Mesh WiFi

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Mesh WiFi

Post by Jobbo »

I'd imagine any supplied router would work in a small new build house - there won't be 6ft solid chimney breasts in the centre, internal brick walls, copper pipes etc.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I have used the airport express and extreme line for probably 10 years. Put them in my house, my parents house, my grandmas house but I always connected them via cat5e. It was only 2 months ago when I opened a new express, connected the power plug and was yet to connect the cat5 cable when it connected to the rest of the WiFi network which baffled me - didn’t realise they did mesh but it was about 20% slower like that. Shame Apple discontinued it in search of bigger profit margins.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

This seems to be one of those things that the more research you do the less clear you are about which solution is the best.

I was waiting for Eero to release a version for sale over here but will give the BT Whole Home version a try, looks to be pretty keenly priced and getting good reviews.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Bought the Devolo magic 1 set and installed today.

Setup isn't the smoothest or simplest, but I made it work.

First impressions are that coverage is much better (no surprise, two APs after all), but more importantly the Wi-Fi is much stronger and faster.

With the supplied router there was often a delay or page fails, so far I've seen nothing of that.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Picked up the BT Whole Home pack from Argos, so its three "discs" for about £190. Setup was a breeze with the app which also checks out your location as you go to try and get best placement for them.

Anyway, the end result is that coverage is much better through the house and my son says he's getting much better performance on Fortnite, so that was always the main concern right?

So far so good.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Just an update.... after a couple of weeks I'm thinking the BT kit was an absolute steal. Its been utterly reliable, performance has been great, coverage is much better and that's even with the extra wifi devices we've added over that period of time.
Cheers,

Mike.
ste

Post by ste »

Same. I got the hub and satellite hubs free though. As an existing BT fibre customer, just phoned up and asked for them and they sent them out FOC.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I installed home hub yesterday and now I get 36mb upload in the garage. Previously I had no signal at all.

Very pleased and I set it up in 10 minutes so it must be retard proof.

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Ascender wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm Just an update.... after a couple of weeks I'm thinking the BT kit was an absolute steal. Its been utterly reliable, performance has been great, coverage is much better and that's even with the extra wifi devices we've added over that period of time.
I've got the Whole Home kit. It took a while and a lot of updates to get it reliable but it's largely great. It does lack some more advanced configurability that I'd like, though. For example, my TV randomly connects to the furthest disc at 2.4Ghz and 1Mb speed until I reset it and it then connects to the nearest disc (3 feet away) at 5Ghz at Ludicrous Speed. I'd like to be able to force it to 5Ghz but it's not an available setting and you can't set a separate SSID for 2.4/5Ghz networks.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:02 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm Just an update.... after a couple of weeks I'm thinking the BT kit was an absolute steal. Its been utterly reliable, performance has been great, coverage is much better and that's even with the extra wifi devices we've added over that period of time.
I've got the Whole Home kit. It took a while and a lot of updates to get it reliable but it's largely great. It does lack some more advanced configurability that I'd like, though. For example, my TV randomly connects to the furthest disc at 2.4Ghz and 1Mb speed until I reset it and it then connects to the nearest disc (3 feet away) at 5Ghz at Ludicrous Speed. I'd like to be able to force it to 5Ghz but it's not an available setting and you can't set a separate SSID for 2.4/5Ghz networks.
Doesn't that.....doesn't that entirely negate the point of it being a clever mesh network and connecting to the nearest node?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Beany wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm
Doesn't that.....doesn't that entirely negate the point of it being a clever mesh network and connecting to the nearest node?
Yep. It's really annoying and only seems to affect the TV, so I choose to blame Samsung.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Suppose it's likely it's got a shitty old wifi card in it that doesn't support being a bandsteered client with fast handoff, or some other 802.11 guff.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Yep. It's really annoying and only seems to affect the TV, so I choose to blame Samsung.
I'm not a geek so am asking a genuine question. As the router and tv are so close wouldn't it be easier, better and or more stable to plug in a cat6 (other cats are available :lol: ) and hard wire it??
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

McSwede wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm not a geek so am asking a genuine question. As the router and tv are so close wouldn't it be easier, better and or more stable to plug in a cat6 (other cats are available :lol: ) and hard wire it??
It's not a router, it's a wifi extender, and being wifi it isn't hard wired ;)
Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:50 pm
McSwede wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:56 pm

It's not a router, it's a wifi extender ... Fairy snuff

and being wifi it isn't hard wired ;) ... I ain't that hard of thinking :lol: