Bye bye Theresa

JLv3.0

Re: Bye bye Theresa

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:56 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:53 am I'm still absolutely in love with the term "gammons".
You obviously missed the whole debate on social media a few months back where Gammons tried to argue that the word Gammons was racist. It was fucking hilarious.
I did miss that, and I shall put it down as a fail on my part.

Bless them and their ill-informed, intransigent views :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I was looking through the list of potential replacements for May and I was thinking that Dominic Raab looked like the only one who wasn't completely awful, but then I remembered that it's only 2 weeks since he realised Britain was an island and that Dover was a port through which we move an awful lot of stuff.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:34 am I was looking through the list of potential replacements for May and I was thinking that Dominic Raab looked like the only one who wasn't completely awful, but then I remembered that it's only 2 weeks since he realised Britain was an island and that Dover was a port through which we move an awful lot of stuff.
The starkest point that I take from all of this, over the last 2 years, is that UK politics has actually been a sham for probably a couple of decades now. The first genuinely major issue that we've had to deal with as a nation for a long time, and the house of cards has completely collapsed. It's like they've been actors wearing masks the whole time. The real politicians appear to have fvcked off a very long time ago.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:38 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:34 am I was looking through the list of potential replacements for May and I was thinking that Dominic Raab looked like the only one who wasn't completely awful, but then I remembered that it's only 2 weeks since he realised Britain was an island and that Dover was a port through which we move an awful lot of stuff.
The starkest point that I take from all of this, over the last 2 years, is that UK politics has actually been a sham for probably a couple of decades now. The first genuinely major issue that we've had to deal with as a nation for a long time, and the house of cards has completely collapsed. It's like they've been actors wearing masks the whole time. The real politicians appear to have fvcked off a very long time ago.
and whilst all these politicians have spent the last 2 years 24/7 arguing about Brexit, the country has managed perfectly well to plod on no worse than when they were meddling in everything.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I just read that Dominic Raab and David Davis have been talking to the DUP about getting together to work out a better Brexit deal.

Am I being an idiot or has that not been their jobs for the last 2 years?
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:46 am
I just read that Dominic Raab and David Davis have been talking to the DUP about getting together to work out a better Brexit deal.

You are misguided. Theresa May stripped that role of any power or meaning back in summer. Hence why Davis quit
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:38 am
It was the most complicated negotiation ever attempted in British politics. Negotiating anything that pleased even some factions was an impossibility. There was always going to be a huge mess if leave won, no matter who was in charge.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:12 pm

You are misguided. Theresa May stripped that role of any power or meaning back in summer. Hence why Davis quit
Again, forgive me if I'm wrong but hadn't Davis already proven himself to be crushingly incompetent by that point. He had been there 2 years and done not much but lie about how much work he'd been doing iirc.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Again, forgive me if I'm wrong but hadn't Davis already proven himself to be crushingly incompetent by that point. He had been there 2 years and done not much but lie about how much work he'd been doing iirc.
Possibly. He is an idiot. I'm not entirely sure what any of them do tho in their "negotiations" given the work's done by the civil servants
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Beany wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:58 pm
"Favourite" is an odd choice of words. "Least cunty cunt who's still a cunt" might be better. Can anyone name anyone in parliament who they would actually want in number 10? The last politician I respected was Mo Mowlam and she's been dead for 13 years.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Not that he's likely to be a candidate, but Dominic Grieve would be my ideal PM.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Apparently TM has restored the whip to two suspended MPs who will vote in her favour on a no confidence motion (one of whom, Elphicke, had been suspended on account of accusations of sexual abuse that have been reported to the police and the other, Griffiths, who sent 2,000 sexts to two women).

Classy. Here's hoping she unceremoniously gets the boot.
Last edited by GG. on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

GG. wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:26 pm Apparently TM has restored the whip to two suspended MPs who will vote in her favour on a no confidence motion (one of whom, Elphicke, had been suspended on account of accusations of sexual abuse that have been reported to the police and the other, Griffiths, who sent 2,000 sexts to two women).

Classy.
and desperate.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

She's an utter donkey of a PM. But the alternatives are asses, so all that is going to happen is more uncertainty; except that there can't be another vote of no confidence for a year if she wins. Which doesn't look like a great outcome in itself. I'm happy to sit back and watch this unfold.
GG.

Post by GG. »

She's played a pretty significant part in the trashing of the conservative party hasn't she. Implicated in the decision to drastically reduce stop and search leading to increasing knife crime , presided over the Home Office for a significant period (despite is starting under Labour) whilst the Windrush debacle was going on (and then let Amber Rudd be the fall guy), disastrous leadership of negotiations with the EU, throwing away a near certain majority in an election and now reinstating suspended members accused of sexual misdemeanors.

Some record.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

You're spot on there. You've reminded me of her failures before becoming PM which makes it worse because I'd either forgotten those or erased them from memory. Frankly the negotiations with the EU have been the least awful of her deeds; she cannily made Davis and Raab the fall guys. I don't know if anyone else would have achieved a different deal; though how they would have spun it would certainly have differed.
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

Simon

Post by Simon »

She stays
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

She stays

Part of me wonders whether it was triggered for tactical reasons. If they can't have another for over 12mo, this ensures that she remains party leader even if the deal gets voted down in Parliament...