Your fleet running reports

Explosive Newt

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Explosive Newt »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:15 pm Image

Even on a small basic old car like a metro it is remarkably heavy. No wonder everyone went canbus with shared function looms!
Can't say I'm suprised if they included a hydraulic jack in the loom, seems a bit over-engineered.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

A2 has pooped a rear wheel cylinder, I used the Polo and had a branch come down on it :roll: Fortunately I managed to avoid the hefty part of it so all that happened was many splat marks ('90s yo), light scratches on the poor paint & lifting lacquer, and various leaves/twigs/berries/etc caught in shutlines/wipers. The two cars that were following stopped to check I was ok which was unexpected but nice 8-)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

With the return of cold weather comes the return of the misfire on the 330. 4rse. Quick turn off and back on yesterday evening sorted it. However, this morning it's refusing to sort itself through that approach. Persistent misfire on Cyl1, whereas the previous intermittent misfire was Cyl2.

So just about to pull the trigger on 2 new coils and some new plugs. Fingers crossed it sorts it - no longer used to having a car that doesn't work since my French ownership days!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:28 am
So just about to pull the trigger ...
Stop that. Stop that right now.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Not before pulling his finger out.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:17 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:28 am
So just about to pull the trigger ...
Stop that. Stop that right now.
Trigger...squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezed, and bam! Pulled.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Yeti: did well on a week in Cornwall. I grazed the front lower bumper on a verge down one of the particularly narrow lanes but otherwise excellent.
Megane: doing the station run well and, unlike the one a friend of mine took to Bedford at the weekend, hasn't blown up.
Fabia: started for the first time since Brands. Trip to Tesco. Nothing fell off.
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

JonMad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:27 pm Megane: doing the station run well and, unlike the one a friend of mine took to Bedford at the weekend, hasn't blown up.
Not Ian (?), the chap who was at Brands with us ?
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:56 am
JonMad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:27 pm Megane: doing the station run well and, unlike the one a friend of mine took to Bedford at the weekend, hasn't blown up.
Not Ian (?), the chap who was at Brands with us ?
No, a guy with a mk3 that was running 350bhp or so. Also in Hook as it happens - we are a hotbed for tuned Meganes.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Ian gave him a lift home and the car went off somewhere else to be investigated, and most likely rebuilt forged.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Well I drove a GL320 diesel today to see if I could put up with the engine.

No, no I can’t. The interior is even lovelier than I remember though but once I was out of 2nd I’d decided it’s a hateful dog of a lump compared to a bigger petrol. The problem being I’m not sure I could stomach the petrol bill of a GL500.

The ride was lovely, it felt a whole generation newer and it had acres of space, perfect for what we are after. Hmm, I’ll need to do more checking.

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Days until my Golf lease ends: 40
Days until my next service is due: 30

😡
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

TMI.

Tell us when the next service is due on the Golf.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

New coils fitted to 1 & 2 and all's well again. Smooth running values for cyl5 seem a little wild but a quick Google shows that to be quite common. I'll look into that further but it's otherwise running smooth. I might order another 4 coils tbh and just change them on cyls3-6 anyway now I know how quick it is to do.

Here's a comparison of old Bosch vs new Delphi

Bit of a difference.

Lastly, anyone any ideas why I might have a load of oil pooled in the well between the plugs for cyl1 & 2? Apart from a crap topping up job by you know who...

JonMad

Post by JonMad »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:27 pm Days until my Golf lease ends: 40
Days until my next service is due: 30

😡
This is why I handed mine back early for what I felt was a smaller fee than paying for a service and it also needed two tyres.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:48 pm
Lastly, anyone any ideas why I might have a load of oil pooled in the well between the plugs for cyl1 & 2? Apart from a crap topping up job by you know who...
On the puma that was caused by a flaky rocker cover gasket (and was horrible to clean out), but I'm not sure if that's relatable to the E90 330 lump.

Clean it up - decently - take a picture, and next time you do an oil top up, see if the oil has returned. It genuinely could be just a spill.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:11 pm
On the puma that was caused by a flaky rocker cover gasket (and was horrible to clean out), but I'm not sure if that's relatable to the E90 330 lump.

Clean it up - decently - take a picture, and next time you do an oil top up, see if the oil has returned. It genuinely could be just a spill.
Definitely valve cover gasket.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah I had that on the 6 series last year.

Speaking of my dad told me BMW are doing cheap services at the moment, booked it in for an oil change for £130 which isn’t bad for a BMW stamp and someone else to wash the car. May add rear discs and pads too as they don’t seem to be charging much more than the genuine items cost.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:31 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Definitely valve cover gasket.
Yeah it occurred to me when I took it for a spin around the block that this was the likely cause. I had the sump gasket done last year in a bid to chase down a suspected leak - it's looking like it was the rocker cover all along. Looks like a fiddly twat of a job to do as well, not like the ones I've done in the past.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Grommet replaced, wiring re-directed and the whole thing covered up with sealant, hopefully no more leaky Boxsters.

Apparently the cable running through is for a tracker which I was previously unaware of! Will check the docs from the previous owner more carefully when I get home. I wonder if re-activating any subscription on it will be worth my while.