I daren’t show my other half that picture as she’ll want another three dogs 😁
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: 4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Post by IanF »

Ascender wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:43 pm Diesel looks like a proper little dude, nice one!

We'd never had a lab until we had Jet as a pup and then re-homed him - he's an incredibly smart and devoted little dog, but has bags of energy so would be perfectly suited to life as a gun dog or something similar (I can see why he was too wired to be a Guide Dog though). He's fairly relaxing in to life now but definitely needs a whole level of other exercise compared to the others.

Guide Dog puppy Danny has just turned one and will soon be off to do his final training. We've no doubts he'll make the grade and go on to change someone's life.

Unfortunately Guide Dog Ben who qualified was knocked down by a car at the end of last year in Belfast while working. He fractured a front leg so has now got a plate fitted and was reassessed but is now (unsurprisingly) scared of cars so has been retired from active duty. Of course we agreed to rehome him as he's a lovely dog and still loves soft toys...

So now we have five. Its way past the crazy-dog-lady stage but my wife seems happy although she is walking them in shifts now.

:o :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)
Cheers,

Ian
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mikeyb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:03 pm I daren’t show my other half that picture as she’ll want another three dogs 😁
:lol:

Bad news for Ben and the human he was with but at least he has a good home to relax into 8-)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Two is definitely the magic and sane number. Its very interesting watching the pack dynamics work themselves out though.

To be fair to her, George is a very old bod now and Danny will be going soon. Plus the uncertainty over Moose with his tumour... It would be really difficult to have said no to rehoming Jet or Ben though as they were both with us for over a year before going off to do their final training.
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

5 sounds awesome !!

Daisy the Jack Russell cross is going to have to go, we just cannot get her our of her molly coddled ways she was brought up in and that doesn't work in our house.

Our house rules, no dogs upstairs, no dogs on the sofa, dogs on beds when instructed and no barking at the door. I've spent more time trying to train Daisy in 6 months than the 5 years I've had Flash.

Sadly she spent the first 9 years of her life living under my MILs cardigan and is an absolute wimp. So if its cold she will sit and shiver for 10 minutes, then figure out no you aren't going home, stop shivering and go do doggy things. She starts fights when she is walking with Flash as she thinks she is tough. She is terrible on the lead, you can go weeks with her being fine and she would randomly jump into the road to take a piss. She steals the cat food, you let her outside for a pee and 10 minutes later decides the floor is a better bet. Plus if she needs the loo at 3am, she will bark to let you know, then see it had rained and toddle off back to her bed. All traits she had with the MIL, needy is just not strong enough a word.

So, she is going to a relative who lets her have free run of the house, goes coochy coochy coo a lot and is happy to have her eat off her plate.

As Flash had taken to sleeping in the play room when she barked at night and never really bonded with her its not fair on him either.

Sadly this doesn't mean I can now get Flash a buddy but it will be nice to be able to focus all my attention on him again.

So signed up to the Muddy Dog challenge in September with him which should be fun.

Dave!
scotta

Post by scotta »

mikeyb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:03 pm I daren’t show my other half that picture as she’ll want another three dogs 😁
Crazy dog lady Mrs A would happily have 5 dogs.

Our Friends have 4. They started with none after worrying that the cat woudnt get on with dogs. I then told her that our old dog Holly's sister was having a litter and to "Stop being a fanny, The cat will be fine" which led to her getting Oscar the yellow lab..Which then lead to another 3....
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

scotta wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:58 pm
Crazy dog lady Mrs A would happily have 5 dogs.

Our Friends have 4. They started with none after worrying that the cat woudnt get on with dogs. I then told her that our old dog Holly's sister was having a litter and to "Stop being a fanny, The cat will be fine" which led to her getting Oscar the yellow lab..Which then lead to another 3....
I can see how it becomes a slippery slope! I fancy having a German Shorthaired Pointer, and I know Mrs B would like a Vizsla... :?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:24 am Sadly this doesn't mean I can now get Flash a buddy but it will be nice to be able to focus all my attention on him again.

That's a shame :(

Maybe after nine years of doing things one way it was too much for Daisy to get used to doing things differently <shrug>.
Flash should feel more settled again though 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

It would have been Moocher's fifteenth birthday today. The weather was much better today, the best for a week or so, so I went to a park for a wander and saw some of her friends there. They were bouncy, smiley, and full of the joys of (almost) spring. It was good to see them (some I hadn't seen for a long while) and see they're well, nice to be recognized and welcomed by them, and good to see them taking advantage and making the most of the better weather. She'd've enjoyed it, sharing and spreading the happiness, exploring the sniffs of the new plants coming through, and would have found a comfy spot to relax and listen to the bird song in.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

It’s coming up to 6 weeks since we lost may, it’s been so strange not having a dog in the house. We decided we needed another one, so started looking and saw this boy on a local greyhound rescue charity website

Went to see him today and instantly fell for him, he was so friendly and just wanted fuss and to play as soon as he was let out to see us- so all things being well, he’s coming home on Wednesday 😀

(Forgot to get a photo while he was out, was too excited 😂)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

jamcg wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 pm It’s coming up to 6 weeks since we lost may, it’s been so strange not having a dog in the house. We decided we needed another one, so started looking and saw this boy on a local greyhound rescue charity website

Went to see him today and instantly fell for him, he was so friendly and just wanted fuss and to play as soon as he was let out to see us- so all things being well, he’s coming home on Wednesday 😀

(Forgot to get a photo while he was out, was too excited 😂)
Well done. That's a lovely looking dog.
mik

Post by mik »

Awesome. 8-)

Love his colouring.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Unusual (to me) colouring for one, makes him look rather serious!
Rescue/retirement dog ftw 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Lovely dawg.

Greyhound racing should be banned, it’s fucking stupid, training a dog for a few races and then dumping them off in a charity or killing them...
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

jamcg wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 pm

"Take me too."

Yup Mito, some of the rescued ones I've seen out needed much acclimatising, they were spooked by everything :(

I'm sure jamcg'll be good for the dog and vice versa 8-)
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

nuttinnew wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:00 pm Unusual (to me) colouring for one, makes him look rather serious!
Rescue/retirement dog ftw 8-)
He’s not actually a full greyhound- he’s definitely got saluki in him for the colours, they don’t appear on greys, not as far as I’m aware. He’s got something else in him too, his paws are about double the size of a greyhound
nuttinnew also wrote: Yup Mito, some of the rescued ones I've seen out needed much acclimatising, they were spooked by everything
As our last dog May was a greyhound we know about this- it’s just a case of reassuring and comforting and things become normal- she was ok with cars when we first got her but she was terrified of buses, but only took a few weeks for her to go from fully terrified, to mildly scared to finally just fully ignoring them. The work is definitely worth it as you end up with a loving and devoted dog st the end of it
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Watching a greyhound at full speed Is an awesome sight !!

They have incredibly soft fur, a lovely temperament etc, often over-looked family dogs.

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:36 am Watching a greyhound at full speed Is an awesome sight !!

They have incredibly soft fur, a lovely temperament etc, often over-looked family dogs.

Dave!
All of this 👍
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

What a lovely dog 😀
Cheers,

Mike.