Your fleet running reports

Simon

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Simon »

Took the Merc in today to have the vent airflow motor unit replaced under warranty. All done and the car cleaned again.

Had _exactly_ the same hire car as when it went in for the initial diagnosis before I went on holiday - a new A Class. Very different to drive from my C, but the main annoyance with it was how difficult it was to pull away smoothly with its dual-clutch gearbox. It seems to just grab and jerk as you pull away (requote at will).

They also updated the firmware of the powertrain control module (saw it on the job-sheet but hadn't specifically asked for it). They didn't say what it was needed for but it does seem a little keener to change out of first into second, even when using sport+. Will keep an eye on it in case it just needs to adapt to my driving style again.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Maurice wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:15 pm
Nathan wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:32 pm It's a beautiful track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN-DFEyHXIM
8-)

Probably not trendy to admit, but the Blades, Masiello & Page mix of this is wonderful.
Never heard that before. No bueno

Next you'll saying you prefer the Shadow Child Remix of Papua New Guinea
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Why did you make me YouTube that. It positively oozes Nando’s and Creatine.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Maurice wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 pm Why did you make me YouTube that. It positively oozes Nando’s and Creatine.
and that is....good?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I think it’s obscure music talk for not very good ?

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Not a clue. But they seem happy so probably best just to leave them to it, I guess.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Rich B wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 pm
Maurice wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 pm Why did you make me YouTube that. It positively oozes Nando’s and Creatine.
and that is....good?
Sounds like a Generation Z's date night.
Cheers,

Ian
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Brilliant - I'm using that
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:29 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:36 pm Just get the bent wheel straightened.
I’ve done this relatively successfully but it was still impossible to get it perfectly balanced (it balanced on the machine ok, but you could tell on the car that it wasn’t quite right).

However, you’ll almost certainly find that eBay wheels have their own issues. Cracks and bends are commonplace in used BMW alloys.
Had one of my fronts done a couple of years ago and had a front done on the 1er and had no balancing issues.

Had more issues getting the rears balanced last time despite no previous problems!
GG.

Post by GG. »

IanF wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 am
Rich B wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 pm
and that is....good?
:lol:

Nah - vegan cafe and spinach smoothie these days. I'm sure no self respecting generation Z would be putting that filth in their body.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

GG. wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:01 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 pm and that is....good?

Nah - vegan cafe and spinach smoothie these days. I'm sure no self respecting generation Z would be putting that filth in their body.
Agreed - and you thought us “millennials” were insufferable.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Maurice wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:41 pm
GG. wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:01 pm

Agreed - and you thought us “millennials” were insufferable.
Is that generational appropriation?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Tractor number 2 running and mobile.

Figured out how to remove the bonnet to remove the battery, bit of confusion when sticking a new one in, its positive earth, but thankfully still 12v.

Starter button doesn't work so you have to short the starter terminals, but I'm happy with that now I've done it a few times. A bit sparky and a bit jumpy the first few goes :lol: especially as you have to do it through the frame of the front loader and had no idea what that would do when the engine fired up.

Out of the shed for the first time in 10+ years 8-)

It's a lot more agricultural and hard work than the bigger one, and it's hand throttle only which takes some getting used to.
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I remember learning to use the hand throttle on a tractor, rather confusing at first. Although I found it more confusing that the breaks didn't work until you depressed the clutch pedal.

Edit: autocorrect failure... :D
Last edited by DeskJockey on Wed May 22, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sounds like you were on a wing and a prayer there...
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 pm Tractor number 2 running and mobile.
8-)

The Passat derv estate now has an mot after failing the first time when a couple of things packed up despite being fine the day before. I've got to decide what to with it now; if the aircon worked I'd probably hop into it so the A2 could get a good refresh, but it doesn't and it needs more than just a regas :roll:
John

Post by John »

I have absolutely no use for one or anywhere to keep it but I'd love an old tractor to tinker with. Due to lack of space I suppose a stationary engine will have to do :)
evostick

Post by evostick »

evostick wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:34 pm
evostick wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:13 pm Subaru is going back to the dealer with suspected HGF.

People warned me that the 2.5l petrol was no good.

I should've listened. At least it's still under warranty. Think I'll get shot when it's fixed.
The subaru dealer have admitted it's HGF. Today they rang up claiming that warranty co. (RAC branded outfit), were insisting that we foot the bill to have the engine out prior to them upholding, or otherwise, the warranty claim. i.e Can we have £2k up front please?.

A quick call to the warranty co. confirms this is utter bullshit and they'd only asked to see a vid of the bubbles in the coolant reservoir :roll:
Car is now being transported back from the main dealer to my local garage so they can carry out the warranty work instead.

Lies told to me so far by the Subaru main dealer;

We've never heard of a HG going on a Subaru before
We've never had to claim on an RAC warranty before despite using them on all our used cars for three years and we don't know if they're any good
The best thing to do is just part exchange it against another one
You need to pay us £2k in order to claim on the warranty we provided

I'm not going to trust them to fix the car.

My local bloke who advises me on all things truck related doesn't like modern cars at all. When I asked him to do it he went very quiet for about five minutes then went and had a long chat with the amiable lad he employs, came back and said 'ok we'll give it a go'. I'm guessing it might take a good long while but I know that he won't fucking lie to me.

There's a lot to said for having a car you can fix yourself. I might just buy another old land rover.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

evostick wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:06 am 'ok we'll give it a go'. I'm guessing it might take a good long while but I know that he won't fucking lie to me.
There's a very good chance they'll do a good job with that attitude - as they'll double check eveything & use good parts as they won't want to fuck it up.

Dealers are, and always have been, cunts.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Trucks in for the waterleak to be fixed (he reckons it will be a corroded fitting or a simple pipe that has started to deteriorate) and looks like I need a new AC compressor as the salvage one leaks, although not as badly as the original.

While I was there he asked if I wanted to do the work on the Subaru with him as the clutch isn't difficult just lots of bolts and time consuming due to the 4WD and the rest is just bolt on mods and a couple of oil seals. I'm still considering it as it would mean a nice day out of the office. I think he also wants me there so he can get as much info/help about setting up his mower to race as possible too. Not sure it will possible due to my work schedule though.

I need to also swap in the window motor I repaired at the weekend as the salvage one is showing the same symptoms as the original but at least I can now do a video on repairing them for youtube.

Carl.