Bye bye Theresa

mik

Re: Bye bye Theresa

Post by mik »

I get quizzed on it regularly when in meetings in Europeland.

BoZo brings a whole new level though. :(
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Round 3: BoJo, Gove then Hunt. Javid out.
Cheers,

Ian
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Round4: BoJo, Hunt - Gove out.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

We're so screwed it is unreal. It is like having to choose between plague or cholera. Not that we get a choice.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

A colleague outed themselves this week as a rabid brexiteer and BoJo supporter. I’m quite glad I’m leaving that job soon.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 pm A colleague outed themselves this week as a rabid brexiteer and BoJo supporter. I’m quite glad I’m leaving that job soon.
I just don’t understand it and never will. Humans baffle me.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:43 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 pm A colleague outed themselves this week as a rabid brexiteer and BoJo supporter. I’m quite glad I’m leaving that job soon.
It's difficult when the current system works for you personally to look outside of it and think what if? It works for me as well, but via some friends and elements of family I can see why some would want a change, even if that change could be highly disruptive. I can empathise with them on that.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:28 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:43 pm
It's difficult when the current system works for you personally to look outside of it and think what if? It works for me as well, but via some friends and elements of family I can see why some would want a change, even if that change could be highly disruptive. I can empathise with them on that.
Nearly all the change that people think they'll get, though, is nothing to do with the EU, or won't happen anyway. For example, look for those that think we'll suddenly go back to imperial measures.

I get that there was an element of protest vote and just shaking things up, but when people look at the likes of BoJo or Trump, I don't understand how they can come to the conclusion that these are competent people who have their best interests at heart.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

I think it's more that they're looking at them thinking 'they hate the same people I do'.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and all that.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I get that there was an element of protest vote
I forget who it was (a comedian I think) that you should never use a vote as an "anger management tool" - this is so true.

The idea of voting someone else, regardless of policies etc simply to "punish" another candidate seems daft.

It means millions of people effectively vote for things they may not understand/know about, or even agree with, simply out of anger, rather than an informed choice/change in political position etc.

Brexit highlights this in places like Bridgend that voted for Brexit (55-45% I think), and because of Brexit, the Ford plant there is closing, which will cause immense damage and hardship - and there won't be any EU subsidies to help them out.

Same in some rural areas that depend on EU subsidies, and yet people voted to leave - cutting their noses off to smite their faces?

People were lied to and promised something that they simply couldn't/won't get.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Beany wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:46 am I think it's more that they're looking at them thinking 'they hate the same people I do'.

Also an element of people waking up to the MSM BS and seeing that they dislike these people as they don't tow the PC line so actively smear them at every opportunity.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:17 am
Beany wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:46 am I think it's more that they're looking at them thinking 'they hate the same people I do'.

Also an element of people waking up to the MSM BS and seeing that they dislike these people as they don't tow the PC line so actively smear them at every opportunity.
<raises red flag>
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DaveE wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:15 am

Brexit highlights this in places like Bridgend that voted for Brexit (55-45% I think), and because of Brexit, the Ford plant there is closing, which will cause immense damage and hardship - and there won't be any EU subsidies to help them out.

"Ford blamed the closure on the imminent end to a contract for engine production for Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) as well as a global decline in demand for the Ford engines made in Bridgend."
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:36 am

"Ford blamed the closure on the imminent end to a contract for engine production for Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) as well as a global decline in demand for the Ford engines made in Bridgend."
Fair enough
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

The engine plant there makes the Zetec engine which is now pretty ancient and been largely replaced by the Ecoboost and Duratec which are already made elsewhere at high enough volumes. They have also been contracted to make V8 engines for JLR who now longer need them (probably because they are owned by Tata now and not Ford and produce enough engines on their own).
As with most of the other car makers as they are all having to look at electric vehicles and development of that technology due to climate change reasons. The engines are just not needed anymore as the times are changing and they just don't need them. Re-tooling a factory to make the new generations of engines when they produce enough volume elsewhere is not economically sensible. So it's just cheaper to use the other european plants they have to make the current crop of engines as labour is probably cheaper.
With motor and battery tech they will probably just buy in from already established makers and become SI's at a vehicular level until they feel they can produce in their own right (if at all).
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:35 am

<raises red flag>
With a Hammer and Sickle?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:51 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:35 am

<raises red flag>
With a Hammer and Sickle?
:roll:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Maybe if they checked their voting records they'd realise that perhaps they're viewed with disdain by the mainstream media because they're basically shit bond villains.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Beany wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:53 am

Maybe if they checked their voting records they'd realise that perhaps they're viewed with disdain by the mainstream media because they're basically shit bond villains.
I'm not saying they are honest, but the media are very culpable in all of this. In the US for nigh on 2 years CNN and MSNBC pushed the Russian collusion narrative which turned into nothing, they have both lost massive amounts of viewers for this. BBC and CH4 were also part of this but to a lesser degree. CH4 interviewed an American bi sexual woman this week who was attacked by a teenage gang on a bus in a hate attack. They led her into rabbit hole where not knowing Boris she condemned his candidacy. When although he has made casual remarks in the past he is quite progressive according to a LGBT news website https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/06/18/b ... al-stance/ .
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

If you think the Russian collusion stuff has come to nothing, you've seriously misunderstood what's happening :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag