Internal IT

Simon

Re: Internal IT

Post by Simon »

My laptop has a big problem connecting to the corporate VPN after being hibernated for more than an hour or so. It literally takes 5-10 minutes and all DNS requests for the whole machine during the connection process fail whilst it's trying to connect.

I opened a chat with our corporate global service desk with this problem and they remote controlled my machine to experience it. After 5-10 minutes the machine connected to the VPN, after which point they said 'look, it's working'. 'Yes, but you see it takes 5-10 minutes EVERY TIME to connect and all other DNS requests fail during that time'.

They replied 'Yeah, but it's connected now so it's fixed' and closed the ticked as complete.

The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I have to ask - did the IT person pronounce w's as v's, and end sentences with "isn't it"?

I.......I gots to know.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I have no idea. It was an online chat (but still internal).

<goes to check ticket>

Nope, it wasn't.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Thank you Mr Sir Simon for reverting on the needful after the making of checkings just then itself isn't it. Vhat.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:01 am First day in new role (but same company) and my access has been disabled. But apparently it is only 24h until the system has sync'd so I can work again... Nobody seems to be able to hurry it along.

FFS.
Sounds like an HR issue to me...

Remember, IT only do what HR tell them.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

We have two people from an outsourced IT services supplier onsite at the moment building a number of servers. They’ve been tasked and paid to do the lot. Trouble is they’re lazy bastards who think some things are beneath them so they’re sending me (the fucking customer) emails like this one most days.

“As discussed we need your support to unpack HDD drives so that I can installed the same on servers. I removed 3 disks but I got small cut on my finger since I am not expert in the same. Please provide your support on the same.”
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The warning sirens are howling right now.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

unzippy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:49 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:01 am First day in new role (but same company) and my access has been disabled. But apparently it is only 24h until the system has sync'd so I can work again... Nobody seems to be able to hurry it along.

FFS.
Sounds like an HR issue to me...

Remember, IT only do what HR tell them.
That's right. Unfortunately that only came to light after we'd been sent down the wrong path by IT.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:58 am The warning sirens are howling right now.
Whenever I read one of your posts this song is playing in my mind... ;)

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

It's not even racism mate, I just think / know they're cunts from experience :lol: - no prejudice here! 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

What is the purpose of the puppets in that clip? Confusing. :?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Our IT help has been outsourced to IBM in India - I don’t bother raising tickets for software issues. It’s not worth the hassle and annoyance of explaining an issue to them. They won’t understand.

For any hardware issues I just lie. Every time - it went bang, now won’t turn on. Regardless of the issue. Obviously they still always ask for the IP address of the hardware though “I need the IP address to raise this ticket”

Me “How can I do that”

IBM “We need the IP address. To do this...”

Me “The machine doesn’t actually turn on though”

INM “We need the IP address to raise the ticket”

This goes on for a few rounds, eventually followed by them magically raising the ticket without the IP address

No common sense
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Richard wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:37 am Our IT help has been outsourced to IBM in India - I don’t bother raising tickets for software issues. It’s not worth the hassle and annoyance of explaining an issue to them. They won’t understand.

For any hardware issues I just lie. Every time - it went bang, now won’t turn on. Regardless of the issue. Obviously they still always ask for the IP address of the hardware though “I need the IP address to raise this ticket”

Me “How can I do that”

IBM “We need the IP address. To do this...”

Me “The machine doesn’t actually turn on though”

INM “We need the IP address to raise the ticket”

This goes on for a few rounds, eventually followed by them magically raising the ticket without the IP address

No common sense
More likely reading a script with no option to deviate.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Nearly three weeks in and I've lost access to all our online training because somewhere between our HR system and the training provider it gets the wrong data, meaning it won't let me log in.

They've been "working on it" for over a week now. Rather frustrating.
---
Barry

Post by Barry »

I raised a ticket in the week to get an XB1 test kit setup up on a shelf behind my desk (the desk pod networking comes down the central spine, not via wall conduit) and they sent the ticket to the Facilities manager instead. Why they decided it was his job to locate some RJ45 cable and route it is beyond me. He came up, scratched his head and when I asked him could we just run it round the wall from a spare cable at my desk he just agreed. We found a cable ourselves and up and running in minutes.

Two specific departments tasked, and we did everything ourselves in the end. WTaF.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’ve got admin rights on my laptop so I can by-pass IT as much as possible.

“Can you tell me your computers ID please?”

“No, because the screen doesn’t work”

“Can you chat me the number please?”

“How do I do that when the screen doesn’t work?”
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I look back on my days starting out in IT support with much fondness. In many ways it was a great apprenticeship for everything which came after. Great day rates and a fantastic laugh as well as getting stuck in to all sorts of faults, looking after 1st to 3rd level for anything and everything. unfortunately that all seems to have changed, as has when you could just sling a couple of routers in the back of the car and pop over to a data centre to install them yourself, during the day.
Cheers,

Mike.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Orange Cola wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:21 pm
“Can you chat me the number please?”
<Shudder>

It obviously works both ways - there's plenty of idiotic IT support technicians, but then there's also tons of users who are complete fucktards too.

Guess it reflects every walk of life - fucktards everywhere...
Oui, je suis un motard.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Facilities - Dave, should we move into this new office, despite Telstra not connecting it to the corporate network yet?

Me - No.

Facilities - We are moving anyway, can you put in a temporary solution for 160 people.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm currently on at least Plan F, what fukcing ball ache. And obviously it's all ITs fault.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ask next door if you can borrow their WiFi for a bit?
---