New shiny: OnePlus 6t

Beany

Re: New shiny: OnePlus 6t

Post by Beany »

Richard wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:02 pm Those Mate 20 Pros are really very good.

Not sure I’d be buying a Huawei phone though? Maybe. I do have sercurity concerns though. Not that we’ve seen any concrete evidence about that yet though
What are the chinese going to do with that data that Google don't already? That's like being concerned that your favourite scatter cushion might get ash on it when the whole house is burning down...

I've got a Mate 20 Lite (I'm not as flush as some of you big spenders) and it's pretty nice too for a mid range phone - good screen, plenty fast enough, takes decent snaps, can handle a drop or two, lasts a couple of days with my (fairly light) usage model.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ive a p2o pro and its been superb - so much so got a p30 arriving for the mrs. A battery that lasts a day and a half is worth it alone.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

The new Pixel 3a makes a very compelling case for £400 IMO - and if it had wireless charging I'd be all in.

Seeing the biggest cheer during Google's I/O keynote yesterday for that phone's headphone jack was interesting - I wonder how many of the people who cheered it will actually use wired headphones?

Having said all that, I just picked up a new, sealed Pixel 3 for a rad more than the 3a costs, which seems like a bit of a bargain IMO.

It'll be interesting/good to go back to stock Android (had a Galaxy S8 for the last year), be able to get quick updates, the Q beta etc.

Can't wait.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

P30 is 24 quid on voda for 5gb, 80 upfront at the moment. Which is quite amazing as the phones brilliant. Probably no good for heavy users without access to wi-fi but ideal if it's no problem.

Considering the handset is 600+ it's a decent deal.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I'm still tempted by a Pixel 3a - all I use my phone for is music, maps, bit of browsing and WhatsApp. I've no need for a phone with 12GB of RAM and a 300 core CPU. TBH I'd stick with my Pixel1 if it weren't for the battery being crap.

Still amazes me how many people are paying £40+ a month for a phone. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I've a Pixel 1 (XL 128GB) - bought outright and was literally the of the first ones available - and I'd have a 3a if only they had more memory options, but I use more than 64GB and that's the only model option they do. Other than that the 3a is very reminiscent of the old Nexus 4 and I'd be all over it otherwise.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Had a (very!) quick play with this Night Sight mode on the Pixel 3 camera - it's awesome.

Utterly blew my iPhone 8 into the weeds.

And this feature was delivered as a software update I believe.

Very clever.

Random photo of lounge on iPhone 8:

Same from Pixel 3 using Night Sight:

Last edited by DaveE on Mon May 13, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Can't see the pics?

Ordered my Pixel 3a. With Quidco, and flogging the Chromebook, it's costing £280, so no complaints. Potentially I could sell the Pixel 1 to save even more.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Matty wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:34 pm Can't see the pics?

Ordered my Pixel 3a. With Quidco, and flogging the Chromebook, it's costing £280, so no complaints. Potentially I could sell the Pixel 1 to save even more.
Maybe Google Photos sharing links aren't all that, sharing...
Richard

Post by Richard »

The Pixel 3a seems pretty good to me

The screen feels a bit small with the old fashioned massive chin-bar, but other than that, I rate it

£400 well spent. Especially if you can get anywhere close to the £199 on eBay that those Chromebooks retail for
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

unzippy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:49 am I've just moved from a OnePlus 3t to a Huawei Mate 20 Pro.
No headphone jack but does have a SD card slot.

Feels like a massive step up compared to the old device. I've gone from charging several times a day to "I've yet to run the battery down in a day."
The camera is mind blowingly good compared to the previous.
Anyone wanna buy a phone...?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huaw ... SKCN1SP0NB
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sucks to be Haueaeawaaaaieiieoea.

I've only ever had either HTC smartphones (including when I sideloaded Android on my HD2) or my Pixel (effectively an HTC device). I liked the look of the P30 Pro but am just too smitten with the instant OS updates of Pixel over a 3rd party device.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Weaponising companies probably isn't a great move however it'll get a speedier resolution as lost revenue is a massive motivation.

The detail here is by the next update of android which is 8 months off. Long time and probably this will all have been sorted by then.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Holders of current Huawei smartphones with Google apps, however, will continue to be able to use and download app updates provided by Google, a Google spokesperson said.
No bother then.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Matty

Post by Matty »

I'm impressed with my Pixel3a. Battery life is the big winner after my creaking old Pixel1, but overall it's a good size, plenty quick enough and a nice screen.

Struggling to understand why it gets criticized for its slow processor. Not once have I ever had to wait for it to do anything...so why do I need it be be faster? Or maybe I just don't miss what I've never had.

I'm also very impressed with the camera. It's insane what they can cram in. Tested on my nephew with portrait mode on:

drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Replaced my s7 edge with an s9. Boring but it works and does what I need it to without dicking around. Only thing I’ll be playing with is the obd2aa plugin for android auto and torque pro. I’ve seen that the plugin gets the gauges on screen on the headunit which will be a good thing once the car is mapped in a couple of weeks.

Carl.