Avengers: Infinity War SPOILER THREAD!

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: Avengers: Infinity War SPOILER THREAD!

Post by Gavin »

seb wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:07 am 2hr30, too long for a superhero film imho. Logan bored me silly towards the end.
This one is the culmination of many films, some of which dragged out.

As a result this is pretty much non stop action. I couldn't believe how quickly it went by.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The film's running time flew by, I've been in movies of a similar or shorter length where I've been well aware of the time and end up fidgeting in my seat and wishing for the end. I never had that feeling once in this one and we even got there too early so had to sit through all the ads and the trailers.
Cheers,

Mike.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

seb wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:07 am 2hr30, too long for a superhero film imho. Logan bored me silly towards the end.
It's weird how some people place arbitrary time limits on a particular type of entertainment, films in particular. And in this case, the category of film too! :lol:

Tell me, what is the optimum running time for a) a superhero movie, b) a thriller, c) a comedy?

As I said in my original post, this film really only makes sense if you have seen all 18 leading up to it. However, you may still enjoy it if you've missed a few, but don't complain if you find parts confusing.

I plan on seeing it again, in IMAX, a) because it is one of the very few feature films to be shot entirely in IMAX, and b) to alleviate JL's anxiety following my failure with the first viewing.
I have a feeling it will be even more emotional second time as the cynical "meh, they'll reverse it somehow" crutch won't have as much effect...
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

David_Yu wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:44 pm
It's weird how some people place arbitrary time limits on a particular type of entertainment, films in particular. And in this case, the category of film too! :lol:
Bear in mind who posted that - the same person who wants free advice on Data Protection then on the third page confirms he hasn't read the replies.
seb

Post by seb »

Essentially I think it's just that superhero films tend to bore me these days. If it's a short film I might give it the benefit of the doubt, but the longer a film in a genre that I'm not mad about is, the less likely I am to give it a try.

I do struggle a bit with long films of any genre though, in the cinema; I can happily sit and watch a boxset at home for 6 hours at a time, but I think I just get a bit too fidgety at the bigscreen. I want to get up and get a snack/beer every hour or so, which obviously doesn't work too well.

JL, I can confirm I have read the replies and a lot of other GDPR resources today. As for "free advice", that's what forums are for, innit? Anyway, getting a bit off-topic in this thread.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

David_Yu wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:44 pm Tell me, what is the optimum running time for a) a superhero movie, b) a thriller, c) a comedy?
Easy... a) 2 Hours, b) 3 Hours, c) 90 mins

:D
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

As with everything in life, it is all about context and personal preference.

I don't care what the running time is, as long as the film warrants it, and if anything, Infinity War is too short at 2:30 hours!
Could easily justify a special edition at 3 hours or more.
The Lord of the Rings special editions were far better than the theatrical cut, as was Aliens and T2 (that scene with Linda Hamilton's twin performing surgery on Arnie's head was amazing.)

Cinemas want running times to be reasonably short so they can squeeze in more viewings, hardly the last word in being allowed to tell the story properly.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

David_Yu wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:51 pm As with everything in life, it is all about context and personal preference.

I don't care what the running time is, as long as the film warrants it,
totally agree. If I ever criticise a film for being too long it’s because the story doesn’t have the need or depth to be as long as it is.

There’s something to be said for a punchy film that packs in the plot into a short runtime though - quite a skill to get right.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Well that was disappointing.

The blacksmith scene was ridiculous. Re-start a sun by pulling these levers, that’s handy. The giant would have given some more convincing acting if he had said Fee Fi Fo Fum and casting the mega weapon in all of 2 minutes seemed such poor story telling.

Thanos was a great bad guy but after the scene with The Hulk whose strength goes up and down in each movie he got his arse handed to him by Ironman and a Spider. The continuity didn’t seem there for me. Previously un-stoppable mega beings lost their edge to fit the storyline. I’m fully expecting the ones left to be head-butted by a planet and in Marvels even MORER Infinityer wars part 2 that planet being beaten up by a galaxy someone found behind the couch. The creepy Harry Potter bad guy was good and a nice addition. Yet then they go and spoil it by having Black Widow, as a regular human, be able to again and again kick the butt of raging devil dogs who run at 50mph, silly.

Lots of action but the story has turned silly and just doesn’t gel at all anymore.

If the final scene was where it finished with Thanos finally relaxing having committed mass genocide was the end it would have left with some dignity. Knowing they will find some other character with even more powers from somewhere at the last minute makes them look like they are written by a pair of 5 year olds who just won’t let it die.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Just as I thought.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

My kids liked it and there were a few lols from me, so we were all happy. I ignored the plot and watched it for the action like a normal adult man. Looking forwards for the final film when Superman comes back to life and saves everyone.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

Rich B wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:56 am Just as I thought.
You mean just as Dave! thought. At least he went to see the movie. :D

I don't get what contribution you're making? You obviously don't like the Marvel films, so saying you don't like this Marvel film without even seeing it, seems a waste of your time?

I get what Dave! was saying, but this is comic book based story telling, not serious sci-fi.
The only bit that grated for me was Star Lord doing the whole rage thing again and messing up the plan HE came up with, albeit Doctor Strange let it happen because he knew that Thanos had to win this time (and Tony had to live).

Unlike the DC movies (and dare I say it, the new Star Wars trilogy), the MCU has worked hard over 19 movies to create characters we've come to know and love over the last 10 years. Their fate, and the story around it, is what makes the films interesting, not the completely impossible physics.
Or Iron Man would have died in the Mark I suit when it fell out of the sky... short series, that. :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You just don't understand David, all the science in these very serious documentaries should have been peer reviewed and accepted before the films were ever made.

How are we going to believe a giant alien can create a gauntlet that lets them control reality if we can't trust the science?
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

David_Yu wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 amYou obviously don't like the Marvel films,
The list David. Check the list.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:07 pm All the xmen films (barring the Japanese wolverine one)
Iron man 1
Batman begins and TDK (in my top five films ever)
Deadpool
For reference :)

Although only one of those is MCU so it's probably safe to say you're not a fan of those movies overall.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:49 am
Rich B wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:07 pm All the xmen films (barring the Japanese wolverine one)
Iron man 1
Batman begins and TDK (in my top five films ever)
Deadpool
For reference :)

Although only one of those is MCU so it's probably safe to say you're not a fan of those movies overall.
there'll no doubt be some “magic spoon” or “cosmic wheel” that’ll get written in soon to incorporate the xmen into the MCU too.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's very likely to happen now that Disney have bought Fox. They'd probably just retcon the X-Men in with a prequel or something though.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm retcon
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

:lol:

There are some things you just have to accept if you're a fan of superhero stuff.

The stuff like fluctuating power levels, nonsensical science, character deaths being used as an impermanent plot device and timelines that are functionally meaningless as they get scrapped and rebooted every few years anyway are all things that comic readers have been dealing with for years. You either accept it and enjoy the stories for what they are or don't.

Or the genius third option of reading the stories even though you hate them and complaining loudly to the creators on twitter for ruining your childhood. Those guys are great entertainment.
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Or just accept being an adult and moving past it all? 😂