New iPhones

GG.

Re: New iPhones

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:09 pm The one thing I thought I was going to dislike was the lack of a home button but it's uncanny how easily you adapt within moments and don't miss it. Face ID has been seamless too.
It's good isn't it. I thought the FaceID would be annoying but it isn't. BTW if you have trouble with it unlocking when you're wearing sunglasses (as I recently did on holiday) you can turn off the "requires attention" setting which should make it work again.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The one annoyance I have with my XR is that I keep turning the torch on when I'm taking it out of my pocket. SOmetimes I don't notice until my phone is back in my pocket and warming up my leg :lol:.

Other than that, it's a great phone.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:09 pm I swapped my iPhone 7 for an XS today. I had been pondering an XR but in the flesh it was just a bit bigger than I wanted, and the XS screen being OLED is noticeably nicer. The Apple store price-matched Argos on the XS (saving £150) and Apple are doing enhanced trade-ins currently so I got £245 for the old phone, around £50 more than I'd get elsewhere.

The one thing I thought I was going to dislike was the lack of a home button but it's uncanny how easily you adapt within moments and don't miss it. Face ID has been seamless too. Setting up has been easy enough; I decided not to restore from previous backups because they originate from my first iPhone, 11 years ago, and I fancied a fresh start. Just logging in with Apple ID brought up all my passwords and I simply downloaded the apps I wanted rather than everything which had accumulated over the years. Easy.
try the Apple Pay set up - it’s far nicer than the finger scan option...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I thought I liked the old fingerprint Apple Pay but I can't remember when I last used it. Will be interesting to see if I end up shunning it with Face ID too. I rarely pay more than £30 in one transaction so just use my card.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:09 pm I swapped my iPhone 7 for an XS today. I had been pondering an XR but in the flesh it was just a bit bigger than I wanted, and the XS screen being OLED is noticeably nicer. The Apple store price-matched Argos on the XS (saving £150) and Apple are doing enhanced trade-ins currently so I got £245 for the old phone, around £50 more than I'd get elsewhere.

The one thing I thought I was going to dislike was the lack of a home button but it's uncanny how easily you adapt within moments and don't miss it. Face ID has been seamless too. Setting up has been easy enough; I decided not to restore from previous backups because they originate from my first iPhone, 11 years ago, and I fancied a fresh start. Just logging in with Apple ID brought up all my passwords and I simply downloaded the apps I wanted rather than everything which had accumulated over the years. Easy.
Would you mind sharing what the storage was on your 7 and your cost-to-change?

The earpiece amp in the wife's 7 is dying and I'm wondering if its just simpler to buy her a new phone...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Richard

Post by Richard »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:23 pm The one annoyance I have with my XR is that I keep turning the torch on when I'm taking it out of my pocket. SOmetimes I don't notice until my phone is back in my pocket and warming up my leg :lol:.
Same

Not sure how it keeps happening, especially I don’t find my camera in in my pocket (which is the other lockscreen shortcut button)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:56 pm Would you mind sharing what the storage was on your 7 and your cost-to-change?

The earpiece amp in the wife's 7 is dying and I'm wondering if its just simpler to buy her a new phone...
It was a 256GB 7, and it’s a 256GB XS. Cost to change was £759.

It was a bit decadent really but the 7 cost me £680 in Sept 2017 so it’s depreciated about £21 per month. They were going to fix the earpiece for free on the 7 so if you don’t fancy spending, it’s easy enough to get fixed.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:25 pm
Simon wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:56 pm Would you mind sharing what the storage was on your 7 and your cost-to-change?

It was a 256GB 7, and it’s a 256GB XS. Cost to change was £759.

It was a bit decadent really but the 7 cost me £680 in Sept 2017 so it’s depreciated about £21 per month. They were going to fix the earpiece for free on the 7 so if you don’t fancy spending, it’s easy enough to get fixed.
Crikey, thanks for that. Even with a trade-in that's a fair chunk.

So was your earpiece on its way out too?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Richard wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:07 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:23 pm The one annoyance I have with my XR is that I keep turning the torch on when I'm taking it out of my pocket. SOmetimes I don't notice until my phone is back in my pocket and warming up my leg :lol:.
Same

Not sure how it keeps happening, especially I don’t find my camera in in my pocket (which is the other lockscreen shortcut button)
Have you been googling or having conversations about torches?
Simon

Post by Simon »

:D
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Yeah, my earpiece had been muffled for a while. I thought it was just people mumbling before realising it was every call. I spotted you mention the same thing.

Yeah, it’s a grand before trade-in but that’s discounted by £150. I reckon it’ll last me nearer 3 years and should be worth £200 as a trade in after that. We’ll see.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm Yeah, my earpiece had been muffled for a while. I thought it was just people mumbling before realising it was every call. I spotted you mention the same thing.

Yeah, it’s a grand before trade-in but that’s discounted by £150. I reckon it’ll last me nearer 3 years and should be worth £200 as a trade in after that. We’ll see.
OK thanks - so one last question - did they offer to fix the phone in-store whilst you wait? Or were you gonna be without it for a while?

And is the 'free fix' an official policy?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:40 pm I thought I liked the old fingerprint Apple Pay but I can't remember when I last used it. Will be interesting to see if I end up shunning it with Face ID too. I rarely pay more than £30 in one transaction so just use my card.
i rarely bother with my wallet any more - most of my purchases are stuff like lunch, drinks or little bits and pieces - I just use my phone for all of them.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 pm Yeah, my earpiece had been muffled for a while. I thought it was just people mumbling before realising it was every call. I spotted you mention the same thing.

OK thanks - so one last question - did they offer to fix the phone in-store whilst you wait? Or were you gonna be without it for a while?

They would have done it while I waited, but they said it would take about an hour. Not sure if it was a free fix because the phone was under 2 years old or what, but it came up as a free fix so may well be entirely standard for a 7.

I used Apple Pay to pay for petrol last night; it's a heck of a lot quicker than the old fingerprint method and it worked when my phone was quite a way from the reader, so the wireless stuff is clearly better too. Annoyingly it worked so quickly I used the wrong card to pay :lol:

When down in Devon a couple of weeks ago it seemed there were places which basically only take cards now, and places which only take cash, so you couldn't get by with just a phone. I like my wallet anyway; I switched to a thin sleeve with just two cards in it for a while but I missed patting my pocket to check my wallet was there.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Rich B wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:48 pm
Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:39 pm Ah, so two steps rather than one to use Apple Pay. That's the future, that is :lol:
Try one, you can do it all at the same time if you really want - but it works so nicely that it’s really not worth getting upset over.
see!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 am I like my wallet anyway; I switched to a thin sleeve with just two cards in it for a while but I missed patting my pocket to check my wallet was there.
Spectacles, testicles, wallet & watch! :D
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:11 am
Simon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 am

They would have done it while I waited, but they said it would take about an hour. Not sure if it was a free fix because the phone was under 2 years old or what, but it came up as a free fix so may well be entirely standard for a 7.

I used Apple Pay to pay for petrol last night; it's a heck of a lot quicker than the old fingerprint method and it worked when my phone was quite a way from the reader, so the wireless stuff is clearly better too. Annoyingly it worked so quickly I used the wrong card to pay :lol:

When down in Devon a couple of weeks ago it seemed there were places which basically only take cards now, and places which only take cash, so you couldn't get by with just a phone. I like my wallet anyway; I switched to a thin sleeve with just two cards in it for a while but I missed patting my pocket to check my wallet was there.
Good stuff. I'll book her a genius bar appointment to see what they can do
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I fixed this on my friends phone, dirt on the speaker. Easy
ste

Post by ste »

Same with the 7 I had. I consigned it to a drawer but a mate mentioned it would just need a clean. He stripped it, cleaned it and gave it back fully working. my son now uses it.
ste

Post by ste »

In fact, has anyone got an iPhone for sells? 6 or newer, preferably with box and charger. Child 2 needs one and I'd rather not deal with eBay etc.