Your fleet running reports

Explosive Newt

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Explosive Newt »

Found the source of water ingress into the front boot - loose grommet behind the nearside headlight. Not been able to gently persuade it back in, so another trip to Northway is in the offing.

I am in some ways quite relived that I am not a dozy bastard who leaves his boot open. In the meantime, the car is living under a cover and wearing the automotive equivalent of a tenalady in the front boot.
Attachments
6151F3F0-F1C2-4117-81D7-6390581F1C31.jpeg
6151F3F0-F1C2-4117-81D7-6390581F1C31.jpeg (82.13 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

simon_g wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:54 pm
Repair quote is very steep (not least because of the fancy Honda pearl paint) so have to put it through insurance.

You could have that pulled, skimmed and painted for £250
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Found out today that it isn't my wheels that need balancing. It would appear that both rear wheels on the M140i are not as circular as they ought to be. Can't get in to friendly BMW garage until 27th due to "stuff" to get them looked at and a warranty claim put in the their evil overlords.

Wheels look immaculate too. They been balanced up as well as possible for the short term. Bugger!!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Are they likely to warranty bent wheels? It's wear and tear surely?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:26 pm Are they likely to warranty bent wheels? It's wear and tear surely?
It's worth a crack and the dealership were open to it. The wheels have not the slightest sign of damage on them and the car is only 11 months old. Watch me kerb it before the visit. The worst they can say is "no" at which point I'll buy two and put it through my expenses.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Nathan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:29 pm
Repair quote is very steep (not least because of the fancy Honda pearl paint) so have to put it through insurance.
Yes, some of the PDR / smart repair guys do amazing work.

Worth investigating.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:35 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:26 pm Are they likely to warranty bent wheels? It's wear and tear surely?
It's worth a crack and the dealership were open to it. The wheels have not the slightest sign of damage on them and the car is only 11 months old. Watch me kerb it before the visit. The worst they can say is "no" at which point I'll buy two and put it through my expenses.
I wouldn't buy 2! Just get them straightened out.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:00 pm
McSwede wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:35 pm
I wouldn't buy 2! Just get them straightened out.
We shall see what happens the review the options
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:53 pm Found the source of water ingress into the front boot - loose grommet behind the nearside headlight. Not been able to gently persuade it back in, so another trip to Northway is in the offing.

I am in some ways quite relived that I am not a dozy bastard who leaves his boot open. In the meantime, the car is living under a cover and wearing the automotive equivalent of a tenalady in the front boot.
Nice work tracking it down, water leaks are a fucking nightmare...and they make the car stink. Never managed to fix the one in the Bora, and after every rainfall is smells like a swamp.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

My headlight PPF is attempting to make an escape.

Finding pre-cut stuff is proving to be difficult, so may have to go to a place and get something done custom. I wasn't going to bother....but after seeing how much new light units are, I'll probably just get it done.
Attachments
ppfescape.jpg
ppfescape.jpg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just buy a roll off eBay and do it yourself? Lights are easy as piss to do.
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Intermittent ‘Brake System Fault’ imminent fiery death warnings coming up on the Megane dash. Suspect low fluid.
Left over crest; tightens.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Nathan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Too far gone for that.

ImageIMG_3084 by kiteless, on Flickr
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Matty wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:41 pm My headlight PPF is attempting to make an escape.

Finding pre-cut stuff is proving to be difficult, so may have to go to a place and get something done custom. I wasn't going to bother....but after seeing how much new light units are, I'll probably just get it done.
I'm with mito on this - can you make a template by tracing the light and cut something yourself?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Or just not bother? Even the dots that are still stuck have an obvious and ugly edge, and I doubt a bit of film would do much to blunt the impact of a strike hard enough to break the light anyway.

May be of more use to prevent the hundreds of tiny chips that build up over time, but as it's not likely to do mega mileage pounding up and down the motorway all day I expect it'll be long gone before that becomes a problem.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The rest of the car has PPF though, and that’s the problem with precut as it doesn’t cover the edges so if you hit it the wrong way with the pressure washer it can lift. I just Applied PPF on my lights and used a surgical scalpel then tucked the edges in with a plastic trim removal tool - no visible edge. Hopefully it won’t get degraded by uv and road rash either as the old ones looked a bit beat after 80,000 miles despite polishing them up.
How about not having a sig at all?
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

McSwede wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:33 pm Found out today that it isn't my wheels that need balancing. It would appear that both rear wheels on the M140i are not as circular as they ought to be. Can't get in to friendly BMW garage until 27th due to "stuff" to get them looked at and a warranty claim put in the their evil overlords.

Wheels look immaculate too. They been balanced up as well as possible for the short term. Bugger!!
One of my standard 18s is slightly bent. One of the stealers in Glasgow tried to charge me £650 for one. Looking to get it straighten soon.
M235i
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Alex_ wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:13 am
McSwede wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:33 pm Found out today that it isn't my wheels that need balancing. It would appear that both rear wheels on the M140i are not as circular as they ought to be. Can't get in to friendly BMW garage until 27th due to "stuff" to get them looked at and a warranty claim put in the their evil overlords.

One of my standard 18s is slightly bent. One of the stealers in Glasgow tried to charge me £650 for one. Looking to get it straighten soon.
It cost me £450 for a new rear when mine cracked a couple of years ago - that was from Cotswold.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

MINI is MOT’d. Two new tyres from Blackcircles fitted at home by a mobile blokie. Cam cover gasket + special washers from eBay. Full set of discs & pads from ECP and a pair of exhaust mounts from GSF.

Even doing it all myself (except the tyres, obvs) it cost me about 15% of what the car cost to buy in the first place. I can see why people think cheap old cars are expensive to run.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Used my handy lift to get some suspension parts off the donor metro before it's scrapped

And the full body loom which I will thin out and hybrid to fit into my lightweight base model carb car which I'll be running with fuel injection.

Even on a small basic old car like a metro it is remarkably heavy. No wonder everyone went canbus with shared function looms!
Cheers, Harry