New shiny: OnePlus 6t

JLv3.0

Re: New shiny: OnePlus 6t

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yep OK that ain't right then! And agreed - it should last at least an mid-level pub session :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:39 am I was looking to replace my S8 as the battery wasn't lasting however since it's downloaded Android Pie the battery seems to be lasting a lot longer. I see on the Android site that they say they have reconfigured things to make the battery last longer so it seems to be true.
Speaking of which, my S8 updated to the new Samsung UI the other day - what a huge improvement.

You all know I'm a huge fan of stock Android, and therefore things like OnePlus, but this new UI from Samsung is head and shoulders above their previous efforts.

I've had a good play with the S10e and that's a cracking phone IMO - could well be my next move. (Although it's a sad sign that now the "cheap" version is over £650.)
ste

Post by ste »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:41 am I think people get too het up about battery life. When aren't you somewhere where you can charge it up? Even easier now as my laptop charging cable is USB-C therefore so is everyone's :lol: - but seriously - unless it's going flat in 30 minutes, just plug it in.
I guess that's true, you can leave your mobile phone plugged in charging and you won't have a problem. They'll probably eventually bring out a version with a wired call handling feature too that you can plug into. I imagine that would be more robust and the data might be quicker.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Well that comeback has well and truly put me back in the box I belong in :D obviously if it's faulty that's different but depending on use I can be down to 50% by lunchtime. So I plug it in to either my laptop charger, or my car charger, or a wall charger or a battery pack depending on my circumstance and life rattles on just fine 8-)
ste

Post by ste »

Oh sure, and for those other times where you're out doors for an extended period you can just carry a petrol generator. Actual device battery life is completely overrated. 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ste wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:06 pm Oh sure, and for those other times where you're out doors for an extended period you can just carry a petrol generator. Actual device battery life is completely overrated. 8-)
Don't need a generator, a cable drum with a couple of miles of extension lead is plenty.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

ste wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:06 pm Oh sure, and for those other times where you're out doors for an extended period you can just carry a petrol generator. Actual device battery life is completely overrated. 8-)
Range extender version. 😎
Cheers,

Ian
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Oh stop it now :lol: - you know exactly what I mean, you argumentative sausage :D all I'm saying is 12 hours is enough, beyond that it seems like something someone on the Internet would argue about......oh :D

Hey maybe I'm just better at cellular telephones than most people and don't find them to be a struggle 8-)
ste

Post by ste »

No, and of course I'm poking you with a stick. The change from 'range anxiety' to not is large though. My current XS I can be out for the whole day, hammer it and if I don't get to plug it in anywhere still gets me back home with charge remaining. Previous iPhone 7 I had to carry a powerbank with me and / or mains charger and you end up using the phone with it plugged into a bulky additional thing. Which when you've bought a nice phone partly because it's a nice sleek designed thing becomes a nonsense.

Days out on the bike, or on the piss are the worst as you just don't need the ballache of having to charge the phone while you're out.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Totally get it and of course I knew you were poking 👍🏼 tbh it's nice when they run out of juice anyway. You get to see stuff 😎

Edit - also being as old as I am and remembering how shit they used to be, I'm still overwhelmed at just how much processing power we absentmindedly chuck into our pockets these days. Let it burn some battery 👍🏼
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

DaveE wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:35 pm I've had a good play with the S10e and that's a cracking phone IMO - could well be my next move. (Although it's a sad sign that now the "cheap" version is over £650.)
I was having a go on my mates S10e at work. It's nice and all....but I kept thinking, what does it do that my 3-year old Pixel doesn't? Screens a bit nicer, cameras a bit better....but....£700? For that? Pass.

I'm only looking at upgrading because my battery struggles to get a full day even though I've set it to be in battery saver mode constantly :evil: otherwise I'd happily keep it.
Last edited by Matty on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yeah this echoes the points made on the previous page. New phones are just a little bit better than old phones, and just a little bit better doesn't translate to "must chuck a grand at it to have one". Not to me anyway!
ste

Post by ste »

Oh I don't know. First thing I do is put my phone on the table in front of me in a meeting. I want everyone to see I'm King Dick, alpha, don't argue with me I'm fucking right. I'll look around the table, if anyone's got an Android phone, they're instantly wrong. Whatever their opinion is or whatever they thought they were adding to this meeting. Gone. Vanished. Older iPhone on the table? The owner is getting treated like a rented mule.

So for that alone spending a grand and a half on telephone makes perfect sense yeah?
Last edited by ste on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ste

Post by ste »

I mean it saves me bothering to look at their watch right?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I remember now! You're an iPhone'er aren't you!!

It all makes sense now :lol:
ste

Post by ste »

Of course I am, for the same reasons I don't drink Tesco lager or wear shoes from Next.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yes, that's the same :D
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'm looking around the table at a conference and now realise I'm a nobody. Iphowned ☹️
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

ste wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:15 am Oh I don't know. First thing I do is put my phone on the table in front of me in a meeting. I want everyone to see I'm King Dick, alpha, don't argue with me I'm fucking right.
:lol:

Now I know where I've been going wrong.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'd genuinely forgotten that iPhone people really do think they're better :lol: