New shiny: OnePlus 6t

DeskJockey

New shiny: OnePlus 6t

Post by DeskJockey »

Got it today and so far I'm liking it.

Lots to get used to, not least a modern android and responsive UI free of carrier rubbish.

Was very tempted by the Nokia 9, but initial reviews of the post picture snapping processing made me go for a safe bet.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Zonda_

Re: New shiny: OnePlus 6t

Post by Zonda_ »

Looking for a new phone in a couple of months. Cost?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

£499. Seems to be the going rate for a high end mid range these days.
---
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:58 amhigh end mid range
My brain refuses to accept this.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:59 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:58 amhigh end mid range
My brain refuses to accept this.
"Top of the midrange segment" better?
---
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I don't know, tbh.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:04 am I don't know, tbh.
If you don't know, how will we ever resolve this? Get a grip man!
---
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That is asking too much of me today :lol:
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:58 am £499. Seems to be the going rate for a high end mid range these days.
That doesn't sound unreasonable, should get close to £300 selling this one.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'd come to the same conclusion. Having done the midrange midrange (sorry JL) I wanted something better, but not willing to spend almost a grand.

So far it is very impressive and combined with the changes to the home WiFi it is a whole new experience.
---
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Can you only use the earphones that come with it as it doesn't appear to have a 3.5mm jack socket?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:06 am Can you only use the earphones that come with it as it doesn't appear to have a 3.5mm jack socket?
Looked at this and it does have sd slot either, other than that it looked tempting to replace my s7 edge that is out of contract very soon.
I’m still stuck as nothing seems noticeably better and the s7 edge still does everything I need very well. So apart from looking tired now cosmetically and having dropped off the version updates radar it’s a lot of coin to replace it for something essentially the same.

Carl
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It comes with an adapter from USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack, but no headphones.

No SD card, but I don't need that much storage, 128 GB is plenty for my needs, however if more is needed the 8 GB RAM/256 GB storage is an extra £80.

The main driver for changing was the state of the battery in my old phone. It was down to 46% of design capacity and wouldn't even get to a low battery warning before shutting down. That combined with it being abandonware with no custom Rom options meant it was done for.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Just to make the battery point again. Above average use (it is the weekend after all) and I took the phone off charge at 6.30am, still have 58% battery left.

Old phone when new would have been in the 20s by now, last couple of weeks it needed charging two or three times a day.
---
Richard

Post by Richard »

drcarlos wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:31 am
Zonda_ wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:06 am Can you only use the earphones that come with it as it doesn't appear to have a 3.5mm jack socket?
Looked at this and it does have sd slot either, other than that it looked tempting to replace my s7 edge that is out of contract very soon.
I’m still stuck as nothing seems noticeably better and the s7 edge still does everything I need very well. So apart from looking tired now cosmetically and having dropped off the version updates radar it’s a lot of coin to replace it for something essentially the same.

Carl
This is a big problem at the moment in the industry. Nobody needs a new phone. Back in the day, when you bought a new phone, suddenly it had a camera, then a camera where you could tell what it was you’d taken a picture of, then it was a smart phone with apps, then it was a smart phone with apps that’s wasnt all slow and shit

But now what?

New phones ARE better, but they’re not so much better they’ll make a massive difference to your life. Your current one takes great pics. The screen is good. And it still runs twitter

So unless you love new shiny, or your current phone is broken, why buy a new one
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I was just thinking this the other day. I was quite happy previously to have a phone last two years and then get a new one, as it had slowed down, or didn't have xyz on it and so on. But my S8+, a couple of years old, battered and cracked and so on, just doesn't need anything more than a refurb and I sure as hell ain't spending a grand on the latest shiny to save me getting a new screen for the current one.

(I also like telling people that it broke on the same mountain Tom Cruise was hanging off in the end of the latest Mission Impossible film :lol: - whilst true, the reality was a little mundane as I dropped it on a hike and it landed on a rock :( )
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I was looking to replace my S8 as the battery wasn't lasting however since it's downloaded Android Pie the battery seems to be lasting a lot longer. I see on the Android site that they say they have reconfigured things to make the battery last longer so it seems to be true.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I think people get too het up about battery life. When aren't you somewhere where you can charge it up? Even easier now as my laptop charging cable is USB-C therefore so is everyone's :lol: - but seriously - unless it's going flat in 30 minutes, just plug it in.
Simon

Post by Simon »

This is the first time I'll have had a phone for 3 years rather than 2 or 1. I've an original Pixel XL 128GB, and it still does everything I could want from it, and brilliantly. I imagine a Pixel 4 XL, if such a thing exists later this year, will be my next device.

Not helped by the fact that Google keep updating it so more or less all the features of the 2 and 3 are on my phone. And it still takes stunning photos.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:41 am I think people get too het up about battery life. When aren't you somewhere where you can charge it up? Even easier now as my laptop charging cable is USB-C therefore so is everyone's :lol: - but seriously - unless it's going flat in 30 minutes, just plug it in.
It was more that the battery would be draining rapidly and the phone would get very hot even though it 'shouldn't' have been doing anything other than being on. And I'm regularly in places where I can't charge it, the pub for example!