The Movie Thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Jobbo »

The Hustle - basically Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with ladies. Only OK.

Rocketman - Taron Egerton plays Elton incredibly well, and can sing. Might have been a bit less self-indulgent if it had been made after Elton had died. Still really quite good because the music, cast, acting etc are all great.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

John Wick 3.

I’m a fan of the first one, the second one was ok but the third was utter rubbish.

Spoiler....

Halle Berry was ok and her dogs were cool. The problem being the fight scenes looked like they took a dog agility course and popped a Persian rug over it, poorly done.
So many fight scenes were obviously choreographed, no realism to it.
How many glass boxes can we break ?
I’m surprised they didn’t meet Homer Simpson in the desert scene as he wandered from the chilli cook-off.
Angelica Houston was sinister, the back story to it was ridiculous.
Why did they try and add comedy into the fights? It was like the director really enjoyed hot shots part deluxe and wanted to put a little of that into the movie.
The motorbike scene was a disappointment.

Also I know it’s superhero style fighting but when you fall off. A building smashing into everything on the way down, you die.

A repetitive, silly movie where every single person in the world is an assassin.

3/10 and that’s only because I like the dogs.

Dave!
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Chinese and film night last night. Godzilla was my friend's choice.

My advice, don't bother, it is not as bad as the Transformer film I once watched but it is pretty close. Massive pile of steaming turd, not even Charles dance as a two dimensional baddie lifted the obvious plot.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Bale's accent :shock:
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

Gavin wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:34 am Godzilla was my friend's choice.
If you're after a good one try Shin Godzilla - it's directed by the Evangelion guy in a strangely dry civil defence procedural style.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Baby Driver
Mmmmmmm... Yeah. Odd with a weak story and completely implausible plot twist. It was like plain popcorn for the eyes: empty, insubstantial and unsatisfying.

2/10 plays of Harlem Shuffle

XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Didn't have high expectations, yet it was so bad I turned it off after 20 minutes. Until I gave up, it was a Vin Diesel wankfest with him pretending to be awesomely cool by doing cool things, making awesome quips and supposedly shagging a lot of beautiful women. It was dire. So very, very dire.

0/10 "too cool for school" looks
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:09 am Baby Driver
Mmmmmmm... Yeah. Odd with a weak story and completely implausible plot twist. It was like plain popcorn for the eyes: empty, insubstantial and unsatisfying.

2/10 plays of Harlem Shuffle
The music along is worth 5/10, but aye, the film was rubbish.
M235i
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

"Anyone who dislikes it dislikes fun."

I stand by my assertion 😂 Did you find Jamie Foxx entertaining? Plot is admittedly not the reason to watch it given it's primarily circus driving set to music :D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Peterlplp wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:50 am
Gavin wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:34 am Godzilla was my friend's choice.
If you're after a good one try Shin Godzilla - it's directed by the Evangelion guy in a strangely dry civil defence procedural style.
I love Shin Godzilla, brilliant movie.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Will check out Shin Godzilla, thanks for the recommendation.

I saw reviews for the new Godzilla movie were utter horse shit. The trailer looks great, but then its hard not to make trailers of big monsters amazing - although I do think Pacific Rim did a great job of also following through on the movie itself being good.

Watched The Favourite last night. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. It was utterly bonkers in the best way imaginable. Even now I'm not entirely sure what I watched but its dark humour was spot on and I laughed throughout. Olivia Colman was brilliant.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

From what I've seen on Twitter over the weekend, the critics hate Godzilla but the nerdy types who like monster movies have been raving about it. I'm still going to give it a chance, even though I wasn't that big on the first one.
An absolute unit
Richard

Post by Richard »

I watched Mission Impossible - Fallout the other day on NowTV. I thought it was really good. Certainly not winning any Oscars, but it was loud silly fun from beginning to end. Highly recommend if you’re into brain-out nonsense like that
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I broke my current phone on a hike up that mountain at the end :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

The Silence (netflix) - a story who's main character is deaf. Someone who's unaware of how much noise they're making vs a bunch of nasty creatures that attack based on noise. Surely being deaf is about the worst attribute given this threat?!

Also featured a bunch of loons who had cut their tongues out - presumably to make less noise? Except it would have no effect as sound comes from your throat, not your tongue.

They've clearly not thought this one through... :)
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

DaveE wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 pm The Silence (netflix) - a story who's main character is deaf. Someone who's unaware of how much noise they're making vs a bunch of nasty creatures that attack based on noise. Surely being deaf is about the worst attribute given this threat?!

Also featured a bunch of loons who had cut their tongues out - presumably to make less noise? Except it would have no effect as sound comes from your throat, not your tongue.

Ah, I think I saw this advertised. Will have to have a look.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:31 pm
DaveE wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 pm The Silence (netflix) - a story who's main character is deaf. Someone who's unaware of how much noise they're making vs a bunch of nasty creatures that attack based on noise. Surely being deaf is about the worst attribute given this threat?!

Ah, I think I saw this advertised. Will have to have a look.
I quite enjoyed it - even though the basic premis made no logical sense. A blind lead character (who might have more acutely attuned hearing than a sighted person) would make more sense IMO.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think the paper thin premise was that because she was deaf they were more used to being able to live with out making noise, they could sign to each other etc.

It was obviously trying to cash in on the recent sensory deprivation monster movie thing, stuff like A Quiet Place and Birdbox but Stanley Tucci is always pretty watchable and it had some good moments.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:42 pm Stanley Tucci is always pretty watchable
Agreed... :shock: :)

Fortitude went downhill after he was killed off
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

speedingfine wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:32 am

Bale's accent :shock:
Sorry, that looks awful IMO.

Bale, as ever, is comically/hugely annoying at the same time.

But theni didn't really like that Senna film either, so what do I know?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The Secret Life of Pets 2

An actual kids movie that we took the kids to see. The 1st movie was hilarious and quirky, and built a great universe that really felt like a secret life. The 2nd one isn’t like that at all. It’s 3 cliched tropes barely wound together to form some sort of storyline and a handful of genuinely funny moments. I’d was genuinely loling at some moments then wishing it would just end the next.

The best kids films manage to keep the kids from getting too restless and also entertain the parents. This film doesn’t do either of those things well enough. I get the feeling it cost a lot to make, because the marketing push has been huge.
Middle-aged Dirtbag