Internal IT

NotoriousREV

Re: Internal IT

Post by NotoriousREV »

unzippy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 am Facilities - Dave, should we move into this new office, despite Telstra not connecting it to the corporate network yet?

Me - No.

Facilities - We are moving anyway, can you put in a temporary solution for 160 people.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm currently on at least Plan F, what fukcing ball ache. And obviously it's all ITs fault.
3G dongle. Done.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:17 pm
unzippy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 am Facilities - Dave, should we move into this new office, despite Telstra not connecting it to the corporate network yet?

Me - No.

Facilities - We are moving anyway, can you put in a temporary solution for 160 people.

I'm currently on at least Plan F, what fukcing ball ache. And obviously it's all ITs fault.
3G dongle. Done.
Or 4G router, etc, and make sure the data usage bill goes to the facilities team for forcing your hand.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Me - No.

3G dongle. Done.
Or 4G router, etc, and make sure the data usage bill goes to the facilities team for forcing your hand.
:woosh_parrot:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Jesus wept - even I got that one!! And I leave IT to the inadequates :D
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:11 pm Jesus wept - even I got that one!! And I leave IT to the inadequates :D
It worries me that Beany appears to think I was pitching that as an actual solution.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:28 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:11 pm Jesus wept - even I got that one!! And I leave IT to the inadequates :D
It worries me that Beany appears to think I was pitching that as an actual solution.
I've seen that exact solution done by a very large UK bank who leased some floors in a building and didn't bother engaging with anybody as "there were phones on the desks" so just thought everything would work.

On day one they bought one per floor. On day two, another one. Etc.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:28 pm
I was thinking more about the facilities manager trying to justify the massive bill to finance.

One real solution is to go above facilities and explain to people with actual influence that moving people into office space that lack vital utilities is completely barking and a waste of 160 people till it gets sorted, which is a very real amount of time/money.

Or, you know, go work somewhere that doesn't just ignore the quite, quite valid concerns of their operational staff.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Me - No.

3G dongle. Done.
Plan A was a cabled floor.
B was bunch of 4G hotspots scattered around the floor. We took in a few to test 3 weeks before the move and ran all our tests. All good so ordered more and then rocked up Weds before the move to install and configure. Telstra signal has disappeared! What was 50Mbps + was now 2. Down to 7/11 to buy one of every SIM to see who performed best. Optus were good, clocking over 60Mbps. Except we are not an Optus corp customer. Bought a load of PAYG SIMS with as much data as I could.

Facilities - Dave, should we still move into this new office, despite Telstra not connecting it to the corporate network yet and Plan B not working?

Me - No.

I now have 8 home broadband plans in my name :lol: :roll: My boss another 6 and a Facilities dude another 8.

Facilities are stumping the bill for all of this and the overtime my lot are generating, but it's still perceived as an IT issue/fault...
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

unzippy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:11 am

Me - No.

3G dongle. Done.
Plan A was a cabled floor.
B was bunch of 4G hotspots scattered around the floor. We took in a few to test 3 weeks before the move and ran all our tests. All good so ordered more and then rocked up Weds before the move to install and configure. Telstra signal has disappeared! What was 50Mbps + was now 2. Down to 7/11 to buy one of every SIM to see who performed best. Optus were good, clocking over 60Mbps. Except we are not an Optus corp customer. Bought a load of PAYG SIMS with as much data as I could.

Facilities - Dave, should we still move into this new office, despite Telstra not connecting it to the corporate network yet and Plan B not working?

Me - No.

I now have 8 home broadband plans in my name :lol: :roll: My boss another 6 and a Facilities dude another 8.

Facilities are stumping the bill for all of this and the overtime my lot are generating, but it's still perceived as an IT issue/fault...
It is totally IT's fault. You didn't magically anticipate having connectivity set up in a building you didn't know you had an office in.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

When we moved into our new building last year, they handed the server room over to us 6 weeks late. The move date was set in stone. We ended up having to throw the network in, then spend 3 months post-move reconfiguring it to how we wanted without bringing the whole thing down.

Then there was the small matter of the lights being specced with a Bluetooth transmitter in every single light unit all spewing out radio at 2.4Ghz and people complaining about WiFi coverage...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I do office fit outs for a living - this sort of problem usually originates from a new facilities manager who thinks they know everything because they’ve done a project management course, so ignores any advice.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:37 am I do office fit outs for a living - this sort of problem usually originates from a new facilities manager who thinks they know everything because they’ve done a project management course, so ignores any advice.
In our case it was our CTO (at the time) running the project who thought he didn’t need to ask us about technical stuff.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

I may well be missing the obvious here, but why do the lights need Bluetooth?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jackleg wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:17 am I may well be missing the obvious here, but why do the lights need Bluetooth?
They’re controlled by an app so each team in the open plan office could control the lights without having to put light switches somewhere (difficult with no walls). You could set up “scenes” within an area (colour, brightness, etc at different times of day) and they’d change brightness based on ambient light conditions etc. They were actually pretty cool. When me and the actual tech team looked into it properly, it turned out you only needed one Bluetooth controller per group of lights, not for each individual light unit so we disconnected 80% of them. Could’ve saved a few grand if we’d been consulted earlier.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Our place has ground to a halt as the pc which handles our stock control and palletisation system is running windows 2008 did 100+ updates at 4am this morning and won't connect to anything :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:45 am
Jackleg wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:17 am I may well be missing the obvious here, but why do the lights need Bluetooth?
They’re controlled by an app so each team in the open plan office could control the lights without having to put light switches somewhere (difficult with no walls). You could set up “scenes” within an area (colour, brightness, etc at different times of day) and they’d change brightness based on ambient light conditions etc. They were actually pretty cool. When me and the actual tech team looked into it properly, it turned out you only needed one Bluetooth controller per group of lights, not for each individual light unit so we disconnected 80% of them. Could’ve saved a few grand if we’d been consulted earlier.
I didn't even know that any of this was even possible. Looks like I'm living in the dark ages :lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I see what you did there 8-)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I've been reporting on software asset use. We have Flexera here. On Tuesday morning I couldn't log into the portal.

It turns out the licence had not been renewed.

Yep, the software licence for the software licence management software that we use to manage the software licences had not been managed. FFS :cry:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

When I worked at Barclays, they were in dispute with IBM over licensing. For the products I was responsible for, they’d discovered we were £20+M under licensed (from before I started). Barclays disputed it so IBM came in with their own tool to do an audit. The tool couldn’t differentiate between the licensable product and the free version that came with tools rolled out to pretty much every desktop and laptop in the tech department. I think they were on month 18 of their audit when I left.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 am I've been reporting on software asset use. We have Flexera here. On Tuesday morning I couldn't log into the portal.

It turns out the licence had not been renewed.

Yep, the software licence for the software licence management software that we use to manage the software licences had not been managed. FFS :cry:
Genius :)

Ship shipping ship etc