Avengers: Infinity War SPOILER THREAD!

David_Yu

Avengers: Infinity War SPOILER THREAD!

Post by David_Yu »

As per title, you have been warned!

Saw this on opening night, but only 2nd biggest screen <boo> in 3D <yay?>.

After 10 years and 18 films of foreplay, it was a near-impossible task for this film to deliver on every level, but you know what? They came bl00dy close.
It was inevitably not going to be able to fit in the usual detailed character-development story arcs and changing relationships each one of the previous 18 managed to, but that wasn't the point of this film.

Overall, despite obviously knowing there would be some (!) deaths and that the story would not be concluded within one film, this was pretty spectacularly good.

I haven't seen an audience react in such stunned silence to the ending since The Empire Strikes Back, and that's the highest possible compliment.

Of course it was slightly undermined by knowing that a LOT of the deaths will somehow be reversed in Avengers 4 next May, but knowing the characters that survived had to witness all of those close up, and very probably, that most of them will die in turn in the effort to save them, is still pretty devastating.

The fact that 2 out of the 3 most recent MCU films, GotG 2 and Thor: R, were delightfully light hearted and funny, meant the dramatic change in tone was all the more shocking (despite some great humour in the first half).

Bravo, Marvel, bravo.

6 Infinity Stones out of 6.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Avengers: Infinity War SPOILER THREAD!

Post by Rich B »

Reversing character deaths... that is exactly the sort of crap that totally puts me off these Ill thought through films. If you’re going to make an over-arching story, make it consistent.

Same as how the first film will always have the “worst enemy evarrrr”, then a sequel is made and there’s some other “even worserer” enemy to have an even bigger fight with who’s been around the whole time, (honest it’s in a comic.)

Then if in doubt, add aliens!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Everyone knows you don’t like comic movies Rich, you don’t have to try so hard :).
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:37 am Everyone knows you don’t like comic movies Rich, you don’t have to try so hard :).
Not true, i like the ones with coherent plots.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

Rich B wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:20 am Reversing character deaths... that is exactly the sort of crap that totally puts me off these Ill thought through films. If you’re going to make an over-arching story, make it consistent.

Same as how the first film will always have the “worst enemy evarrrr”, then a sequel is made and there’s some other “even worserer” enemy to have an even bigger fight with who’s been around the whole time, (honest it’s in a comic.)

Then if in doubt, add aliens!
How about seeing the film before commenting? Sorry, forgot... daft suggestion! :lol:

Although I agree in general that Hollywood's greatest weakness is in not letting characters stay dead, the deaths in Infinity War (several trillion, in fact) and their permanence - or not- are intrinsic to the plot.

Oh and if there is one series of films that "ill thought out" and "incoherent" does NOT apply to, it is the MCU films.
There has never been a more integrated set of 18 (or is it 19 now?) feature films made.
You literally need to have seen every one of them (bar Ant Man, although maybe he proves crucial in the conclusion) in order to get every last bit out of Infinity War.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

David_Yu wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:20 am
Oh and if there is one series of films that "ill thought out" and "incoherent" does NOT apply to, it is the MCU films.
There has never been a more integrated set of 18 (or is it 19 now?) feature films made.
lol
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, character death and resurrection is an old comic trope as well. No one ever stays dead in comics.

Not seen the movie yet, I can’t deal with the morons you have to share the room with anymore.

I thought there was no way they could pull off this movie under the weight of expectation but the general opinion seems to be that it’s ace.
An absolute unit
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Watched it on Friday afternoon and it was epic. Girlfriend was in tears near the end.
M235i
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That was bloody good! Running time just flew by and it was brilliant to see the culmination of all those movies paying-off. They also handled all the different characters very well given the sheer numbers - better than they have done in previous ones where they had less to juggle. No Ant Man though! Enjoyed Dinklage playing a dwarf though.

The comment about reversing character deaths - have you seen the movie? Its obviously different to the normal shit they pull where it was all a dream or something. Presumably they will find a way to reverse what's happened but not everybody will make it back and I'm guessing there will be the odd sacrifice or two. Although I'm guessing Vision is toast along with Loki.

Did anyone spot the Russo's nod to their time on Arrested Development? The stair car was in the last Avengers and this time there was apparently a blue Tobias in one of The Collector's cases. I just noticed the thank you in the credits.

Oh, the only thing that took me right out of the moment? The two shots of Banner's head in the Hulk Buster which looked like they were CGI'd on by the work experience boy.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They can recast Loki in canon. The Asgardians power can be passed to other forms if needed. Both Thor and Loki have been women and Loki has been a little kid for a bit as well.

The more I think about it the more I’d like them to start dipping into the Young Avengers books to keep the movies rolling.
An absolute unit
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

Ascender wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:48 pm
Did anyone spot the Russo's nod to their time on Arrested Development? The stair car was in the last Avengers and this time there was apparently a blue Tobias in one of The Collector's cases. I just noticed the thank you in the credits.

Oh, the only thing that took me right out of the moment? The two shots of Banner's head in the Hulk Buster which looked like they were CGI'd on by the work experience boy.
I didn't know the Russo bros were involved in Arrested Development! Interesting, as their MCU films, (Winter Soldier, Civil War and now Infinity War) have been by far the darkest and most serious in the series (as well as being the best).

I will have to look out for the stair car and watch Infinity War again just to see the "analrapist". :lol:

And yes x infinity to that Hulkbuster shot. Easily the single worst CGI shot in MCU history. How did that make it to final cut?! :shock:

Having not made the effort to watch this on an IMAX screen, I have subsequently found out that this was the only MCU film to date shot entirely IN IMAX, so I might need to watch it again on said screen as the standard cinema screens are showing effectively a cropped version of how it was shot and intended to be shown.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

David_Yu wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:55 amHaving not made the effort to watch this on an IMAX screen
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?!!!!!!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

David_Yu wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:55 am
I will have to look out for the stair car
It's hard to miss once you know it's there :).

An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Well I enjoyed that. Am I right in thinking Captain Marvel will be coming in the next Avengers film? GIven we "know" there will be a Spiderman 2 among others, what order are we expecting?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Ant-Man & the Wasp this year and Captain Marvel next year are the only two before the next Avengers one. I'm guessing the end of Captain Marvel will segue in to the Avengers.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Cheers.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Nothing has been firmly announced for Phase 4 yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they were still pushing to get Fantastic Four back. Would open up a couple of really good bad guys for them.
An absolute unit
seb

Post by seb »

Could it be enjoyed without having seen many of the previous films?
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

seb wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 am Could it be enjoyed without having seen many of the previous films?
Yes, although it might be a bit confusing given the huge cast.
seb

Post by seb »

2hr30, too long for a superhero film imho. Logan bored me silly towards the end.