Facebook is watching me!

Simon

Re: Facebook is watching me!

Post by Simon »

But there is still way, way too much coincidence for there not to be any truth in this.

Case in point - I popped round to my brothers house a few weeks ago. He wasn't home yet but his wife invited me in. I asked where he was and she said 'he's just coming past the Dacia garage' (a reference point in his journey) as she'd just spoken to him. A few minutes later Dacia promoted tweets (ads) appear in my Twitter feed. I've never searched for them, I never Google'd them. That was literally the only audible reference to them I'd had, and yet there we are - an ad based on that keyword.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Richard wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54 pm If they were listening like that, it’d be all over the news.

It’s not

So they don’t
It is well documented in the news. Google it.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Richard wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54 pm If they were listening like that, it’d be all over the news.

It’s not

So they don’t
Awesome use of 'logic' there 😂
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:13 am

It’s not

So they don’t
Come on JL, we definitely always get a true picture of everything in the world through the media. Anything they don't tell us about isn't worth knowing.
Richard

Post by Richard »

It’s not

So they don’t
Brilliantly obtuse as always

Can you not imagine how frothy in the gusset new media like Buzzfeed news would be if they have proof about this?
Richard

Post by Richard »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:37 am

It’s not

So they don’t
Come on JL, we definitely always get a true picture of everything in the world through the media. Anything they don't tell us about isn't worth knowing.
Careful your tinfoil hat doesn’t slip there Duncs
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Does anyone else think Richard has been living under a rock? A quick google shows it’s been in the media since about 2016, even the comedians have moved on!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Simon wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:18 pm But there is still way, way too much coincidence for there not to be any truth in this.

Case in point - I popped round to my brothers house a few weeks ago. He wasn't home yet but his wife invited me in. I asked where he was and she said 'he's just coming past the Dacia garage' (a reference point in his journey) as she'd just spoken to him. A few minutes later Dacia promoted tweets (ads) appear in my Twitter feed. I've never searched for them, I never Google'd them. That was literally the only audible reference to them I'd had, and yet there we are - an ad based on that keyword.
But you presumably spend some (or a lot) of your time browsing car-related websites?
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We spoke about fishing umbrellas on the way home from Shuttleworth on Sunday. Surprisingly they came up on my feed the next morning, it’s quite a regular occurrence.

Dave!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:26 pm We spoke about fishing umbrellas on the way home from Shuttleworth on Sunday. Surprisingly they came up on my feed the next morning, it’s quite a regular occurrence.

Dave!
Yes, we came up with stair lifts and hot tubs and adverts for both appeared within hours.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I wonder how effective it all is. I’ve never clicked on an advert on a website and it’s just so frequent that my eyes simply ignore them. Clearly a lot of fools must click them otherwise it wouldn’t be so commonplace.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I need some dental work done but haven't got around to doing ANY searching at all but yet by Facebook feed is filled with adds for services providing Dental Implants in Milton Keynes.

Which is specifically what I've chatted with by other half about - implants
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:50 pm Does anyone else think Richard has been living under a rock? A quick google shows it’s been in the media since about 2016, even the comedians have moved on!
Think he’s on the wind up, tbh.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I don't understand what you mean?

What's an advert?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:54 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:18 pm But there is still way, way too much coincidence for there not to be any truth in this.

But you presumably spend some (or a lot) of your time browsing car-related websites?
Yes, but I've never looked at the Dacia site, not searched for them. Sure it's not infallible proof, but it is at least one hell of a coincidence.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

240PP wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:19 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:50 pm Does anyone else think Richard has been living under a rock? A quick google shows it’s been in the media since about 2016, even the comedians have moved on!
Think he’s on the wind up, tbh.
I don't think he is.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:50 pm Does anyone else think Richard has been living under a rock?
Only if its a michelin starred rock.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

GG. wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:46 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:50 pm Does anyone else think Richard has been living under a rock?
Only if its a michelin starred rock.
:D
Richard

Post by Richard »

If you find me a proper article proving it, from a sensible outlet, saying my spoken word is secretly being recorded by my phone and used for ads, I’ll concede
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:09 pm I wonder how effective it all is.
Extremely. A medium sized e-commerce company can spend tens of millions of pounds on these adverts each year and get an excellent return on that investment. There’s a huge amount of data going on in the background to get the right ads in front of the right people.
Middle-aged Dirtbag