Green Laning report

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: Green Laning report

Post by JonMad »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:59 pm
Looking at the comments got me wondering what a snatch block was. I hesitantly googled it, and learned this https://www.safetyliftingear.com/news/p ... atch-block
Left over crest; tightens.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:24 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:32 pm I was busy this weekend doing a blacksmithing course
This isn’t what I thought he meant when he said that his imminent divorce meant he’d be bashing one out a lot.
:lol:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s really not that hard.

Strip, strap, tow rope etc means you do a pull on a tensioned line.

A kinetic strap means you use momentum on a stretchy strap or rope.

If you are on a different part of ground with no grip problems then use a tensioned line so a lifting strip etc.

If trip is an issue or you are super stuck, then use a kinetic rope/ strap and some momentum. Either by leaving slack, accelerating and keeping your foot in till grip is lost. Or accelerating till you feel you are about to come to a dead stop and jump on the brakes, the rope/ strap will then keep the force on and hopefully pull it out.

I have an 11 ton kinetic rope and it didn’t budge a D3 a single inch when it was axle deep. Yep t took 3 vehicles in the end.

The new fabric shackles are very appealing and extra safe too.

Dave!
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

mik wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:19 pm Iron Man training....
More like Jimmy Nail.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Matty wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:31 pm
mik wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:19 pm Iron Man training....
More like Jimmy Nail.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
_andy

Post by _andy »

JonMad wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:21 am
Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:59 pm
Looking at the comments got me wondering what a snatch block was. I hesitantly googled it, and learned this https://www.safetyliftingear.com/news/p ... atch-block
What a bunch of fucking retards. I don't offroad but that strap snapping was in the post from the start. :roll:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Went out again on Saturday, on my own because I had a few hours spare at short notice (i.e. I didn't fancy mowing the lawn that day as I'd intended).

No full report this time, just a few snippets and photos.

It's amazing how what looks like one continuous lane on a map can be two really quite different character lanes in reality. For example:
I drove this (the green dots) from NE to SW and it starts as a muddy climb up a bank through trees, becomes a wide path then a narrow grassy, barely footpath-width section between scratchy bushes and a fence. Then you cross a road, open a gate and drive alongside a field then through another gate into a meadow, before the final dog-leg which is a tarmac road to a quarry. Here's the meadow:

Also encountered on this trip:
- a muddy field with ridiculous ruts that I reversed out of before I got stuck, and bypassed
- some serious foliage encroachment
- a private house with CCTV pointing straight at you as you drive towards it, but this is just to dissuade people from using the public right of way
- some nice steep descents and climbs, and a muddy watersplash
- an electric fence!

Great fun again. I don't think there's any real need to get different tyres until winter. I did have to remove quite a bit of foliage from underneath after the meadow.
Last edited by Jobbo on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

It looks like you benefit from having a gate operating friend...
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Looks fun :D
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:14 pm It looks like you benefit from having a gate operating friend...
Definitely - and there are plenty of lanes down round Stroud I want to try. Will have to fix a date imminently.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:07 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:14 pm It looks like you benefit from having a gate operating friend...
Definitely - and there are plenty of lanes down round Stroud I want to try. Will have to fix a date imminently.
Give us a shout if you do :)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Fancy building a Vitara collection now that you cornered the market in Tacumas ?

Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Have the pangs for a more capable car started yet? It’s a slippery slope whether you modify or change the car.

If you’re looking to change the tyres I can recommend Insa Turbos or Mud Terrains as something suitably aggressive which are for a dedicated off road toy ;)
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I don’t think I’ve particularly tested the car yet. And anything more ‘capable’ is bigger so would get more scratched or not fit. So no 😃
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

With what you're doing, how much of a necessity would you say the 4wd is?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Absolutely necessary. If you’d get through in a 2wd car it’d be with more damage to the ground from wheel slip etc.

The main time it’s been necessary is on rutted bits, rather than slippery surfaces. Thus far anyway; the ground is pretty dry.

Let’s see if Jimmy and Evostick can get it stuck next weekend 😄
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

This looks like an absolute blast and I genuinely never knew it was even a thing. Top way to spend the weekend!
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:20 pm This looks like an absolute blast and I genuinely never knew it was even a thing. Top way to spend the weekend!
It's harder to organise up here as you need land owner permission to use the lanes, there are clubs that do it though.
An absolute unit
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 pm I don’t think I’ve particularly tested the car yet. And anything more ‘capable’ is bigger so would get more scratched or not fit. So no 😃
Excellent! It’s also seemingly a one way trip onto constant tinkering a breaking down. If you find yourself wading when the weather improves I can highly recommend raising the axle and gearbox breathers; it’s not a modification, it just prevents water entering the drive line and causing issues.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’ve read about that - it’s something I’d never even heard of until recently.

Wading is not something I’m yet planning to do, but Strata Florida probably requires it so maybe in the future...