The Weather Thread.

Swervin_Mervin

Re: The Weather Thread.

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Whaley Bridge now being evacuated as part of the Toddbrook Reservoir spillway has come adrift.

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Jesus! It’s grim ooop north! Wife, daughter and nephew have just been in the outdoor pool to cool down! 😁
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

Always amazes me how benign the weather is in the S.E. generally. There was a little light drizzle in London yesterday whilst some parts of the country look like the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Weather is just perfect right now in London 😎
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

IanF wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:42 pm Jesus! It’s grim ooop north! Wife, daughter and nephew have just been in the outdoor pool to cool down! 😁
This does make it sound like you have a selection of pools at your disposal. I didn't realise that pilots were paid so well! :shock: ;)
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:11 pm Whaley Bridge now being evacuated as part of the Toddbrook Reservoir spillway has come adrift.

Wasn't there another dam up that way that had a spillway collapse in heavy rain/floods a few years back?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:20 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:11 pm Whaley Bridge now being evacuated as part of the Toddbrook Reservoir spillway has come adrift.

Wasn't there another dam up that way that had a spillway collapse in heavy rain/floods a few years back?
Missed this yesterday Jimmy. Not sure tbh. I don't recall one but you may be right.

Be interesting to see what happens with it as there's been some suggestion it may be replaced rather than rebuilt. :shock:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Impressive watching the Chinook dropping the aggregate into place:

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

That is seriously fucking impressive 8-)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

I think they've dumped 400 tonnes or so so far...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Nice clip.

But wtf were they thinking with the background music 🤮
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think I heard those guys were from RAF Odiham, which is just up the road a bit from me. See them flying over all the time.

The precision is so impressive- super low, super accurate.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m surprised that the dam appears to be constructed from concrete slabs just placed on a soil bank!
How about not having a sig at all?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:10 am I’m surprised that the dam appears to be constructed from concrete slabs just placed on a soil bank!
It's Victorian, that's how they built them
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yes, lots of dams are just millions of tons of soil, just like the bit under the spillway is. Obviously the bigger, taller, steeper ones are rock and concrete.

Not quite sure how they'll fix it, obviously they need to rethink how the spillway slabs are anchored to the ground, but other than lift them, excavate and dump concrete under there's probably not a huge amount they can do while it's still acting as a dam. Not easy to just knock it down and start again.

Was surprised they didn't dump some more of the heavier bags along the top of the damaged section so if there was more rain the runoff would miss it.
Cheers, Harry
John

Post by John »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Missed this yesterday Jimmy. Not sure tbh. I don't recall one but you may be right.

Be interesting to see what happens with it as there's been some suggestion it may be replaced rather than rebuilt. :shock:
Ulley Reservoir between Rotherham and Sheffield in the floods of 2007. The m1 was closed which was lots of fun.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11406 ... m-bursting
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:28 am Yes, lots of dams are just millions of tons of soil, just like the bit under the spillway is. Obviously the bigger, taller, steeper ones are rock and concrete.

Not quite sure how they'll fix it, obviously they need to rethink how the spillway slabs are anchored to the ground, but other than lift them, excavate and dump concrete under there's probably not a huge amount they can do while it's still acting as a dam. Not easy to just knock it down and start again.

Was surprised they didn't dump some more of the heavier bags along the top of the damaged section so if there was more rain the runoff would miss it.
One of the engineers at the site was speaking on the news and he said that once it was stable it would have to be drained to make any repairs.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

John wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:40 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Ulley Reservoir between Rotherham and Sheffield in the floods of 2007. The m1 was closed which was lots of fun.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11406 ... m-bursting
That's the one!
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:01 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:28 am Yes, lots of dams are just millions of tons of soil, just like the bit under the spillway is. Obviously the bigger, taller, steeper ones are rock and concrete.

One of the engineers at the site was speaking on the news and he said that once it was stable it would have to be drained to make any repairs.
They're already draining it but the problem is the Goyt is already pretty heavy following the rain. Really they need a good dry spell now to enable them to get it down.

Makes you wonder how many other of these near 200yr old dams are potentially suspect... And there's fecking loads around the west pennines
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Boardmasters being cancelled has mostly been amusing me this morning - the comments on twitter and facebook are fantastic
Me, the wife and kids have flown in from Mars with 4 ounces of space dust to sell to sell to those attending. We were gonna use that money to fly back to our home planet. Now we can’t get back and stuck here on Earth. Cheers boardmasters, son’s crying now, nice one.
:lol: :lol: