EOTR - Evo Magazine

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: EOTR - Evo Magazine

Post by Gavin »

I am still a subscriber but I have noticed recently how often within a review they have different cars. Picture of a blue RS3 saloon on the cover of a recent issue, then a grey one tested against the M2.

The Newcomer on the Bentley had two different interiors and a lot of the pictures now seem to be photoshop mash ups or old stock photos. Hardly the end of the world but not something I had noticed before as often.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'm a bit of a hoarder for magazines (not that I ever bought any apart from evo) and one day came across one from the early 2000s. Without exaggeration, I reckon there was 5x the content in it, and of course a full house of our favourite writers. Shame it all went south really.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mr Pish wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:17 pm I just noticed the website now blocks access if you use adblocker

bye bye :D
Probably cos there are a million ads on it that autoplay and pop out. I went to read an article posted from their facebook page but gave up as 3/4 of the real estate on the page is filled with adverts.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I really enjoyed the £1000 challenge, and Porter's column was always good. Remember the old watch threads? Sold mine on eBay not long after winning it.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I had two road angel things out of them - probably equalled the cost of my subscription over the years!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:15 pm I had two road angel things out of them - probably equalled the cost of my subscription over the years!
Me too.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Remember back in the early days when we all got a chance to be 'contributors' by (I think) having a thread or post that the staff found the most entertaining? Got our forum usernames in the credits of the paper mag.

I still have my Evo mug, which I got for something, can't remember what (pretty sure it wasn't letter of the month or owt).
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I got my Obama Watch, which definitely outweighed my sub cost.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

I got my Jorg Gray too.

Rarely worn now, but still like it.

Didnt offset 20yrs of subs, but definitely helped.
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

It turned out to be fairly simple to end it after that. Emailed and they replied after 10 mins saying "thanks and bye bye ;) "

I managed to get this months issue sent out again in the end as its not arrived yet.

Does anyone remember when EVO used to give out freebies - not just stickers either. I remember getting a hardback Subaru calendar as well as various other A3 calendars and I think a key ring.
Cockwobble
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Found my old evo sticker

Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I got the watch after the Obama one. It has never worked properly so only wore it once. :lol:
Marv

Post by Marv »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:20 am I got the watch after the Obama one. It has never worked properly so only wore it once. :lol:
Sounds like the Donald Trump of watches.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Beany

Post by Beany »

davecG60 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:35 pm Does anyone remember when EVO used to give out freebies - not just stickers either. I remember getting a hardback Subaru calendar as well as various other A3 calendars and I think a key ring.
Yeah, I had a calendar.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:01 pm I got my Obama Watch, which definitely outweighed my sub cost.
Yeah still got mine, never been worn. IIRC it was worth £250 then; a quick look on eBay shows that it’s now worth roughly the same. No appreciation :lol:

Still a subscriber, but I’ve only just finished the Oct17 issue so quite a few months behind. These days I tend to ‘binge read’ and then leave it for a while.
ste

Post by ste »

I still get it and have all my backissues too. I don't think I can stop buying it and to be fair, there's always at least one thing I enjoy reading in it. It's just a shame that I now skip the majority of the mag whereas at first I'd devour every word.