Mini-roundabout stand-offs

mik

Mini-roundabout stand-offs

Post by mik »

Seem to be caused by a combo of politeness / incompetence.

I am at my stop line, but I see you are on my right and also at your stop line. Please go ahead.

why thank you, but I see someone just approaching their stop line to my right. Even though they are not yet even at the junction, I shall yield to them

Hmm yes, but it appears they are stopping as I am at my stop line and am on their right. Nobody is moving. After you.

no, after you

<repeat for 5 seconds>

Ooh what a rude man behind honking.
Barry

Re: Mini-roundabout stand-offs

Post by Barry »

The moment I see the other person hesitate due to another arriving on their right, I'm gone. Sod that noise.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Barry wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:26 am The moment I see the other person hesitate due to another arriving on their right, I'm gone. Sod that noise.
this.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:37 am
Barry wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:26 am The moment I see the other person hesitate due to another arriving on their right, I'm gone. Sod that noise.
this.
Yep.

The other roundabout thing I love is when people drive up to a (bigger) roundabout, stop, then look to see if it's clear.

The whole point of a roundabout is to keep the traffic moving, right?
evostick

Post by evostick »

I love the ones that stop, even though it's their right of way, sit there looking at you, you drive off and then they try and drive directly at you all angry like :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:56 am Seem to be caused by a combo of politeness / incompetence.

I am at my stop line, but I see you are on my right and also at your stop line. Please go ahead.

why thank you, but I see someone just approaching their stop line to my right. Even though they are not yet even at the junction, I shall yield to them

Hmm yes, but it appears they are stopping as I am at my stop line and am on their right. Nobody is moving. After you.

no, after you

<repeat for 5 seconds>

Ooh what a rude man behind honking.

You missed the part where everyone goes at the same time.......
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

DaveE wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 am The other roundabout thing I love is when people drive up to a (bigger) roundabout, stop, then look to see if it's clear.
If you learn to drive in Milton Keynes, you're taught to take roundabouts in 3rd...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:06 am
DaveE wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 am The other roundabout thing I love is when people drive up to a (bigger) roundabout, stop, then look to see if it's clear.
If you learn to drive in Milton Keynes, you're taught to take roundabouts in 3rd...
I spent some time living/working in MK a few years back.

All those dual carriageways and roundabouts really helped me improve my heel & toe technique.

And it really showed me that "If you want to go faster, you need better brakes" thing - so often I'd be alongside another car, both driving "enthusiastically" and as we'd get to a roundabout, I'd instantly pull a couple of car lengths as I was heel & toeing, where they'd have to come off the brakes, then change down.

It was a pretty dramatic effect...
mik

Post by mik »

Very much this. Usually this therefore happens when you are #2 in the queue, so you get a great view of their incompetence.
Simon

Post by Simon »

DaveE wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:37 am
this.
Yep.

The other roundabout thing I love is when people drive up to a (bigger) roundabout, stop, then look to see if it's clear.

Not down here. There's a practice by Surrey County Council to put tall fences up the central reservation to deliberately obscure roundabout entrances so that you have to stop as you only get to see properly when you reach the roundabout. Of course it totally breaks up the flow of the road and people still crash anyway so what's the point?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Barry

Post by Barry »

Some of the roundabouts near me can be taken in third, it makes my journey home so much better if I get a clear shot at one of them. One is a heavily cambered one so the front end goes light if you get a really good run at it 😎
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:37 am
DaveE wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:37 am this.
Yep.

Not down here. There's a practice by Surrey County Council to put tall fences up the central reservation to deliberately obscure roundabout entrances so that you have to stop as you only get to see properly when you reach the roundabout. Of course it totally breaks up the flow of the road and people still crash anyway so what's the point?
If they're doing that on all approaches to the roundabout then that does indeed seem daft. However, it's often used on some roundabout approaches to slow a dominant arm of the roundabout and create gaps on the other arms.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Barry wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:49 am
Some of the roundabouts near me can be taken in third, it makes my journey home so much better if I get a clear shot at one of them. One is a heavily cambered one so the front end goes light if you get a really good run at it 😎
Ohhhh there’s one off the A2 leading into Canterbury which is so cambered but small enough that you can almost straight line it - doing 60 and exiting on lane 2 will result in the front going very light in my Mito and the revs increasing for a slight moment :lol:
If I buy a properly light car one day that’s where my body may be found, flung off the crest of roundabout :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Simon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:37 am There's a practice by Surrey County Council to put tall fences up the central reservation to deliberately obscure roundabout entrances so that you have to stop as you only get to see properly when you reach the roundabout. Of course it totally breaks up the flow of the road and people still crash anyway so what's the point?
We're beginning to see a bit of this on some of the larger Roundabouts with a history of accidents. However, in true MK style, they are not obscuring the entrances totally, just enough that you have to slow to 2nd... :lol:

Tyres and brake Pads get a kicking here. I burned out the front pads on my C350 in 7200 miles... :lol: Fuel was a curse too until I got a fuel card... :D

Edit - However, it's often used on some roundabout approaches to slow a dominant arm of the roundabout and create gaps on the other arms.
- this may be more likely actually. The Obscuring (Particularly the one at Kingston) will create Gaps to aid the flow...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't see how the fences create gaps, because they're not holding the traffic for the 3-4 seconds needed to create a gap, they're just slowing people down, but the stream onto the roundabout remains the same..?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:11 am I don't see how the fences create gaps, because they're not holding the traffic for the 3-4 seconds needed to create a gap, they're just slowing people down, but the stream onto the roundabout remains the same..?
You'd be amazed but it's all you need to do to reduce the dominance. Signals is a step further to properly disrupt flow.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They work as they take advantage of shit drivers who don’t plan ahead and can’t multitask - so they come to a complete stop and give other entries a chance.
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

They put traffic lights at Eye roundabout at the end of the Perkins parkway in Peterborough and it made a huge difference. At 16:00 when Perkins used to dump 1000 cars into the area it was hell and you could be queueing for 20 minutes not getting out. Sadly at midnight though it’s an utter pain in the butt.

Dave!