duncs500

Re: Best car you have ever driven?

Post by duncs500 »

Maybe you're right, although it is one of Foz's less cryptic posts. :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Marv wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:03 pm
Still, your R400 is certainly up there with the best I've driven. Certainly felt accustomed to it quickly, as I'd been driving another Seven for a few days prior. Your engine sounds way better than any four cylinder engine has any right to 😎
Very kind of you to say squire. 8-)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Supercharged Atom. Fastest, and therefore best car I’ve ever driven.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

CLS 63S Black Edition at Brooklands. Crazy turn of speed with 4 up and way more agile than I thought it was going to be.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Foz

Post by Foz »

duncs500 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:47 am Maybe you're right, although it is one of Foz's less cryptic posts. :lol:
Clearly I meant best at transporting a sofa and wardrobe from Inverness to Southampton! The GT3 with rear cage is surprisingly roomy and the cage offers multiple lashing points. :oops:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

See, Duncs?

SEE?!!
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Caterham 7 CSR:

M235i
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

duncs500 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:39 am Well I could be wrong, but I think he means best at being enjoyable/exciting to drive. Do you lads need a detailed instruction booklet to get out of bed in the morning? ;)
I also took a leap of faith and made a judgement call.

I think it would have to be my S2 Elise. It always seemed like an event, possibly because it was a weekend thing. Could have done with a nicer engine noise but I suppose that's part of the reason people put Hondas in them.
mik

Post by mik »

240PP wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am
I think it would have to be my S2 Elise. It always seemed like an event, possibly because it was a weekend thing. Could have done with a nicer engine noise but I suppose that's why the V6 Exige exists.
Yes.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Highlights.

Muircialago LP640 around Croft Circuit. Noise - Epic. Noise - Epic. and oof the noise. Big fast and Angry.

Edition 30 - Not so much the car but the drive and the situation. Misses in labour - hospital 30 miles away at 3am with one instruction. Get there FAST! We times the run on a saturday afternoon at 45 mins. i did it in 26. a very much guilty pleasure.

Cerbera - Driven two - Nefs 4.5 and my mate Bryan had a 4.2. each time its an absolute occasion.

Wesfield - can best be described as raw & dangerous. Not much is faster than it on track.

Lastly My Elise. Still makes me smile when i drive it even after nearly 2 years.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

mik wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 am
240PP wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am
I think it would have to be my S2 Elise. It always seemed like an event, possibly because it was a weekend thing. Could have done with a nicer engine noise but I suppose that's why the V6 Exige exists.
Yes.
Yep, Honda S2 or V6 Exige if I ever get back in a Lotus.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

GT3 996 around donington I think. Perfect.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I've not been privy to anything truly special, but some memorable cars include:

Fiat Cinq Sporting: that was hilarious - just made me laugh out loud. One of the most fun cars I've driven.

Arial Atom: that was amazing - I could imagine that always having an appeal if you owned one (much like say a Caterham might) as it's so different from anything else.

Brian's old Merc 500: it was a monster, but also really luxurious, felt like a bank vault, and was understated too. A real sleeper. Thought long and hard about getting one, kind of regret not doing it.

306 Rallye: temperamental, but on a good day (when the rear brakes weren't sticking) it was a hoot - the ride/handling balance was amazing. Not much power by today's standards, but it could be hustled and would carry speed as it rode so well. No a/c and so blisteringly hot on a sunny day (black paint didn't help!)

Golf R: right up there as one of the best "do it all" practical cars. Very appealing to someone who can only have one car, needs to park it on the street etc.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

DaveE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:48 am
Fiat Cinq Sporting: that was hilarious - just made me laugh out loud. One of the most fun cars I've driven.
Agreed - a car that loved to be thrashed.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

The "sportiest" is probably the 911 SC I rented for a weekend some years ago - raw, unfiltered, noisy, incredibly lucid and sharp handling and generally a real "meet your heroes" moment.

"Best all-rounder" is, surprisingly to me, likely to be the LOLvo I currently have; it's well-designed, incredibly comfortable and laden with helpful technology. It disguises its (considerable) mass rather well, goes like shit off a lovingly-polished shovel and can happily accommodate roughly the same load as a short wheelbase Transit.

But my all time favourite, the one car I'd never get rid of even if it meant selling the house, remains the 928 - yes, I know, but perhaps the supreme predictability of this goes some way to balancing the surprise factor above. The 928 offers a great sense of occasion; as the old Evo Knowledge section used to put it, it's "big-hearted and beautiful" and there's something profoundly pleasing to me about having a car that is equally happy hoovering the miles on the motorway with that great big engine churning away in the absurdly long 4th gear, as it is jammed in 2nd and howling round corners. I love the looks, the smell, the noise it makes - and the fact that it repays regular use. The fact that it is still (just) simple enough for me to do a lot of my own work on it is the icing on the cake for me. It's good for the soul.

Actually, I'll add another, the "sheer hilarity" consolation cup winner: a Mk 1 1.6 Focus I rented to drive to Birmingham for a meeting once upon a time. It was unremarkable except for the fact that I kept my foot literally flat to the floor all the way from Uxbridge to Birmingham (and back) - the furthest I have ever v-maxed a car and highly, if atavistically, entertaining.
Marv

Post by Marv »

scotta wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:31 am
Edition 30 - Not so much the car but the drive and the situation. Misses in labour - hospital 30 miles away at 3am with one instruction. Get there FAST! We times the run on a saturday afternoon at 45 mins. i did it in 26. a very much guilty pleasure.

Lastly My Elise. Still makes me smile when i drive it even after nearly 2 years.
Sounds like you were TRAVELING AT DANGEROUS SPEEDS and PUTTING YOUR PREGNANT WIFE AT RISK

Think your Elise must be down on power too, as I could keep up with it in my Golf 🤣
Oui, je suis un motard.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Marv wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:38 pm

Sounds like you were TRAVELING AT DANGEROUS SPEEDS and PUTTING YOUR PREGNANT WIFE AT RISK

Think your Elise must be down on power too, as I could keep up with it in my Golf 🤣
That elise was quite compared to a certain pink mini at Knockhill, except it seemed to be really slow in the corners and was holding me up, maybe the classic loltus handling isn't what the internetz says it is ;)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

MX-5 - best at sliding, esp. on ditch finders at the rear
306 Rallye - best at bounding over the Fens or Welsh b-roads
CLK55 - best at making a noise and destroying its tyres
A8 - best at wafting (and randomly stalling)
Yeti - best at carrying the family at subtle speed
Megane - best at providing lively acceleration and making my teeth judder
LP640 for three laps - best at making me getting nowhere near a car's limits.
Last edited by JonMad on Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left over crest; tightens.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Caterham Superlight SV around Elvington, never had more of a feeling of 'wearing' a car.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Foz wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:41 pm
Marv wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:38 pm

That elise was quite compared to a certain pink mini at Knockhill, except it seemed to be really slow in the corners and was holding me up, maybe the classic loltus handling isn't what the internetz says it is ;)
So my Elise wasnt as quick as your borrowed stripped and caged race car on stickier rubber round corners no? aw well.

Has your exige got a working engine yet?