Local elections

Simon

Local elections

Post by Simon »

Hobson's choice right?

Just got back from doing my civic duty. Between the two different polling forms for my area, there's basically 6 Conservative candidates, (hmmm, anyone else available?), a couple of UKIP (nope), a Labour guy (I guess he probably wasn't Jewish), and one guy from the neighbouring Residents Association who wants to open up a local junction that would permit loads of loads of through traffic to use the estate as a cut-through (moron).

When I lived at my last house in Berkshire there were a couple of Lib-Dem counsellors who did sterling work, who I spoke to on many occasions about local issues and who worked hard for their constituents. I was looking for someone like that. But they aren't even bothering to have anyone stand around here.

So it's basically choosing the least worst option instead. What a dismal state of affairs.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
tim

Re: Local elections

Post by tim »

Round here it's a tory stronghold, so although I had the choice of 2 each from Conservatives Labour and Lib-Dems I don't know why the other 4 bothered, they've zero chance.

I know both the tory candidates personally and they do a great job locally, so that's where my vote went. If it were a general election, I'm not so sure anymore.
John

Post by John »

Here in the People's Republic of South Yorkshire it's all about voting tactically. It's often fruitless though as many of the inhabitants would vote for Jimmy Savile's corpse if it had a red rosette pinned on it.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Can't vote Tory (cunts), can't vote Labour (Corbyn), I know our Lib Dem candidate and detest her personally with every bone in my body. Not sure who else is on the list yet.

Edit: just checked and that's the lot. FFS.

Also, the Lib Dem candidate posted on our local FB group last night. The first reply was "You are to grammar as Diane Abbot is to mathematics". :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Independent guy has been elected here for 8 years and he's great
GG.

Post by GG. »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:15 am Independent guy has been elected here for 8 years and he's great
If only there were more. I think party affiliation at local government level is a disaster. There are some truly terrible councils in London that act with impunity as inner city deprived areas will always vote for someone with a red rosette because "free stuff".

I'm sure the same is true of some tory councils but I'm talking about my own experience and I haven't lived in a council run by the Conservatives since I lived at home with my parents in the North.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I'm not sure I really notice much of a difference in things regardless of who's in charge... (Locally)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

GG. wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:02 am I'm sure the same is true of some tory councils but I'm talking about my own experience and I haven't lived in a council run by the Conservatives since I lived at home with my parents in the North.
Kensington and Chelsea didn't come out of the Grenfell thing smelling of roses. Wasn't there a something about them cutting services while keeping a cash fund to give preferred voters rebates at around election time as well?

Councils generally seem to be garbage. Glasgow council seems happy to let every historic building burn to the ground so they can let developers build unneeded student flats.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

1 Tory
1 Lib Dem
1 Green
1 Ukip
1 Lib Party

Meh. The previous Tory council did a half arsed job but the biggest issue was they secured the services* of Amey for much of their frontline services for most notably highways. It's gone to ratshit, they lost control last time around which was one of the big shocks as this was one of the few Tory strongholds in the north. Lab took over minority control and promised to feck Amey off but haven't.

Therefore there isn't a single one I'd vote for. I might have to spoil my ballot for the 1st time ever

*this appears to mean taking the cash, doing sweet FA and pissing off all the staff that were TUPE'd across from the Council leading to strikes
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

John wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:33 am Here in the People's Republic of South Yorkshire it's all about voting tactically. It's often fruitless though as many of the inhabitants would vote for Jimmy Savile's corpse if it had a red rosette pinned on it.
Aint that the truth. I cba so wont be bothering for the first time in many years.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I had a choice of 3: Tory, Lib Dem and Green. The parish council election was uncontested (the same parish councillors as always just nominating each other for the exact number of seats). Apparently I was the first person to ask about the lack of a second polling card despite not getting to the polling station until 1.45pm 😄

My polling station has moved though, which was fun.
sec

Post by sec »

Simon wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:41 am

So it's basically choosing the least worst option instead. What a dismal state of affairs.

TBF, that's the way politics has always been (well, since I started voting).
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

@Swerv - Ah, good old Amey. I've got them doing a bit on site for me at the moment... it's ok because the chap they've got running it at that level is pretty good, but their management level is horrendous. No surprise that Ferrovial are looking to sell!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Back on topic, council elections mean nothing really. I'm looking forward to the European elections though!
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

The Green candidate got my first preference vote this time, basically as a protest vote against the bigger parties.

I'm much more interested in the European elections.

Edit: I won't be home for the European elections and I'm too late to apply for a postal vote :(
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Decided to spoil mine. 1st time I've ever done that.

Duncs - They've already been fined a fook ton for failing to meet the required levels of service. Sad fact is, they're not the only ones. This is a cancer throughout UK Local Authorities that needs to be addressed. I've a disdain for most of these large service providers, AMey, Crapita etc. I just hope we reach a point before too long when Local Authorities realise they offer awful VFM and bring services back in house. Some are doing that now - Liverpool have done it up here I think.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Looks like it’s a vote for anyone but the Conservatives or Labour; aka a protest vote. Wonder what will happen in the European elections? 🤨
Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

IanF wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:30 am Looks like it’s a vote for anyone but the Conservatives or Labour; aka a protest vote. Wonder what will happen in the European elections? 🤨
Lib dems seem to have the strongest 'public vote' voice, which might tempt people. Whether it will tempt them enough to actually vote for them is another question! Meanwhile I presume Farage will get leave votes.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Simon wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:41 am Hobson's choice right?

Just got back from doing my civic duty. Between the two different polling forms for my area, there's basically 6 Conservative candidates, (hmmm, anyone else available?), a couple of UKIP (nope), a Labour guy (I guess he probably wasn't Jewish), and one guy from the neighbouring Residents Association who wants to open up a local junction that would permit loads of loads of through traffic to use the estate as a cut-through (moron).

When I lived at my last house in Berkshire there were a couple of Lib-Dem counsellors who did sterling work, who I spoke to on many occasions about local issues and who worked hard for their constituents. I was looking for someone like that. But they aren't even bothering to have anyone stand around here.

There’s always the option to spoil you ballot

Be counted as turning up and appreciating your right to vote, but without supporting any of the candidates that you apparently don’t want to vote for
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Richard wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:34 am Be counted as turning up and appreciating your right to vote, but without supporting any of the candidates that you apparently don’t want to vote for
This is what I should have done... but I didn't bother...

Definitely voting in the European Elections though.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…