BBQs

Richard

BBQs

Post by Richard »

I would like to buy a Webber, or Webber-like BBQ this year

I’ll use it for grilling but also smoking

Any thoughtful advice? Knowledge? Jibes?
duncs500

Re: BBQs

Post by duncs500 »

What you want, is a Weber.
Simon

Post by Simon »

^^ That!

Coincidentally I was looking at Webers yesterday. Time to buy something decent rather than the disposables I've been using for the last few years...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The premium kettle is all you need, I don't get what the newer master touch brings to the table.

Lid on cooking for the win, my lidless BBQ owning mates are always amazed with the results :)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If you want to smoke properly, as in chuck a slab of meat in for many hours you need a tall vertical smoker if cooking over actual coals.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Carlos wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:09 pm The premium kettle is all you need, I don't get what the newer master touch brings to the table.

Lid on cooking for the win, my lidless BBQ owning mates are always amazed with the results :)
Do you mean 'performer'? Can't see a premium kettle...
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Simon wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 pm
Carlos wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:09 pm The premium kettle is all you need, I don't get what the newer master touch brings to the table.

Do you mean 'performer'? Can't see a premium kettle...
It looks like the Premium has been superseded by the Master Touch which is £60 plus more for a hinged lid instead of a hooked lid. You can still get the older version though.

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/web ... 4~14401004
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mito Man wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:22 pm If you want to smoke properly, as in chuck a slab of meat in for many hours you need a tall vertical smoker if cooking over actual coals.
I own such a thing, but space is of a premium, and it’s a bit of a one trick pony
Richard

Post by Richard »

It seems that what I want, is a Weber
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Richard wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:52 pm It seems that what I want, is a Weber
There's been weeks when I have cooked on mine everyday, from pizza's to whole chickens.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Here's the differences...

Richard

Post by Richard »

I guess the best one would be best, right?

Better is better
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I have 2...

Been outside in rain and snow for 10 years and both are perfect.

Buy once, buy right, get a Webber...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Mito Man wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:22 pm If you want to smoke properly, as in chuck a slab of meat in for many hours you need a tall vertical smoker if cooking over actual coals.
Rubbish. A Weber is perfectly good and can produce amazing food.

I've had a Premium but left it in the UK and took a Master Touch with me. I like the upgrades, they're pretty useful. For low and slow stuff I used to use a couple of fire bricks but have now evolved to a Slow N Sear and it's fantastic.

This is a fantastic site to learn from - https://amazingribs.com/more-technique- ... and-firing
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

We have the smallest one in the range and it's fine for a few people (4-5)

I'd recommend one of those chimney things that you fill with coals to get them going. Dead simple and quick to get cooking.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I didn't know it until just now but it appears I want a Weber
Left over crest; tightens.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yes chimney starters are great and they're an Aldi special buy this week at £4.99. The Weber one is 3x that and they do the same job.

The Weber briquettes are well worth the extra they burn hot and will last hours (3 hrs+) grilling.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Richard wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:52 pm
I own such a thing, but space is of a premium, and it’s a bit of a one trick pony
If you want the new one for grilling, why not get a gas BBQ? You already have the smoker side covered it seems.

I have noticed some very swanky looking gas ones from Everdure by Heston Blumenthal recently. Can't find any substantive reviews yet. I think I'm going to get a Weber Spirit E310 to replace my 12yr old Outback, which isn't rusty but looks shabby because I haven't been arsed to clean it properly for years.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Carlos wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:35 am Yes chimney starters are great and they're an Aldi special buy this week at £4.99. The Weber one is 3x that and they do the same job.

The Weber briquettes are well worth the extra they burn hot and will last hours (3 hrs+) grilling.
Actually, on the chimney thing, the bit I got wrong with them is that for them to work well, you need to fill them with coals.

I tried to use it half full, and the heat from the firelighters just escaped around the coals without getting them going.

So pack the coals in, shake them about a bit (to close up the gaps) and then they'll soak up the heat from the firelighters and spread it to the other coals.

Sounds daft, I know, but I got this wrong a couple of times
Simon

Post by Simon »

2 Questions. Food cooked on gas BBQs don't taste like BBQ food do they? Or do the 'briquets' add flavour?

Also, with the Weber Kettles, you can't lower and raise the grill? I thought that was important?