Your fleet running reports

Nic

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Nic »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:41 am
Coaster1 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:11 pm
Nic wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:17 pm Lupo stuff...
Sounds like a very fun car to drive.

Just had a quick look on eBay; I can’t decide if they’re still a bargain or they’re overpriced for a sporting supermini. :? As I said they damn cool though.

Thanks Mike for the article; high praise from Andrew Frankel.
They're quite expensive really, but then they always have been. But they do seem to be lasting better than many similar cars of similar age so I'd imagine overall as an ownership proposition they work out pretty well.

I thought my step daughters little 75bhp 1.4 16v lupo was a laugh to drive and definitely had character, would like to try a 100bhp sport or a GTi at some point.

Suspension on them is virtually identical to a mk2 / 3 golf, they just had a shorter separate rear spring under the floor to save boot space over the golfs coil over damper setup.
I think it needs spacers to help the wheels sit in the arches a bit better but I’m not sure it needs lowering, it doesn’t roll much. Also have a set of Oz superturismos from the golf that I’ll be putting on.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

£3k with engine and clutch is really good Nic.

It helps when one can do the work oneself or know the right people. I don’t have that luxury. :) :(
Nic

Post by Nic »

Initial estimate for the work was around £1200 but the engine was in a worse state than we thought, one of the plug leads broke as they were being removed for example. Still it is now a totally rebuilt engine which can only add value imo if I sell it.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Nic wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:44 am
I think it needs spacers to help the wheels sit in the arches a bit better but I’m not sure it needs lowering, it doesn’t roll much. Also have a set of Oz superturismos from the golf that I’ll be putting on.
General question. What are the pros and cons of spacers. Do they mess up the handling, as someone told me they'd add loads of torque steer? My Fabia has long wheel studs on the front, and the previous owner said it was with the intention of fitting some spacers, but he hadn't done so.
Left over crest; tightens.
Nic

Post by Nic »

JonMad wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 am
General question. What are the pros and cons of spacers. Do they mess up the handling, as someone told me they'd add loads of torque steer? My Fabia has long wheel studs on the front, and the previous owner said it was with the intention of fitting some spacers, but he hadn't done so.
They won’t add torque steer, perhaps a bit more strain on the wheel bearings but essentially it’s the same as adding a lower offset wheel to your car. Marginal benefits are an increased track.

As you have studs it’s really easy for you to add a wheel spacer and see how you like it.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:53 pm Steve, the towing capacity is probably insufficient for you!
Oh, I don't need a huge towing capacity. I just felt it was a good excuse to buy something daft :)

The Compact + trailer probably weighs about 1700kg. My 5-Series would pull it no problem at all. Until the day I need to get out of a muddy (or snowy) paddock, then I'd be screwed.
ste

Post by ste »

What 5 series is it? I'd imagine you're approaching an illegal towing weight at 1700kg. Loads of people are and don't realise.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

ste wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 pm What 5 series is it? I'd imagine you're approaching an illegal towing weight at 1700kg. Loads of people are and don't realise.
F10 530d - rated at 2000kg.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Nic wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 pm
JonMad wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 am
They won’t add torque steer, perhaps a bit more strain on the wheel bearings but essentially it’s the same as adding a lower offset wheel to your car. Marginal benefits are an increased track.

As you have studs it’s really easy for you to add a wheel spacer and see how you like it.
Thanks Nic. Will have a ponder.
Left over crest; tightens.
ste

Post by ste »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:37 pm
ste wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 pm What 5 series is it? I'd imagine you're approaching an illegal towing weight at 1700kg. Loads of people are and don't realise.
Ace, that's a lot for an estate car, but they're big buses aren't they.

Often (not) surprised at track days to see how many obviously illegal tow rigs there are. It's not unusual to see something E39 sized with something e36/e46 sized on the back. Plus they've loaded tools and spare wheels on the trailer too.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ste wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Often (not) surprised at track days to see how many obviously illegal tow rigs there are. It's not unusual to see something E39 sized with something e36/e46 sized on the back. Plus they've loaded tools and spare wheels on the trailer too.
I'm surprised there aren't more done for this, not least given the licence limitations that were introduced in 1997.

Actually I've just checked mine and the online checker says I'm limited to 3.5t+3.5t trailer so less than the 8.25t quoted on the Gov site :?:
ste

Post by ste »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:11 pm
ste wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm surprised there aren't more done for this, not least given the licence limitations that were introduced in 1997.

Actually I've just checked mine and the online checker says I'm limited to 3.5t+3.5t trailer so less than the 8.25t quoted on the Gov site :?:
Do you have C1 & C1E too? If so you can drive a vehicle >3,500kg / <7500kg with a <750kg trailer, hence the 8,250kg quoted on gov. site.

BE limits you to 3500kg + 3500kg, but C1 & C1E take over for higher mass if you have them.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I do aye. Just checked again and yep, 8.25t.

ISTR watching one of these Traffic Cops type shows once and they were targetting illegal towing weights. Primary target was, unsurprisingly, SUV drivers. I think pretty much every single one was over the limit.
ste

Post by ste »

It's not even the licencing that makes most illegal, it's exceeding the braked trailer capacity of the tow vehicle.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Trailer weight checks are very frequent around me.
ste

Post by ste »

How about fuel checks?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The groundworks people my parents used had a transit towing a 3 tonne digger replated as 2 tonnes - the transit was usually pretty loaded with block paving and other crap too. Still see them towing the same digger frequently as they’re very local.

Never had or seen fuel stops even when my car was pretty agricultural in spec and I went to a bunch of the local shows frequented by farmers - but if you’re going to run red diesel you might as well fit another tank and reroute the fuel lines. Plenty of space under ladder framed 4x4s to do that.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Yeah, VOSA will never think of looking for that 🙄
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:16 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:53 pm Steve, the towing capacity is probably insufficient for you!
Oh, I don't need a huge towing capacity. I just felt it was a good excuse to buy something daft :)

The Compact + trailer probably weighs about 1700kg. My 5-Series would pull it no problem at all. Until the day I need to get out of a muddy (or snowy) paddock, then I'd be screwed.
Towing weight for Grand Vitaras varies quite a lot depending on engine and trim, bizarrely. Ours is rated 1850kg which is more than I’d expected. The diesel 5dr (Renault engine, to be avoided) is rated 2000kg.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 pm The groundworks people my parents used had a transit towing a 3 tonne digger replated as 2 tonnes - the transit was usually pretty loaded with block paving and other crap too. Still see them towing the same digger frequently as they’re very local.

Never had or seen fuel stops even when my car was pretty agricultural in spec and I went to a bunch of the local shows frequented by farmers - but if you’re going to run red diesel you might as well fit another tank and reroute the fuel lines. Plenty of space under ladder framed 4x4s to do that.
They checked the exhaust when I was checked, that was a good few years ago though, over 5 as I didn’t have Maxwell then.

Dave!