Your fleet running reports

integrale_evo

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by integrale_evo »

Depends if it sticks more of the front face of the tyre outside the natural inwards curve of the lower body.

I bet on a standard one you can't see any of the tyre from head on except what pokes out the bottom of the bumper. Spacers may have made a difference to this.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Woohoo! We have a tank track discussion!
ste

Post by ste »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:21 pm Depends if it sticks more of the front face of the tyre outside the natural inwards curve of the lower body.

I bet on a standard one you can't see any of the tyre from head on except what pokes out the bottom of the bumper. Spacers may have made a difference to this.
Yep, this. The lower portion of the tyres now present into the airflow whereas they were shrouded before.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

It's likely the Cd will be far more affected by the tyres sticking out than the frontal area.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ste, the guys are coming over later this week to do a full scan of the car, their full fluid dynamics report will follow later next week. We may need to borrow the car for full wind tunnel testing if the results are marginal though...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Please make sure it arrives like this for accurate baseline testing:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I doubt it would make much of a difference but on newer cars with air curtains you might be able to knock off a few mpgs as they do help a lot Image
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

The one thing I particularly like about curtains is how they run horizontally across the window.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:00 pm
Matty wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:34 am

Super Sports > PS4, aren't they?
Aren't the PS4S the replacement for the PSS? I thought the lineup was now Cup2 > PS4S > PS4.

I'm not sure if anyone watches "Tyre Reviews" but they've done good comparison here:
I think we're agreeing and disagreeing at the same time here :) yes they replace the SS but SS are still available and better than PS4 so I'd go with SS.

Unless I'm wrong. :lol:
PS4 better road tyre especially in the wet. MPSS only has slight advantage on track in the dry. I've changed from MPSS to PS4 on the rears of the M140i and they have been so much better in the cold/damp/wet. I'm looking forward to some more warm dry roads in the coming months and see how they get on.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ah - that's right. I always ignore the damp / cold / wet aspects because, well, Dubai :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

ste wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:04 pm . As soon as you add in that stop / start stuff and have to get up and down hills (Sussex is hilly, Belgium famously isn't) than you're instantly fighting that weight as well as all the drag. Usual tank average has hovered around the 19 MPG mark. I'm perfectly happy with that, it's a 2 tonne 4.8l V8 truck.
Bugger me, that's pretty much what I get from the 330 tank to tank if I end up just pootling back and forth to work (up and down a steep hill for a mile every day).

Not bad at all for a big barge with a pretty fecking big V8 in it.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

McSwede wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:35 pm
PS4 better road tyre especially in the wet. MPSS only has slight advantage on track in the dry. I've changed from MPSS to PS4 on the rears of the M140i and they have been so much better in the cold/damp/wet.
Good to know. I've always used MPSS and might try PS4 next time.
M235i
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Had an exciting drive on the M25 earlier, 20 cars ahead of me someone had a tyre come off and proceeded to swerve a lot and take out 3 other cars either side of them. Luckily I had space to avoid the carcass and bumper. Here’s betting the instigator of all this was on shagged tyres...
How about not having a sig at all?
ste

Post by ste »

Beany wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:21 pm
ste wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:04 pm . As soon as you add in that stop / start stuff and have to get up and down hills (Sussex is hilly, Belgium famously isn't) than you're instantly fighting that weight as well as all the drag. Usual tank average has hovered around the 19 MPG mark. I'm perfectly happy with that, it's a 2 tonne 4.8l V8 truck.
Bugger me, that's pretty much what I get from the 330 tank to tank if I end up just pootling back and forth to work (up and down a steep hill for a mile every day).

Not bad at all for a big barge with a pretty fecking big V8 in it.
A mile? Maybe consider walking the 15 minutes. I initially thought yours sounded broken as I’ve never known one to return so little. Eg my M3s and M5s did better. But if you’re lazily trundling at walking pace for a mile up a hill it stands little chance.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yeah that's pretty lame isn't it :lol: a fkn mile each way, poor bloody car!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:13 pm
ste wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:04 pm Frontal area will have been reduced by lowering, but the spacers have definitely increased it. I
The frontal area would have decreased by the amount of tyre showing from the front (ie not very much) but why would moving the tyres out with spacers increase it?
Because he now drives around leant right back with his arm hanging out the door.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:37 am Yeah that's pretty lame isn't it :lol: a fkn mile each way, poor bloody car!
The brother in law had a 330 and as a car it was lovely, nicely built, little buffeting at speed etc.

Same economy as our family bus when we all went on holiday together.

Oddly iun BMW like as they normally do the economy/ performance thing better than most.

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The lame reference was about the driver, not the car :)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

You’re expecting middle-aged Beany to walk up a hill?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Well - yes. Who uses a car for a one mile trip?!!