Holiday or endurance trial?

dinny_g

Re: Holiday or endurance trial?

Post by dinny_g »

I do tend to overdo things for the UK trips somewhat - have and not need etc.

I have yet to use my Mandoline on any self catering holiday... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I started taking a knife sharpener on holiday with me. When you're pulling long, spiral burrs off each and every knife for quite a while, you know you made the right choice.

In the UK, I'll just take a knife.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Some of y’all don’t really understand holidays, do you?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 am Some of y’all don’t really understand holidays, do you?
I understand them so little that I don't take them.

If I'm going to be frustratingly bored because I've got nothing to do - which is what would happen - I might as well do it at home where I can walk around in my pants all day if I want to :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:36 am Some of y’all don’t really understand holidays, do you?
I'm about to go away with my3 kids, my mother, sister and their respective partners.

I really don't understand holidays. :lol:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Beany wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 am

If I'm going to be frustratingly bored because I've got nothing to do - which is what would happen - I might as well do it at home where I can walk around in my pants all day if I want to :lol:
It's absolutely unfathomable to me how you can have literally no interest in seeing anywhere or anything new, different or impressive.
Beany

Post by Beany »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:19 pm
Beany wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 am

It's absolutely unfathomable to me how you can have literally no interest in seeing anywhere or anything new, different or impressive.
The meds are nuking my anxiety, not my depression, JL ;)

I have no interest in anything, really, so being a few hundred miles from home while being disinterested is just a waste of resources. :lol:

Perhaps when I get the prescription reviewed, I'll get put on something that might make me start taking an interest in 'things'. Until then, meh.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You and Nathan should get hitched. :lol:

Have you not considered that a temporary change of scene might help the depression?
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

How do you do yours?

I know I have atypical preferences, but basically I need to have a purpose. Sitting on a beach, sitting by a pool, sitting in a bar, or wandering around random local attractions (as distinct from ones I specifically want to see) simply aren't pleasurable activities for me.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

It's simple for me. Having nothing to do, hence my penchant for sitting in a field with a book and a beer.

There's always something to do at home.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I don’t really like doing nothing on holiday, But there’s lots to see in this world, so the idea of being in a hot kitchen cooking for other people doesn’t sound enjoyable in the slightest.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I think there's a bit of a difference between what Nef did / does and me cooking for my family when we go away. (although I have cooked Steaks for 50 hungry Aussies at a wedding once :lol: )

I don't really want to eat in a restaurant for lunch and again for dinner every night of the holiday. And besides, it's not always a convenient option - I spent Christmas in Scotland where it was a good hours drive to the nearest pub - sod doing that round trip every evening. And again last time in France, very rural, very few restaurants and very variable opening hours so I cooked a lot that time too (although we had 2 excellent dinners on Le Mont st Michel)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Nefarious wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:39 pm
How do you do yours?

I know I have atypical preferences, but basically I need to have a purpose. Sitting on a beach, sitting by a pool, sitting in a bar, or wandering around random local attractions (as distinct from ones I specifically want to see) simply aren't pleasurable activities for me.
I go to places where there’s lots to see and do, and then go and see and do them. I don’t mind a day on the beach but I couldn’t do it every day. For example, we’re going to Lake Garda soon so we’ll go boating, visit Venice, visit the Ferrari Museum, go to a water park, eat lots of pizza and pasta that someone else cooked etc.

It’s fair to say I’m not a people person, so the idea of going away with 20-30 other people is my worst nightmare. I enjoy making a meal for me and MrsREV, but catering for a large party for every meal for a week? No thanks, you literally couldn’t pay me to do it, never mind get me to do it for free :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Carlos wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:05 pm It's simple for me. Having nothing to do, hence my penchant for sitting in a field with a book and a beer.

There's always something to do at home.
I’d love to buy a holiday house, but it would end up being somewhere else I’d go where there were loads of odd jobs to do 😄
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Looking like this is a minority view on holiday.

Can see the attraction if couples/people take turns but not to be a slave all week.... :lol:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm we’re going to Lake Garda soon
I loved watching the hydrofoil ferries taking off and landing (if that's the right phrase) at Garda.

I loved Verona and I'll be really interested to hear what you thought of Venice.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
mik

Post by mik »

We went to Lake Gara when the sproglets were much more sproglet-y. Decided to rent a speedboat (6 seat thing with a 50hp outboard) for a couple of hours which was great fun, but the kids just got on and slept through the hole thing :roll: >
Beany

Post by Beany »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:57 pm You and Nathan should get hitched. :lol:

Have you not considered that a temporary change of scene might help the depression?
Do you have a t-shirt that says 'Live, Love, Laugh' on it?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Beany wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:04 pm

I think he has it embroidered on a tea towel.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Beany wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:04 pm

No mate, I don't.

I do have one that says '"life is fucking short, stop being a miserable cunt and see a bit of the planet' though. Shall I send it to you?

I've been down the depression rabbit run a few times so this isn't 'snap out of it' shite. Any distraction can be welcome, not like it'll make things worse or anything.

Anyway fuck it as you know best, always.