griddle is also split into thirds with the two outer parts hinged for ease of adding more fuel if needed.

From the usual fayre to big joints of meat, pizzas etc it copes with them all. I would also highly recommend using catering grade lumpwood charcoal. Burns hotter for longer and you don't use as much compared to the chippings you get in typical supermarket offerings. Normally comes in 12KG bags for about a tenner so is bloody good value as well.
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

Swerv, have you tried National Trust properties local to you? Several near me make their own charcoal from the local woodlands.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I recently bought one of these :

because I wanted to have more control over the temperature and intensity of the heat - The Coals can be raised or lowered as needed. I still have a few Webbers (a 47CM Kettle and a Go-Anywhere for camping) but I haven't used them since I got this.

Jacks right about National Trust and Charocal but if you can't get anything like thas, Homebase stock this stuff and it's half decent - good large lumps that burn for ages - recognisable bits of trees and branches etc.

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Weber's own briquettes are excellent as well, they burn for hours.

Spatchcock Whole Chicken is probably my favourite thing to do, hour ish indirect 😎

I never seen to have the time to do an 8hr long slow cook pork butt ☹️
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Surprised that Weber seem to have a new model every year? At the end of the day how much can you change a bbq :lol:

I do most of my BBQing on a fire pit table, prefer the social aspect of sitting round a table with everyone - just have to use very dry wood so it’s smokeless. I just use actual wood for all my bbqing.

My parents wanted a picnic table with a BBQ for the same reason but it didn’t exist so I knocked one up out of spare timber they had. Not bad for some decking, pallet wood and 4x2. Seats 6.
Then went to Argos and bought a £40 bbq to stick on the end which worked well after hacking the legs off.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jackleg wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:02 pm Swerv, have you tried National Trust properties local to you? Several near me make their own charcoal from the local woodlands.
Good shout actually. I don't recall ever seeing any when I've been there but I'll check that out ta. There did used to be a local "urban" coppiceman who we got wood from that I know did charcoal as well, but he's packed it all in sadly.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Looks good Mito...👍🏻
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I was just thinking the other day we needed a bbq thread. I have a crappy old gas one but last weekend bought a barrel one from Tesco that was only £18, including cover. It has the adjustable air holes and a temp gauge. Going to try beer can chicken this weekend amongst the more usual burgers etc.
Left over crest; tightens.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’ve gone for all Weber stuff, shopping around and getting it delivered seems to be the best way of not paying a fortune, I think I saved myself 50% by getting it from a garden centre rather than amazon.

I wold like to do a few slow roasts, ideally a Sunday roast, so I’ll need to play around with the charcoal and get used to it before attempting that.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I want to try Yorkshire Puddings on the BBQ.
Left over crest; tightens.
tim

Post by tim »

I always thought it was a shame he retired from F1. Nice bloke.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Orange Cola wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:47 pm I wold like to do a few slow roasts, ideally a Sunday roast, so I’ll need to play around with the charcoal and get used to it before attempting that.
No chance of that on mine - it's an Outback Flamer. And it lives up to the name :lol:

I once managed to do a cote de boeuf to be fair, that I did for a couple of hours, but it required a lot of management. Was lovely though, with a nice thick bark on the outside and just rare in the middle.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

JonMad wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:43 pm I was just thinking the other day we needed a bbq thread. I have a crappy old gas one but last weekend bought a barrel one from Tesco that was only £18, including cover. It has the adjustable air holes and a temp gauge. Going to try beer can chicken this weekend amongst the more usual burgers etc.
I have a Weber master touch in Red and it's awesome. I love cooking on it using both direct & indirect heat. Quality of build means you can really control the temp for a wide variety of cooking. Highly recommended!!

I wouldn't bother with the beer can chicken. My best results are doing a whole chicken on indirect heat at 200c for approx 2hrs for a 2kg bird. Using a meat thermometer set at 78c and go by that.

As mentioned the Weber briquettes are ace but expensive. The cheap supermarket stuff smokes like a MoFo and just doesn't last as long.

Chickens are probably what I do most on it but things like baby back ribs, the Xmas Turkey & shoulder/leg of lamb/pork are awesome along with more traditional burger and sausages. We have a superb farm shop near us that always has loads of BBQ goodies to cook.
tim

Post by tim »

I shagged his PA once. True story.

Actually I think it was twice.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

tim wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:50 pm I shagged his PA once. True story.

Actually I think it was twice.
Thank goodness you didn't name him. At least you're relatively discreet! :lol: :lol:
tim

Post by tim »

Very soft hands.