VR in 2019

mik

Re: VR in 2019

Post by mik »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 pm
V8Granite wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:28 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm I like playing games, but I'm not sure I want to be so completely immersed that I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the world immediately around me.
It’s one step away from a world of teenagers furiously doing naughty things to robots and never stepping outside.

Dave!
There was a thing in the paper saying we'll all be having threesomes with sexbots within 10 years :lol:
As their sex-slaves? :o
Richard

Post by Richard »

I can’t see VR taking off any time soon

It’s obviously better than it’s ever been, but even the easily accessible stuff like PS4VR has been a flop

There’s not enough must-have games, so not enough people buy one. Then not enough people use it, so developers don’t bother. And spiral

Also, I think it’s a bit weird to be sat in the living room, with your headset on, ignoring anyone else in the house. When I’m gaming at home, on a normal PS4, on a normal TV, Bryony can join in a bit, “look out for those guys” etc. That’s not really possible with VR

I guess people have said similar about upcoming new tech forever?

Maybe the next big generation jump for VR will be the one?

Currently though, I expect the majority of headsets are currently sitting unused, getting quite dusty
mik

Post by mik »

Went here with eldest miklet.

ScottA has been there 2 (3?) Times previously and spoke highly - it was fab. 8-)

Great premises and setup.

First time so did 2x 20minute sprints with the aim of fastest lap. First session in Ginetta G4s at Donno. 2nd session balls oot in 900bhp Nissan GTP ZX Turbo around sone fictional Scottish road track. Lots of downforce, and bloody fast.

Highly immersive. Enjoyment. Will return to do a proper race with some others..... 8-)

I have pre-booked 2 rigs fir my lottery-win man-cave, but may install 4. If I have the space like? :?
dan

Post by dan »

I like mine so much I bought another, the oculus S.

So my rift CV1 is for sale, £200 CASH.

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Just to tag on to this, if anyone wants to buy a barely-used HTC Vive, let me know.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Summer, perfect time to sell a head heater.

Would love to buy either but SWMBO would kill me.

A lot.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just read that No Man’s Sky has had a massive update and now has VR. Haven’t played it since it was first released but it’s a completely different game now supposedly. Always thought it was very pretty, will spend some time later this week just wondering the universe in VR probably.
Also kudos to the devs for still working on it!
How about not having a sig at all?
Matty

Post by Matty »

Also, Dirt 2.0 has VR support now....

....as long as you've got a £3000 PC :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hmm it’s sweaty enough for me without VR, don’t think I’d enjoy it much. I never play it as with the original as it requires too much concentration and focus whereas I game to relax more.
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:57 pm Just read that No Man’s Sky has had a massive update and now has VR. Haven’t played it since it was first released but it’s a completely different game now supposedly. Always thought it was very pretty, will spend some time later this week just wondering the universe in VR probably.
Also kudos to the devs for still working on it!
I've also heard lots of good stuff about NMS, Elite:Dangerous isn't getting a big update until late 2020 so NMS could be a nice fill in.

On a completely opposite note I've spend the last month trying to beat FTL, a space 2D roguelike that I got for £1.74, it's old school hard.
Matty

Post by Matty »

NMS is currently having serious performance issues too. This is the problem with games that aren't designed with VR in mind, they do tend to struggle with performance.

And FTL is fucking awesome. Absolutely love that little game, spent hours and hours. Did manage to eventually complete it on the easy difficulty! A lot of luck involved usually.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Talking of VR, this is everything thats great about the tech. When he start slapping that bloke around the face :lol: then winds down the window after the crash :lol: I'm a massive child so stuff like this tickles me.

ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

I've been using the Rift again with ETS2. But even with new drivers for the GTX1070, it's crashing quite a bit. It may be because of the mods I've got installed, although Windows claims there is ample memory (24GB in total). Assetto Corsa playing up a little, too. Going to try ATS and see if that behaves. Or is the Rift just shite now?
dan

Post by dan »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:50 pm I've been using the Rift again with ETS2. But even with new drivers for the GTX1070, it's crashing quite a bit. It may be because of the mods I've got installed, although Windows claims there is ample memory (24GB in total). Assetto Corsa playing up a little, too. Going to try ATS and see if that behaves. Or is the Rift just shite now?
Sounds like a software or driver issue, my 3 year old machine with 16gb has no issues.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

dan wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:34 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:50 pm I've been using the Rift again with ETS2. But even with new drivers for the GTX1070, it's crashing quite a bit. It may be because of the mods I've got installed, although Windows claims there is ample memory (24GB in total). Assetto Corsa playing up a little, too. Going to try ATS and see if that behaves. Or is the Rift just shite now?
Sounds like a software or driver issue, my 3 year old machine with 16gb has no issues.
Yeah definitely. Last night it did it with ETS2, ATS and Assetto Corsa. I don't think it's the Rift itself since sometimes it happens as soon as the game starts, other times 20 minutes in. Will continue digging.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Rumour all over the gaming sites.
HL3* to be VR exclusive release in 2020.

*Half Life: Alyx may be the title so who knows what that'll mean for wrapping up the story. Will it end as per the leaked script? Will it just be a tech demo?
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

That reminds me, on my previous Rift post - Depth Of Field, turning it off - has helped enormously. ATS and ETS2 don't crash at all now, and in fact since 1.36 and DirectX 11 on ATS the image quality is now superb. ETS2 still a little 'rubber band-like' every now and again but given it's far more resource intensive apparently, I can live with it.

Haven't done anything to AC though and it now runs fine too, so perhaps a driver update buried in the background somewhere.
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:52 pm Rumour all over the gaming sites.
HL3* to be VR exclusive release in 2020.

*Half Life: Alyx may be the title so who knows what that'll mean for wrapping up the story. Will it end as per the leaked script? Will it just be a tech demo?
It'll be a tech demo that will offer eight minutes entertainment then be dull as fuck.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Pcs just do that sometimes :lol:

Despite me enthusing how pcs generally 'just work' these days and upgrades and getting games to run properly is almost console like in its easy, they do sometimes mess you about to keep you on your toes.

I remember at some point last year something broke forza so it was a stutter you unplayable mess at about 15fps with huge stutters at random. A week or so later everything was fine and has been ever since.
Cheers, Harry