Apu in the Simpsons

ZedLeg

Re: Apu in the Simpsons

Post by ZedLeg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:53 pm
I mean, we had this debate many years ago in the UK, we decided it kind of wasn't OK for Michael Bates to play an Indian man in It Ain't Half Hot, Mum. An Indian actor might get away with it. Or Jim Davidson's Chalky character.
I kind of went to this point earlier on. If The Simpsons had been live action and Hank Azaria came out with brown make up and that accent it wouldn't have lasted long, I don't really see the difference just because he's not on screen.
An absolute unit
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Richard wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:16 pm Is it racist that people are only bothered by Apu, but not Willie, or the Mob guys, or Frink, or Wolfcastle, or Bumble Bee Man, Krusty’s Dad, etc etc etc
Have any Scots complained? Are mob guys a race now? Frink and Wolfcastle are caricatures of individuals, not races. Bumble Bee Man is based on a Mexican TV show, Krusty's Dad was played by Jackie Mason originally so wasn't someone pretending to be stereotypically Jewish. I'd be very surprised if you genuinely had thought about this and come to the conclusion that those things are the same.

I mean, we had this debate many years ago in the UK, we decided it kind of wasn't OK for Michael Bates to play an Indian man in It Ain't Half Hot, Mum. An Indian actor might get away with it. Or Jim Davidson's Chalky character.
Ironically Michael Bates was Indian
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’m personally more offended that Azaria voices Carl, when there so many Icelandic-African-American voice actors out there.
mik

Post by mik »

The whole thing is a disgusting sham.

The Simpsons shoukd have been a documentary about REAL PEOPLE who are PLAYING THEMSELVES. Anything else sickens me to the core.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Carlos wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:14 pm
Richard wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:16 pm Is it racist that people are only bothered by Apu, but not Willie, or the Mob guys, or Frink, or Wolfcastle, or Bumble Bee Man, Krusty’s Dad, etc etc etc
Have any Scots complained? Are mob guys a race now? Frink and Wolfcastle are caricatures of individuals, not races. Bumble Bee Man is based on a Mexican TV show, Krusty's Dad was played by Jackie Mason originally so wasn't someone pretending to be stereotypically Jewish. I'd be very surprised if you genuinely had thought about this and come to the conclusion that those things are the same.

Ironically Michael Bates was Indian
He had Indian citizenship, but he wasn't ethnically Indian, which you know full well.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:44 pm The whole thing is a disgusting sham.

The Simpsons shoukd have been a documentary about REAL PEOPLE who are PLAYING THEMSELVES. Anything else sickens me to the core.
this.

Though tbh, I had no idea the Simpsons was still running.