Internal IT

DeskJockey

Internal IT

Post by DeskJockey »

First day in new role (but same company) and my access has been disabled. But apparently it is only 24h until the system has sync'd so I can work again... Nobody seems to be able to hurry it along.

FFS.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Re: Internal IT

Post by GG. »

First day holiday!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Sounds ideal !
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

If it wasn't because people need me to close out stuff from my previous role it would be.
---
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:49 pm If it wasn't because people need me to close out stuff from my previous role it would be.
Not your problem :D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Broccers wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:06 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:49 pm If it wasn't because people need me to close out stuff from my previous role it would be.
Not your problem :D
That is true. But as I am also going to working with some of them in future, I've made them aware that it is outside my control.
---
scotta

Post by scotta »

When I started a new contract at a major bank it took 2 weeks to get admin access to the systems i needed to work on!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

scotta wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:13 pm When I started a new contract at a major bank it took 2 weeks to get admin access to the systems i needed to work on!
I need nothing so controversial/dangerous. Just need to be able to get my email, browse internal sites and systems (booking leave, expenses, etc.).
---
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

As a contractor, I'm used to the first week being unable to logon to anything. Week two I can maybe get emails and access to the intranet to complete whatever induction/training they need to force on anyone.

I'm also used to the position of leaving on a Friday, handing back ID badge, then back the following Monday to get a new ID badge made, new logon and repeat the whole painful process of applying for logons to everything.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

scotta wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:13 pm When I started a new contract at a major bank it took 2 weeks to get admin access to the systems i needed to work on!
That's disgraceful - I'd expect a Major Bank to grant access to critical financial information on millions of people almost instantaneously to anyone who came to work there... :) ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

When I started here as a contractor, I had my laptop waiting on my desk at 8:30 when I arrived. A nice chap from IT services was waiting who got me up and running and by 9:45, I had full access to everything I needed.

Knowing the system and ensuring request are done in a timely manner always helps... ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ascender wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:28 pm As a contractor, I'm used to the first week being unable to logon to anything. Week two I can maybe get emails and access to the intranet to complete whatever induction/training they need to force on anyone.
Very much this. It used to drive me nuts but I now just accept the first week somewhere new is going to be inconvenient, awkward, non-productive and shit.
scotta

Post by scotta »

dinny_g wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:46 pm
That's disgraceful - I'd expect a Major Bank to grant access to critical financial information on contractors they interviewed 3 times for technical proficiency Then spent 6 weeks performing background PES checks on before employing them to have access sorted on the same day they started to the specific systems they were employed to work on.....
EFA.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I jest Scotta... :)

I know the pitfalls of working in the Banking Sector. Worst (or best, depending on your viewpoint) was De Lage Landen where, as a visiting supplier, I was "not allowed to physically touch any interface device which had connectivity to any computer with ANY access to the De Lage Landen environment"

When I visited their HQ in Eindhoven, I had to vocalise the sql commands to an admin who typed them into Toad for me. They then logged into my WebMail account (forcing me to divulge my password) in order to e-mail results back to the home office...
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I see it from the other side, though. Like hiring managers that only tell us at 6pm on Friday that they have a new starter on Monday that needs a laptop, phone etc. despite the fact that they get an email from our HR system that gives them the link to the new starter form that they need to fill in as soon as a candidate accepts their offer.

"Don't you keep them in stock?"

Yes, Karen, we keep thousands of pounds worth of hardware sat on a shelf, depreciating, on the off chance you're hiring someone. Or, you know, tell us 48 working hours in advance and we can just fucking order it on next day delivery. It's not like you've been waiting for your new starter to finish their month's notice in their previous job, or anything.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Just do the needful Dave, today itself please.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

And reply with the same.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

240PP wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:05 pm And reply with the same.
And revert.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I was astonished when I did some work for a private company that (unlike the dear old NHS) there was a group of people who also called themselves IT that would take a problem like a computer taking ages to load and slowing down your work seriously and come up to sort out the problem so you could get on with your actual job.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

One of our Execs: “When is this problem of slow files going to be fixed?”

Me: “What problem of slow files?”

Exec: “My team are always complaining about it, it’s been going on for months. When are you going to fix it?”

Me: “No one has raised any issues to us. Can you show me what’s happening?”

Exec: “Well, it’s fine for me right now, but my team say it’s a big problem.”

Me: “OK, can you ask your team to log a ticket every time it happens?”

Exec: “Yes, if it will get it fixed”

Number of fixes applied to file server: 0

Number of tickets logged for slow files in the month since this conversation: 0
Middle-aged Dirtbag