Squeezebox types

DaveE

Squeezebox types

Post by DaveE »

I just ordered the new Raspberry Pi 4 to see if I can use it as a server for my Squeezebox setup (rather than using a NAS).

The 4 is a significant improvement over the 3 - much faster, more RAM, USB 3, true gigabit ethernet, dual HDMI outs, BT 5.0 etc etc

I'll pull the disk out of the NAS and connect it to the Pi using a USB caddy/dock thing - this is may well run at slow I/O than with the same disk mounted in the NAS, but it does give some more flexibility.

Just doing this for fun, if it doesn't work out, I'll continue to use the NAS and can repurpose the Pi as another SB receiver...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Squeezebox types

Post by Jobbo »

I've been meaning to switch my Squeezebox server from my 2012 Mac Mini to my Synology Diskstation since I got the NAS, but I never got round to it and the NAS won't be as fast as the Mac, I'd imagine. Having a dedicated server based on the Pi seems a good idea.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Depending on what the NAS is like, the performance may be better than with your MacMini.

The SB software on a NAS is pretty lightweight, and NAS devices are designed for lots of disk use and I/O.

My 6-7 year old QNAP 259 Pro+ does just fine with SB and a 7TB, 130k FLAC library. It takes about 5-6 mins to re-scan the library (incremental), quite a bit longer for the initial scan though.

I've just seen that the Pi has been shipped, not sure if it'll be here over the weekend, but I'll report back when I've had a go with it.

(I think setting up the Pi as a server is pretty much just copying some files onto the microSD card and tweaking some settings in a config file/web UI - much simpler than some NAS install/updates)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've still got a classic Squeezebox looking for a good home if someone is interested. Power supply and remote included.

Has a couple of scratches on the front, but in full working order.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I have Spotify.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:23 pmI have Spotify.
Same. Just noticed that I have no songs at all on my phone!
Guess it must have not copied over when I switched my phone but I never noticed it as I just don’t bother using anything but Spotify now.
How about not having a sig at all?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Why? Dave's setup sounds far more convenient :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

DaveE wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:11 pm I'll pull the disk out of the NAS and connect it to the Pi using a USB caddy/dock thing - this is may well run at slow I/O than with the same disk mounted in the NAS, but it does give some more flexibility.
It's true USB3 (IE it can laugh at a spinning HDD transfer speed) so I'd not expect any major problems.

I'm thinking RPi 4 to replace my router with a fancy pants platform, just waiting for someone to get a router OS installed on it and show performance figures.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

It turns out the software I was planning on using (PiCorePlayer) isn't yet compatible with the RPi4

I've been using for a while now as a receiver on an older Pi and it's worked really well.

Super-simple to set up and it's been totally reliable.

I guess I have to be patient for them to update it...
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Again I just swear there are easier, more user-friendly and modern ways to do this :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

I was just about to ask why vs spotify? Genuine question :?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:25 pm
Dave has been using a Squeezebox for years (as have I). I signed up to Spotify when it launched but never really liked the interface, and I already had all my stuff on a server, playing through devices which didn't run Spotify. I imagine Dave's pretty much the same, with more obscure stuff in his music collection :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:07 pm Again I just swear there are easier, more user-friendly and modern ways to do this :lol:
To be fair, quite a lot of RPi services seem to have been caught off guard by the release of the RPi 4 - no-one was really expecting it till mid 2020 and it was only high level reviewers/package maintainers who really got early access.

Give it a month and I'd expect most stuff to be ported to it.

There are easier ways of achieving such things, but then that isn't always the point, is it? ;)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Right there is why most people get married instead of hooking up with a prostitute.
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:46 pm
mik wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:25 pm
Dave has been using a Squeezebox for years (as have I). I signed up to Spotify when it launched but never really liked the interface, and I already had all my stuff on a server, playing through devices which didn't run Spotify. I imagine Dave's pretty much the same, with more obscure stuff in his music collection :D
Very similar...

Just checked and I got my first Squeezebox system back in 2008.

I've always bought tons of music (since the mid 80s) and still do. Back then there was no such thing as streaming, so I needed something that could store and manage my music and allow me to play it on my hifi, without having to rummage through (literally) 1000s of CDs.

I "discover" music from various sources and buy from various places (mainly lots of second hand CDs from Amazon, things from Bandcamp, obscure CDs from eBay and record fairs etc).

So I rip lots and lots of CDs to both FLAC (for home) and MP3, which I transfer onto my phone.

I also listen to lots of compilation CDs and streaming services tend to not do too well here.

I'd guess about 10-20% of my music is probably on Spotify, but I like to buy and own it - it's irrational, but the urge to own, to complete a series etc is very strong - my worst nightmare is hearing "Vol 17" of a series I've never heard before and really liking it - I know I'll have to get the previous 16 volumes too!

Plus a Pi3 + the DAC and case was about £50, and bingo, I've got another receiver for another room - a little cheaper than Sonos - and SB handles my c6TB/130k track library just fine.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Beany wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:03 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:07 pm Again I just swear there are easier, more user-friendly and modern ways to do this :lol:
To be fair, quite a lot of RPi services seem to have been caught off guard by the release of the RPi 4 - no-one was really expecting it till mid 2020 and it was only high level reviewers/package maintainers who really got early access.

Give it a month and I'd expect most stuff to be ported to it.

There are easier ways of achieving such things, but then that isn't always the point, is it? ;)
If the end result is the same, it's absolutely and always the point :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Streaming music you already own rather than using an online subscription service isn’t particularly out there as a concept anyway...
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

No of course not, I do it all the time. Using my receiver and an app on my phone :D
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Isn't this the same as saying "Why don't you just use Netflix?" to someone with a massive movie collection, most of which isn't on Netflix?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DaveE wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:21 pm Isn't this the same as saying "Why don't you just use Netflix?" to someone with a massive movie collection, most of which isn't on Netflix?
Not really, Netflix is just an online channel with programmes being added and removed over a set timescale.