Decent Recent TV

dinny_g

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by dinny_g »

Just downloaded Chernobyl again - it really is bloody terrifying and brilliant in equal measure

Just finished Episode 4 - JL, for the love of God, don’t watch that one... :(
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:39 pm Just downloaded Chernobyl again - it really is bloody terrifying and brilliant in equal measure

Brilliant TV, The "human robots" sequence is... tense. The only nitpick is I kinda wish they hadn't made some of the story>reality decisions (the heli crash, the miscarriage and the bridge of death) as I don't think many of them were really that important storywise and they just distract discussions.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah - unnecessary poetic licence.

But not enough to distract - thus was my second viewing and will be watching again.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

RobYob wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:49 pm
dinny_g wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:39 pm Just downloaded Chernobyl again - it really is bloody terrifying and brilliant in equal measure

Brilliant TV, The "human robots" sequence is... tense. The only nitpick is I kinda wish they hadn't made some of the story>reality decisions (the heli crash, the miscarriage and the bridge of death) as I don't think many of them were really that important storywise and they just distract discussions.
I watched it again after listening to the podcasts. It is incredible TV and I will watch many times more. Jared Harris and Stellan Skarsgard are fabulous.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Can you linky the podcast as I’m a lazy bastard... :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:09 pm Can you linky the podcast as I’m a lazy bastard... :lol:

It's great btw. One for each episode
Simon

Post by Simon »

McSwede wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:08 pm
RobYob wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:49 pm

I watched it again after listening to the podcasts. It is incredible TV and I will watch many times more. Jared Harris and Stellan Skarsgard are fabulous.
Has he ever taken a bad role? I can't think of one.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

First saw him in Ronin. Not seen a bad performance from him.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

240PP wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:46 pm First saw him in Ronin. Not seen a bad performance from him.
Mama Mia! Here we go again.

Not seen it and never will but can't imagine that being any good. Hopefully JL will come along in a minute and tell me how wrong I am :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

McSwede wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:26 pm
dinny_g wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:09 pm Can you linky the podcast as I’m a lazy bastard... :lol:

Star !! Cheers
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

McSwede wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:49 pm
240PP wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:46 pm First saw him in Ronin. Not seen a bad performance from him.

Not seen it and never will but can't imagine that being any good. Hopefully JL will come along in a minute and tell me how wrong I am :lol:
Yes, you're wrong.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:24 pm
McSwede wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:49 pm

Yes, you're wrong.
😂😂 Bloody hell. I'm still not watching it!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Me either... it’s on the list
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

McSwede wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:26 pm

Was reminded of this.
XKCD Radiation reference chart
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The podcasts are brilliant - as well as giving great background to the events themselves (as well as explaining that some of those things you thought were invented, were actually facts, often downplayed), they give a lot of info about why they made the decisions they did about plots, sub-plots, characters etc.

We've fallen down the black hole that is a binge rewatching of The Shield. Utterly tremendous and what a finale.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh I watched the first series of One Punch Man the other night and rather enjoyed it.

It's about a super hero who can destroy anyone with one punch. And he's so bored of it that he just does it as a hobby.

It's quite strange but really rather endearing (as well as being technically well done)

Worth a watch if you can find it on the usual streaming outlets.

Seven disappointing opponents out of ten.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

One Punch man is amazing, S2 is out now as well. ONE's other series is good as well, it's called Mob Psycho 100.

If you watch a lot of Anime it's worth getting the Crunchyroll streaming ap, it's not super expensive and saves faffing around trying to find subs and stuff.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

I don't think I watch enough to justify it TBH. I'm generally OK, waiting for dubs or sub'd versions of things to come out.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Beany wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:39 pm The Boys

I enjoyed this. Violent, pretty well paced, Karl Urban is tons of fun (as are all the cast) and it's generally a good, dark laugh in the same vein as Preacher (same showrunners effectively).

Worth a poke.

7 interestingly placed pieces of C4 out of 10.
Yep agreed. 2 episodes in and really enjoying it. Complete antidote to the Marvel/DC domination. It’s proper fucking dark too.

I’ve a little worry that Hughie has undiscovered superpowers and his character will move from angry civilian to Super Nemesis - this would be a shame as Humans taking down Supers is far more interesting.

I genuinely spat my beer when Deep got his cock out for Starlight... :lol: Funniest thing I’ve seen on Telly in ages
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:21 am
Beany wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:39 pm The Boys

I enjoyed this. Violent, pretty well paced, Karl Urban is tons of fun (as are all the cast) and it's generally a good, dark laugh in the same vein as Preacher (same showrunners effectively).

Worth a poke.

7 interestingly placed pieces of C4 out of 10.
Yep agreed. 2 episodes in and really enjoying it. Complete antidote to the Marvel/DC domination. It’s proper fucking dark too.

I’ve a little worry that Hughie has undiscovered superpowers and his character will move from angry civilian to Super Nemesis - this would be a shame as Humans taking down Supers is far more interesting.

I genuinely spat my beer when Deep got his cock out for Starlight... :lol: Funniest thing I’ve seen on Telly in ages
Just finished it, I imagine should any god fearing American watch it they would be boycotting Prime forevermore! Bloody fantastic.

The Deep gillsex thing..... that was... weird.